"error loading os" message after removing a storage HDD

homIcIde

Limp Gawd
So I removed a storage hard drive from my computer to place in an external enclosure. While doing this I unplugged and then replugged in my primary hard drive. Now whenever I boot I receive an "error loading OS" message after my system POSTs. Both the primary and a second storage HDD are still recognized in the BIOS, boot orders are still set properly, and all the connections are secure. Whats the next step?

Can you give us a rundown of your hard drives, IDE or SATA and OS?

My first thought is that it sounds like the MBR or boot loader was written to the other drive that you pulled out, even though it wasn't the OS system drive.

Running Vista?

I had a similar issue with Vista... Loaded to c:\, but there was a D;\ at build time. D:\ went bye bye, couldn't load Windoqws. Had to re build! :mad:

Apparently, Winders loaded soime ninja shizzle on D:\, even though it was str8 storage.

Word

both drives are SATA, the main is a western digital the secondary is a seagate. the storage drive had been in a different computer previously, but was installed in this one from the time of build. no reformat or anything for it. i'm running xp pro. also, there is a third IDE drive in the system as well

Back