errmm... how can I remove the SATA power connectors?

ness1469

Gawd
I want to finish sleeving my PSU, but I bought a new TruPower 430 and two of there are SATA connectors on two the sets of wires that don't look like they can be removed.

Is my only option to hack them off then put them back?

Stupid SATA connectors. I wish I had known they were there before I got the PSU, or I wouldn't have! They are useless to me.

um, if they are useless to you, then why do you care. Hack them off, and insulate them. Problem solved.

Originally posted by Etacovda
um, if they are useless to you, then why do you care. Hack them off, and insulate them. Problem solved.

Because there is always the possibility of me getting an SATA drive....

It is in fact possible to take them apart. First off, there is a sort of black click that clips to the top and bottom of the actual connector that covers up the wires from the back. It should be easy to find and unclip it if you look for it.
From there you're left with the 4 wires and the SATA connector. All you need to do is pop out the wires. They sit comfortably in the connector by being cut by the metal prongs within it. To put the wires back in (I used a small flathead screwdriver) merely just push them tightly back in so the metal cuts through the wire in the same spot, making contact with the wire itself.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure you're not thinking of data connectors?

Most of the S-ATA power connectors I've seen are solid. Only way they're coming off is with some clippers :eek:

maybe you need to post a pic of what you have because the one i have is like a floppy

SATA power connector, no doubt in my mind. I had to remove one to sleeve my Thermaltake PSU. Was a simple process like I explained above, but perhaps its different for different brand PSU's

Here is what my SATA power looks like. The part outlined in red is all a little clip that you can take off to expose the wires.

www.calpoly.edu/~criggins

That picture is of a 90 degree sata power connector and is indeed removeable. Alot of PSUs come with solid unremoveable connectors.

My suggestion would be to cut the wires a few inches above the sata connector and make it moddular. Put a male molex on the wires connected to the PSU still and a female molex on the cut sata part. Then you can just sleeve it and connect it later if needed.

Originally posted by Syn
That picture is of a 90 degree sata power connector and is indeed removeable. Alot of PSUs come with solid unremoveable connectors.

My suggestion would be to cut the wires a few inches above the sata connector and make it moddular. Put a male molex on the wires connected to the PSU still and a female molex on the cut sata part. Then you can just sleeve it and connect it later if needed.

Hmm, I'd hoped to avoid doing this, but I guess it seems like my only choice now. :(

Back