ESX server + Acronis True Image Echo Server

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
So we are testing it at work currently. The directions are kaka to put it simply. Found some directions online to manually install the linux agent but after I put the console on another machine to try to do a backup, etc. it crashed the ESX server with a "oops" error ie BSOD for Linux I guess. The sales guy "thought" you have to put it on each VM machine but then how would it do a complete sector by sector backup?! :)

I am not quite following, did you install the Acronis agent into the ESX install?
Is this ESX or ESXi? Are you trying to back up the VMs or the host?

I am not quite following, did you install the Acronis agent into the ESX install?
Is this ESX or ESXi? Are you trying to back up the VMs or the host?

I installed the Linux Agent itself into ESX 3.0.1 which itself sits in Linux so that we can backup the whole host because we are moving the whole thing to another server. Ie ESX and all the vmdk's, etc. all in one shot and Acronis is suppose to do it sector by sector according to the specs.

Why dont you just setup ESX on the new box.
Then migrate the VM's to the new box

Personally I think backing it up to restore it to a different box is a bad idea. You really should have a good install of ESX since you are moving hardware.

I installed the Linux Agent itself into ESX 3.0.1 which itself sits in Linux so that we can backup the whole host because we are moving the whole thing to another server. Ie ESX and all the vmdk's, etc. all in one shot and Acronis is suppose to do it sector by sector according to the specs.

Repeat after me:
ESX is not linux
ESX is not linux
ESX is not linux
ESX is not linux
ESX is not linux
ESX is not linux
ESX is not linux

ESX does not sit IN linux. Do NOT install Acronis in the COS. You cannot back up a VMDK that way. ESX is NOT linux, not even RELATED.
And upgrade from 3.0.1 - it's End of Life and End of Support.

Why dont you just setup ESX on the new box.
Then migrate the VM's to the new box

Personally I think backing it up to restore it to a different box is a bad idea. You really should have a good install of ESX since you are moving hardware.

This. Your current method will not work and is not supported. :) Migrate the VMs, or import the drives, but don't try to back up the whole console and restore.

Back