ESXi 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade/changed machine info

I did a software upgrade of one of our 3.5 esxi servers to version 4 last week. On one of the VMs there is a web based app that runs on IIS win2003 server and is a "data gate" to our IBM I5 so residents and employees can use a web based app to do various things. I just need to get one thing figured out about what happened afterwords:

After the 4.0 upgrade the site didn't work anymore. The dev of the data gate IIS application worked all day yesterday trying to see why that was. The same evening I did my 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade we also were upgrading the IBM I5 OS version. The dev called me and said the machine number on the data gate server had changed which caused the license to change which in turn rendered the app useless.

Question: Can a VMware upgrade cause something like that to happen? According to the dev of the data gate app, this was the cause however I have never seen this before, however, it really is the only thing that could have caused this IMO. I've upgraded to v4 from 3.5 on five other boxes and I've never seen something like this happen before. Anyone have any info?

Last edited:
Did you do the tools upgrade and then the hardware upgrade?

If you did end up upgrading the hardware, check your nic settings. I lost all the WINS settings on a bunch of servers when it installed the new nic and copied over the settings.

Another thing to do is go into the command prompt and do this:

Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.

Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER. - You must open Device Manager this way or it will not work.

Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.

Expand the Network Adapters tree.

Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.

This will uninstall the old network adaptor incase it has any overlapping settings with the new one. Usually you have to do this when you P2V machines.

No hardware upgrade. Simply a 3.5 to 4.0 software upgrade of ESXi. According to my notes, I did not do the VM Tools upgrade first on this particular box.

Once you upgrade ESXi to 4.0 you need to upgrade the VMware tools on each guest and then upgrade the virtual hardware on each guest from 4 to 7. Probably won't get any support from them until you actually complete the upgrade. You've really only done the host upgrade and you haven't finished the guest upgrade.

What ND40oz said. There can be a hardware change though, but I don't know what would have changed off the top of my head this time.

vmware tools upgrade (was NIC recognized as new? then the IP settings may have changed)

Back