eSATA so difficult?

Term-X

2[H]4U
I am honestly getting frustrated with eSATA. Through multiple mobos/chipsets/controllers, I have never been able to get it to work without issue. :mad:

With the Sil 3132 add-on card, I can't do a "Safely Remove" at all.

With my current mobo and my last one (ASUS P5B), it doesn't matter if I do Safely Remove or not (sometimes I can't do it because there is some hidden process that takes a shit and won't release the drives - dual docking stations). Turning it on again while Windows is still running won't guarantee they load up and get recognized. Sometimes I have to power cycle them 3-5 times before they somehow load up.

I've tried using scan for new hardware under device manager when they don't show but it doesn't help. I triple checked my BIOS settings and I have AHCI on where possible. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have tried swapping drivers around, I have tried to use "HotSwap!" but nothing provides solution to the issue. The docking stations just "choose" to work when powering back up again or choose not to. The only 100% solution I have found that works is restarting the computer while they docking stations are on.

Any ideas?

First thing to do is figure which controllers are connected to which eSATA ports on your MB. What MB are you working on?

Forget about the SI add-in card for now.

I was under the impression that running a dual hdd external storage unit required an eSATA connection capable of port multiplier.

usually that means an add-on card or a compatible chipset.

I assume that b/c your dual dock has only 1 esata and if you're using 2 cards you need to enable or utilize the port multiplier function of a Sil 3132 sata card.
Otherwise, SATA is good for only 1 drive and when you have 2 on one cable it throws windows off.

@Old Hippie

I am currently using the ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard. I believe, at least according to the manual, both eSATA ports (one regular 3.0Gbps and one powerESATA 3.0Gbps) are both run by the JMicron JMB363 onboard chipset.

@Disrupter911

Both drives on both of my dual docking stations (one is the blacX duet and the other is a generic dual dock station from monoprice) have no problem showing both drives - that is, when it actually works. As far as I am aware, both chipsets (the JMB362 and the SI add-on card) support port multiplier. On my previous motherboard, the ASUS P5B, it didn't support it, hence why I bought the SI card.

Download and update your JMicron driver from here.

Use the eSATA version...JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.62_WHQL_eSATA.zip.

Look in the BIOS for an eSATA/JMicron setting that makes that controller always in AHCI mode. The "eSATA" driver should do this for you.

As far as I am aware, both chipsets (the JMB362 and the SI add-on card) support port multiplier. On my previous motherboard, the ASUS P5B, it didn't support it, hence why I bought the SI card.
Supporting a port multiplier and being a port multiplier are two different things and I see no evidence of you having a port multiplier.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive dock including a port multiplier.

Supporting a port multiplier and being a port multiplier are two different things and I see no evidence of you having a port multiplier.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive dock including a port multiplier.

I see. I was not aware of that - though, if that were the case, would my both my hard drives not been seen at all at the same time? When they do work, I can transfer between both seated hard drives actively.

At any rate, I'll try the drivers you linked and report back.

When they do work, I can transfer between both seated hard drives actively.
You asked about eSATA.

If I can help with one problem I'll be doing fine. :)

When trying to figure out what's got files open try using the 'handle' program that's part of the sysinternals suite: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062

I've had mixed success with a dual 'bare drive' docking mechanism (iirc, mine was also a blackx duet). Sometimes drives would mount, sometimes not. I was extremely annoying. Most of the time I stuck with using the USB connection instead of eSata. At least with USB I could unplug/plug the device and the OS would see it properly (both Windows and Macintosh).

Yea sorry, got preoccupied lately.

Anyway, I tried the new drivers and switched off then back on all AHCI settings and so far it seems to be working. Drivers were the same version I had but I decided to install over anyway.

Seems to be working now. Really weird stuff.

Anyway, I tried the new drivers and switched off then back on all AHCI settings and so far it seems to be working. Drivers were the same version I had but I decided to install over anyway.

Seems to be working now.

You're welcome! :)

I guess I was just on a lucky streak. Had another case of turned on after having been properly turned off (re: Safe Removely) and the drives not being recognized.

Screw eSATA :mad:

Going to upgrade to a USB 3.0 dock somewhere down the road I guess.

I guess I was just on a lucky streak. Had another case of turned on after having been properly turned off (re: Safe Removely) and the drives not being recognized.

Going to upgrade to a USB 3.0 dock somewhere down the road I guess.

I was never able to get eSATA to work either.. I just have two long SATA/POWER cables sticking out of my case.. works like a charm :p

Oh Noes! :D

I've never had a problem.

I was never able to get eSATA to work either.. I just have two long SATA/POWER cables sticking out of my case.. works like a charm
That's eSATA. Some MBs used to use SATA > female eSATA plug in a slot cover.

The only difference with the OP's is a different chipset for eSATA.

I've been using eSATA since it came out (2004) and have never had a problem.

The only thing I can figure is that the chipsets in some of these external enclosures must not play well with eSATA.

I was never able to get eSATA to work either.. I just have two long SATA/POWER cables sticking out of my case.. works like a charm :p

I had a Thermaltake Duet eSata dock about 2 months ago and I was reading about all these problems; I got nervous and returned it to Newegg within the 30 days.

I now have two eSata cables from Monoprice running to the back esata ports. It works perfectly now.

have you ever tried a live linux cd? I have had really good luck testing hw that way i havent messed with the duets yet but standard esata on a dell was no issue. this would atleast tell you if the issue is a windows thing or if its a hw issue. the portmultiplexers can be a pain to trouble shoot since they are supposed to be seamless.

Back