Elite: Dangerous

Is there anything that can be done in groups? Is there a way to group up for activities? I was going to wait to get some better sticks, but it being on Steam now intrigues me.

The Wings update in v1.2 allows you to fly in groups of four. Haven't tried it yet.

I know every company can't be open, but I would like to have a break down of their KS sales, website, after launch, Steam day one, and Steam long term sales. Would be interesting to read. A couple of other Indie publishers posted their experiences last year.

For a life-long space-simmer like me, it was never a question not to buy ED just because it wasn't available on Steam. Just like the Blizzard and the iRacing fans, no habla Steam won't stop them. IOW, the core audience is already there. Steam availability has teh potential of picking up those on the fence or those new to the genre that weren't raised on WC, TIE Fighter or I-War. My gut tells me that audience in maybe thousands, but not tens of thousands....

And FDev hasn't really formally announced about Steam keys for existing ED players.

I think you're about to get a ton of new blood to shoot out of the sky. :) If a game is more than just nostalgia then it will attract a wide ranging audience.

The Elite Dangerous soundtrack has been added to iTunes, Spotify, Google Play Music and Amazon Music.

I've always had my own soundtrack going while playing ED. I've only heard this in snippets in YT/Twitch.

OH wow, on Steam. Maybe I'll buy it now.
I thought they said this wasn't technically possible due to their online infrastructure?

Game is excellent. I am a few weeks in and enjoying it enough that its all I play these days.

Yah, its learning curve is high, and it doersnt hold your hand at all, but its fun as hell.

Wish there was some kind of sale on this game... Or maybe some one knows a place where it's cheap?

Steam and ED's store are the only places you can get it right now. It'll probably go on sale when the first DLC module goes up. But that's months away. (not even sure if it's going to surface in 2015)

Flew my first Wings sorties in Open last night. Flying top cover for a TF2 buddy mining in an Asp in an RES in CD-34 9020. Worked great. And the voice comms was pretty cool. Winged for an hour and half, had maybe a minute of rubberbanding- but mostly solid connect throughout.

Going to configure a long-jump Cobra and do some deep exploring next.

Just picked this up this weekend. Have only done some space trucking so far. So far liking it, but hoping I can get into more of a combat role.

Anyone here play Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos? This game is giving me nostalgia for that one.

Anyone here play Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos? This game is giving me nostalgia for that one.

That's the biggest reason I bought ED. It reminded me so much of I-War 2. And I never played the original Elite or Frontier games. If FDev would put a Dreadnought-class corvette into the game, I'd be happy as a clam.

Does any one know if this game runs on one server? Or there are regional servers like Europe and US... I want a buddy of mine to play this game but hes in US and I'm in Europe...

Also system LHS 3447 Dalton Gateway my frame rate drops to single digits when I supercruise to that place.... Any one?

As someone who nearly didn't get his BS because of space sims, I'd be playing the shit out of this if I wasn't married and had a lot of responsibilities that keep me from playing an immersive game. I actually feel bad that I backed SC because I will probably never really be able to enjoy it (if/when it is fully released). With the way that game has been progressing, I think I'd enjoy Elite more. The videos for it have me sold, but I just don't have the time or money for it anymore.

As someone who nearly didn't get his BS because of space sims, I'd be playing the shit out of this if I wasn't married and had a lot of responsibilities that keep me from playing an immersive game. I actually feel bad that I backed SC because I will probably never really be able to enjoy it (if/when it is fully released). With the way that game has been progressing, I think I'd enjoy Elite more. The videos for it have me sold, but I just don't have the time or money for it anymore.

Weekends, my friend...weekends. :cool: I backed SC before getting into Elite Dangerous this time around, and absolutely enjoy it the more I play it. Been waiting for years for a decent space sim to come back around, and this one (Elite) is it! I've even gotten my 16 year old into it, and he's enjoying it as well. We go on bounty missions together in some of the resource extraction zones, take on larger ships like the Anaconda and just have a blast together.

Get it, and get you a HOTAS to fly with. You'll get some time eventually, and it'll all be worth it!
thumbsup.gif

This may be a redundant question, but what's the SP experience like with the newest builds (assuming there is one)? Can a person get the "Elite experience" by just going SP or does a person have to go MP to enjoy the game to its maximum potential?

This may be a redundant question, but what's the SP experience like with the newest builds (assuming there is one)? Can a person get the "Elite experience" by just going SP or does a person have to go MP to enjoy the game to its maximum potential?

To be honest, I've only seen a handful of other pilots in the game and I've been playing MP exclusively since late February. My concern is that I don't have enough time to generate cash to get a decked out ship. I've only come across one hostile PC, who, unfortunately fired upon me. Now, I had a couple beers in me, was going to "live and let live, it was just a stray hit" until I warrant-scanned him and saw the 35k bounty.... I ended up decimating him. In my defence, a simple "whoops, sorry man" would have stopped my attack.

I guess, the "offline" mode is pretty much my experience with "multiplayer;" I just don't see a whole lot of non-NPC's out there, but I tend to keep to myself until I can afford the big ships and cash to actually outfit them.

