Email AntiSpam Solution for SMB

nuclearsnake

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

We are fedup of our consultants providing us with AntiSpam service that is not reliable. It seems that at least once a week email's stop arriving, or we can not release email's that are marked as spam that are clearly not. It doesn't help that many of the people here deal with Asia (Korea, Vietnam, etc) suppliers who our current AntiSpam service thinks are spam...

Anyway, I'm looking to move away from Netcleanse to something in house. I did some reading on IronPort, and Sophos. I would prefer an appliance, but if costs get to high, then I can deal with a software solution.

I can go up to 3000$ for this project plus license fees...

Has anyone experience with these products, or any other solution at this cost level?

Cheers

I forgot to mention that we are running Lotus Domino as our email server and Lotus Notes on the client side. :rolleyes::(

How many users? Secure IronMail and MailFoundry leap to mind as maybe worth a look, but similarly if you only have a dozen users or something low enough it's surely got to be worth looking at a hosted service?

The Barracuda will support most LDAP directories. It support Active Directory LDAP out of the box. From what I have read, it will easily support your Lotus directory. I haven't seen any information on this in the manuals and guide, but I am pretty sure their tech support can walk you through it as the last company I worked for sold several of them for this exact purpose.

The reason I mention the LDAP integration is that one you have the system setup, there is pretty much no user administration need. The Cuda will check incoming mail against the directory, drop it if the user doesn't exist, if the user does exists, it will check it for spam.

If a message get flagged as spam, it will automatically quarantine it (as long as you get the right model), it the email the user with log in information for their quarantine.

All in all, the Barracuda's are one of my favorite solutions given the right environment for them. Not every company wants an appliance. But for the ones that do, they are my first choice.

We use postini and love it. You also get the benefit of being able to access your mail when your internets/servers go done through their flexbox thingy. We also have a few clients that use it and are happy with the results.

If you have your heart set on an appliance, I highly recommend the IronPort. There is a reason Cisco bought them, they don't buy companies that suck. We support a school district that bought two of them running in round-robin for redundancy and load-balancing. After a year they have had one false positive reported and almost zero spam making it through to their exchange servers. They have about 2,500 mailboxes.

This would be for 50-75 users. The Barracuda 300 is a nice unit giving us the ability to move past our current user base, and also allow us to add more domains without having to license for more users (the owners love opening other companies and have 1 person do the same job for 3 companies, thus 3 email accounts). As for LDAP on Lotus, I can't see this being an issue as I've tied Lotus LDAP to our Xerox scanners and other products without issue.

I have looked into IronPort, but I can not justify the cost. (Maybe I was looking at the wrong products) The C150 was the device that I had looked at until I read the the cost was really really high vs others like the Barracuda

What would make someone go the IronPort route over Barracuda?

/me starts googling Postini

Back