Empire: Total War

What kind of cannon were they? Were you using canister shot? If so, how did you keep from mowing down your troops with the canister shot if they were in front of the cannon? If they were that other one that fires explosive shells, I can understand that...

Oh, and canister shot is the perfect weapon for massed infantry attackes.

I used canister shot and I probably did kill a few of my own men but the cannons were on kind of a small incline behind my troops, I didn't hit enough of my own to make them route or anything though and the general was nearby too so it keeps the morale up.

I love it so much. I'm in the 1740's now. I'm Russia. I have all of Russia's starting cities, Ingria, Coppenhagen, Stockholm, Yerevan, Tiblisi, Anatolia, Constantinople/Istanbul, Sofia, Athens, the place west of Athens on the same island type thingy, Cairo, Jerusalem, Baghdad, Persia's capital, the two cities east of Prussia's capital, and a lot more.

I used canister shot and I probably did kill a few of my own men but the cannons were on kind of a small incline behind my troops, I didn't hit enough of my own to make them route or anything though and the general was nearby too so it keeps the morale up.

that battle sounded nifty, please post the youtube link when you get it uploaded, I want to try this game but I've been too busy/lazy to download the demo...

I love it so much. I'm in the 1740's now. I'm Russia. I have all of Russia's starting cities, Ingria, Coppenhagen, Stockholm, Yerevan, Tiblisi, Anatolia, Constantinople/Istanbul, Sofia, Athens, the place west of Athens on the same island type thingy, Cairo, Jerusalem, Baghdad, Persia's capital, the two cities east of Prussia's capital, and a lot more.

Ah ha! So you're the evil bastards that decided to jump into the fray when I invaded Warsaw. (Poland wouldn't acquiesce to my demands to free West Prussia!) :D ;)

fun, but quirky. crashes on me once in a while (right after a win a big battle, thanks guys) and sometimes an entire unit will get stuck on a fence and just sit there while the same guy hops it back and forth. SRSLY?

Anyone have any screenshots?

I love Total War for the pure thrill of crushing people.

And i desperately need a new video card.

still, and the battles seem way, way less exciting without the melee units being the focal point....

agreed

units take so long to turn, they get maby 1 salvo off before the enemy charges in for melee. many times my gun units dont even get to fire their weapons.

Playing as Prussia on VH/VH...

The game was difficult upto around 1740's... then it's a cake. It's funny to see a minor nation with 1 city send full stack on line infantry at you every 2 turns...

Cant play it yet : /
Plays like crap, since SLi is fubar atm ...

Gimme SLi!!! Thank god i got RE5 to entertain me meanwhile... but dammit i want this game... its just sitting there on my Steam Acc... mocking me

I uninstalled this last night. After completing the tutorial campaign, I started a grand campaign. SLOW SLOW SLOW. Slow FPS, slow turn calculations, and between all that and some UI quirks, and the enemies tendency to retreat DEEPER into my territory faster than I could chase him down, I got angry and uninstalled it.

AI = "ill send a horde of single unit armies into your territory, raze everything, and ill use all my movement, PLUS when you attack me, ill get even MORE movement and run away, so you can never catch me."

How is that fun again?

So much potential, but it just doesn't get there.

Just had a very fun 1.5k vs. 4k troop battle.

Lets just say that machine guns rock.

I uninstalled this last night. After completing the tutorial campaign, I started a grand campaign. SLOW SLOW SLOW. Slow FPS, slow turn calculations, and between all that and some UI quirks, and the enemies tendency to retreat DEEPER into my territory faster than I could chase him down, I got angry and uninstalled it.

AI = "ill send a horde of single unit armies into your territory, raze everything, and ill use all my movement, PLUS when you attack me, ill get even MORE movement and run away, so you can never catch me."

How is that fun again?

So much potential, but it just doesn't get there.

Agree, I stopped playing after a week. The single player campaign is ridiculously easy to exploit at any difficulty and the game isn't deep at all. The multiplayer has such broken gameplay, all you have to do with artillery spam to win.

I really hope mods can salvage this mess.

Seems like completely crap compared to Medieval 2. I get the UI flickering bug in battles. Alt+tabbing out and back into the game fixes that though.

I play the game with every graphic option at max and the game looks worse than Medieval 2 which is a over two years older game.

Yeah, really makes it a shame that they screwed us out of the ability to sell it on eBay.

I cant state enough how much I dislike the game. Compared to Medieval 2 this game is just nothing. They took the corner stone of the game (combat) and turned it into exactly what 1800s combat was like, very orderly and boring. Line up men, shoot, kneel, shoot, artillery, fire.

Wheras Medieval is cavalry charge the rear of the armored units flame arrows attack the charging high morale troops horse archers flank the side to lower morale. Not to mention castle sieges are just boring fort sieges.

I dont think its their fault the game sucks, its just the combat of the period sucks.

So have they fixed this game yet? Does it STILL crash? I have a friend who plays this and he stopped talking about it. He tends to think the people who are having problems are the ones with computers that are low on the specs.. he has some high end quad core CPU, high end GPU.. ect

Latest nvidia drivers fixed most of the crashing for me. Haven't played it in couple weeks though.

I very much wanted to love this game. After about two weeks, I quit because I knew I was forcing myself to play and like it. The game is boring compared to the other Total Wars. I wasted $70 on this crap.

I cant state enough how much I dislike the game. Compared to Medieval 2 this game is just nothing. They took the corner stone of the game (combat) and turned it into exactly what 1800s combat was like, very orderly and boring. Line up men, shoot, kneel, shoot, artillery, fire.

Wheras Medieval is cavalry charge the rear of the armored units flame arrows attack the charging high morale troops horse archers flank the side to lower morale. Not to mention castle sieges are just boring fort sieges.

I dont think its their fault the game sucks, its just the combat of the period sucks.

Unfortunately, the game could still overcome the tactical combat shortfalls if the strategic game wasn't also so iffy. Just doesn't seem as robust as the previous games in the series.

Unfortunately, the game could still overcome the tactical combat shortfalls if the strategic game wasn't also so iffy. Just doesn't seem as robust as the previous games in the series.

yup... and it makes me sad... as a previously huge fan of the TW series, i've been "borrowing" the game by using a friend's steam account, and from what i've seen, it just isn't worth buying... even now, months after release :(

*waiting for the inevitable Rome 2 built on the same engine + refinements

I will give it a month or two and try again I suppose. I just love medieval 2 so much that I must force myself to give this game a few chances in hopes of capturing some of the magic.

Done. I really wanted to hold out and say the patch would fix a few things but it make it worse. I had the ottoman's about to take over Europe and after the patch 6 nations all declared war on me. Lost all my trade routes and had to disband most of my armies. I mostly recovered by the time i stopped playing but haven't been back since. Put 140 turns in to that world domination and i just dont want to see it through.... I was also hoping they would do something to the multiplayer to make it more customizable but that didn't happen.

Post-patch, the game is pretty stable. Some of my older saves are incompatible, though I can forgive that. Now if they would just fix the performance issues I'd be satisfied with the game. I mean I'm averaging ~10 fps in large battles...

so you've given up on the game?

I wouldn't say giving up but don't think I will be playing my current game any more. Maybe I'll start a short campaign and some multiplayer if my buddies want to play. Defiantly not going to be craving to play anymore. :(

Back