ESXi 5.0, SE11 and napp-it

PigLover

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been doing some testing of napp-it/SE11 under ESXi 5.0.

Most interesting result so far is that the Solaris 11 boot instability with more than 2 vCPUs seems to be cleared up. I've tested several restarts with every combination of vCPUs up to 8 cores. It boots stable every time regardless of the combination of vSockets and vCores.

good to know.

fyi, I have read alot about this, but I have not experienced any issues with powering on S11E under esxi 4.1 with 4 cores allocates...so perhaps it was corrected in a later patch?

E3-1230
Supermicro X9SCM-F Mobo, 4x pcie, C204, IPMI and iKVM (http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...04/X9SCM-F.cfm)
16GB ECC Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4G
Intel dual CT nic
IBM M1015 – flash with P10 firmware (~100 on ebay).
Crucial M4 128GB for the VM's
esxi on a 1 GB usb (already have an slc stick)
asolaris 11 express passthrough of 10 3TB drives to S11E

Anyone else have issues with boot problems when > 2 vCPUs? I wonder if gea's 3+ vCPU boot problems went away after ESXi 5, as mentioned in his all-in-one ESXi guide.

I ran SE11 on 4.1 with 2 vCPUs. It often took me 2 or 3 tries to get a good boot. Now on esxi 5 every boot has been good using the exact same VM.

I run Solaris 11 Express vm on ESXI 4.1 with 4 vcores and never seen a boot issue or hangup...

I think it does help mate...it means it was not nec. fixed in v5...or infact an issue for everyone in v4.1

ie. it's still a matter of trying it for yourself and seeing if your rig has issues.

so I think that does infact add to the data points wrt this issue.

Your logic is spurious. Saying 'it works for me in 4.1" says absolutely zero about whether it is working or broken in 5.0. We already knew it worked for some and not for others in 4.1.

so, dan, apart from berating my post, what have you added to the topic?

are you saying the op's test is pointless too? Your argument against my post applies to the op, just because it works for him...does not mean it works for others. areyousuggesting he should not have posted!

mate, If you ain't got nothing to say or add to the discussion, exercise some restraint dan and don't post.

Perhaps you can answer the question, is it fixed in 5 then?

Last edited:
Back