Hmmm. So, I take it there is a rewarding SP component to the game? I've been chomping at the bit to purchase ED, but I just don't to the whole joining a group/MP sort of thing. Call me a loner, but I just find the SP campaign experience far more to my taste.

(I also play a mean game of tennis, which probably speaks volumes about my co-op sensibilities.)

Hmmm. So, I take it there is a rewarding SP component to the game? I've been chomping at the bit to purchase ED, but I just don't to the whole joining a group/MP sort of thing. Call me a loner, but I just find the SP campaign experience far more to my taste.

(I also play a mean game of tennis, which probably speaks volumes about my co-op sensibilities.)

This is the main reason I haven't gotten this game. It sounds like all the elements i'd like to play, but when asked about single-player portions or inflated grinds due to it being focused on multiplayer, I never felt like anyone could give me a straight answer.

There is no separate "singleplayer campaign". Everyone plays in the same universe. The only difference between singleplayer and multiplayer is the ability to see and interact with other players.

ED is a true sandbox game. When you first start up you're placed in a random station. Nothing tells you where to go or what to do. It's entirely up to you what to do next.

If you're the type of person that needs some form of guidance or narrative in their games, then stay far away.

But if you simply find the idea of flying a space ship in our galaxy alluring, then you will get a lot of enjoyment out of this game. The ships are very fun to pilot, combat mechanics are great, and there's a decent variety of things to do, especially in multiplayer.

Also, the 1.3 update coming out soon will add faction wars, 2 new ships, overhaul the mission system and a bunch of other stuff. The developers are pretty on-point when it comes to delivering content.

Just so I'm painfully and perhaps pedantically clear on the subject, there is no overall campaign in the game, correct? There is no story progression and, indeed, no story at all?

I'm not implying that that's a bad thing, as the original Elite (and its sequel) were the same, but I just want to know exactly what I will (and won't) get if I decide to make a purchase.

Also, what's the verdict on KB/M play versus a HOTAS setup? Can KB/M players keep up and are the controls tight or clunky?

You are correct.
I bought this when it was supposed to have a single player element, then they took it out and didnt allow a refund if you had already joined in the beta.
I tried playing it but its a huge huge time sink for little reward.

You may love it.
I played the original Elites to death and dont want to do the same thing again.
These days there is enough memory to have a lot more gameplay.
I no longer want to play just to become Elite, I want a decent game.
Not worth the money or my time as it stands.

You didn't want more Elite, so you bought a game called Elite by the same person who made the first one? Makes sense.

Last night I came across a big chunk of space that was 'permit required' to enter. I guess they have sectioned off areas for aliens or whatever.

You didn't want more Elite, so you bought a game called Elite by the same person who made the first one? Makes sense.

It helps if you read what I wrote.
It was also going to be a single player game when I bought it, not just the basic Elite experience.

I'll quote it again for you.
I bought this when it was supposed to have a single player element, then they took it out and didnt allow a refund if you had already joined in the beta.

Litfod, Nenu said he bought the beta when they advertised an SP campaign. To add double the amount of salt into the wound, they apparently reversed their decision (probably after the campaign ended and funds were collected) AND denied refunds to people expecting a SP experience. I think Nenu is entirely justified in his (or her) dissatisfaction.

I don't recall ever hearing about a "campaign", rather only about a single player mode....and that single player mode in the original Elite had no campaign nor a story line either.

You are correct.

You may love it.

They never said the game would have a single player campaign.

You're talking about the proposed offline mode, which would have been the same 'game' as the online mode.

You are correct.

You may love it.

Thanks. I guess I'll hope SC offers that which I've been craving.

I'm so fucking glad that people that enjoy this game they play this game and whiners stay tha fuck out, less idiots online. Go pay 150 dollars for the ship in a game that is not released yet, and keep dreaming...

I'm so fucking glad that people that enjoy this game they play this game and whiners stay tha fuck out, less idiots online. Go pay 150 dollars for the ship in a game that is not released yet, and keep dreaming...

lol take it easy bro

I haven't purchased anything for either game. I just want a sweet successor to like Freelancer or Privateer and I'm not into MMO's anymore cause I just don't have the time to spend grinding.

I've never played in the Multiplayer 'Verse, per se. Basically, a friend of mine created a private group and that's the only thing I log into online. So basically, it's online, but since it's a private server then we don't have to worry about any of the grievers, yet it's tied to the entire multiplayer 'verse for exploration credits and such. We explore, collect bounties, take on missions that the local outposts and stations have to offer, etc, etc.

It's my understanding that the new V1.3 update will be bringing more to the game by introducing "PowerPlay". Essentially, it lets you align yourself with certain factions and take on their goals, interstellar domination, etc. Probably not my kind of thing as I enjoy exploration, but I think it'll introduce some new aspects to the game that others are interested in. I'll reference a link to the latest newsletter for you guys to check out, if you want to know more...

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=b0a8ebba0b

Ax

Back