Electric bill

SeanG

n00b
With POCOs raising their rates, I'm curious to see what y'all are paying on powering your equipment, especially in these summer months where you need to run the A/C as well.

I just got an $800 electric bill. Two Lian Li 343s with Dual Operton Tyan motherboards (older models) and about 25 1TB hard drives between them. Plus a Promise Tech iSCSI array with 12 1TB hard drives in that. A Vista Media Center, XBox 360 acting as an extender, Sonicwall, two Netgear switches is what is on 24/7. I got three Panasonic plasmas too - 65 inch, 50 inch and a 42 inch which get about 5 hours of use per day between all of them.

Then there is the Central AC which I need to run even when I'm not at home to keep my dog cool (although I do raise it a couple of degrees with the scheduled events). Oh and speaking of AC, the server stuff is in my garage which has a portable AC in it running 24/7. Maybe I should try to eliminate that and figure a way to get my central AC in there (cool air in with no return as that can bring carbon monoxide back into the house).

we freak out when we get a $200 bill.

i would probably /killself if i got an $800 bill

oh, im in New Zealand so a $200 bill here would = $150 approx.

I think the OP needs to turn his shit off and go out for a walk. :D Geezus... that's more than my current RENT AND POWER combined... damn. Studio apartments ftw!!! Next month's power bill will probably hit about $100 and that's with our AC on more often than not. Vegas gets freakin' hot in the summertime, donchaknow...

...I just got an $800 electric bill. ...

For only 1 month? wow... and I thought my bill was huge, but I get billed bi-monthly, lol. Then again, my water and sewage is tossed into that same bill... so yah, wow.

Our bill is about 250 a month with 4 computers on >.> ( and ac to cool them)

Making a small wind turbine with my friend, if that works out i should be able to store quite a bit of juice >.>

And I freak out when mine goes over $40. I guess never being home isn't so bad after all. The water heater (and fridge) is repeatedly my largest expense, but I don't leave computers on all day folding either.

The largest I got used to while running PCs all day at home was a little over $100, but that was sans AC and with everything electric and me abusing it all day. With heat/AC up to $130 wasn't unheard of last year. Even then, the actual computer use was only a small fraction of the main offenders, which were water and space climate control. The computers didn't even make a big dent in the AC footprint, but the monitors sure did.

Wow, 800 for a month is ridiculous! I can see you spending a lot due to all the electronics in the house, but I would guess that the plasmas and the a/c unit are the big power hogs. I have a 42" Plasma and 42" LCD and the lcd uses half of what the plasma does...the factory specs on the plasma says 425watts...

On another note, do you have stock in your POCOs???

Back