Elder Scrolls V is coming !

As long as they de-Oblivion it and use what worked in Morrowind, I'll be OK. Vanilla Oblivion was about as boring as it gets, you have to mod it for it to be truly good.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this. I played Morrowind for 100's of hours, and I never even bothered with the main story. I went around doing little side quests, breaking into vaults, and searching for all of the "legendary" items (ex. Daedric Crescent, Umbra, Cuirass of the Savior's Hide, etc). In contrast to that, I played Oblivion for all of about 8 hours before I just put it aside. It seemed incredibly boring in comparison. Even modded, I just could never get into it.

Yeah, not tech V, too late in the dev cycle anyways. But do think it's possible though that John Carmack is doing some help/consulting/advisory for the new Elderscrolls game? Maybe borrowing a few snippets from the Tech V engine.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this. I played Morrowind for 100's of hours, and I never even bothered with the main story. I went around doing little side quests, breaking into vaults, and searching for all of the "legendary" items (ex. Daedric Crescent, Umbra, Cuirass of the Savior's Hide, etc). In contrast to that, I played Oblivion for all of about 8 hours before I just put it aside. It seemed incredibly boring in comparison. Even modded, I just could never get into it.

I third what LeninGHOLA said. Though I spent 100++ hours on Oblivion still. There is something in the atmosphere of Morrowind that I can't quite describe. Most fantasy RPGs are just medieval + magic (though not necessarily bad). Morrowind didn't feel like that. It was almost otherworldly.

Same here. Oblivion was very uninspired. Hopefully this next game is at least semi enjoyable without tons of mods.

Perhaps I should play ES IV...but with the disparaging comments the game engine have me thinking it over.

When I sat down to play Oblivion the first time (and the last), my biggest gripe was the Superman character. I don't like the idea of a guy who wears plate armor, using any kind of weapon but can also heal himself and cast arcane magic spells. Throw in some NPC auto-level/balancing and it just seems like they are making the game way to easy. Where are the traditional RPG's like M&M?

The Oblivion game was beautiful and had nicely designed area's. The character development definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. If you want a melee character that can heal, give him potions. If you want a arcane wizard who has armor and swords, give him pets.

Complaining about the game engine is so extremely overrated. :rolleyes: You guys are making it such a bigger deal than it really is.

I don't think everyone really understands the complexity of creating a game engine...The Fallout 3 engine with enhancements could mean far more than you are giving it credit for.

The version of Gamebryo Besthesda is using is at least four years old, most likely 5 or 6 depending on when engine development on Oblivion was finalized. They enhanced it a bit for FO3 and Obsidian used it in New Vegas. Gamebryo is an amazingly moddable engine, but Bethesda hires some of the worst coders I have ever seen (Obsidian is a close second). With this kind of game you expect a certain level of bugs to pop up and for it have some problems, but Bethesda's games go beyond that and the company ALWAYS drops support for their games long before they're fixed. The shit port of Saint's Row 2 on the PC is more stable than any of Beth's big RPGs.

Oh well, this is likely the last time we'll see them use Gamebryo. The company that makes the engine is up for sale and unless someone buys it the company and the engine are going away.

I third what LeninGHOLA said. Though I spent 100++ hours on Oblivion still. There is something in the atmosphere of Morrowind that I can't quite describe. Most fantasy RPGs are just medieval + magic (though not necessarily bad). Morrowind didn't feel like that. It was almost otherworldly.

I spent uncountable hours with Oblivion, too. I just wouldn't really call it a true RPG, I played it more like an exploration simulator I suppose. Morrownd felt unique and much more unforgiving.

Level scaling, poor itemization, sterile environments, being able to max every skill and stat, no truly difficult encounters. Oblivion neutered what made me like Daggerfall and Morrowind so much.

If Bethesda can learn from their mistakes and give us an expansive RPG, one where chatacter development actually means something, they can make alot of money.

I spent uncountable hours with Oblivion, too. I just wouldn't really call it a true RPG, I played it more like an exploration simulator I suppose. Morrownd felt unique and much more unforgiving.

Level scaling, poor itemization, sterile environments, being able to max every skill and stat, no truly difficult encounters. Oblivion neutered what made me like Daggerfall and Morrowind so much.

If Bethesda can learn from their mistakes and give us an expansive RPG, one where chatacter development actually means something, they can make alot of money.

They made a lot of money with Oblivion. I'm sure this game will be a lot like Oblivion, probably exactly like it in fact. Same piss poor writing (well thats a guarantee with Bethesda), same copy and pasted world, mostly the same RPG-lite mechanics. I expect a game where modders will once again have to fix shit to make it a good RPG.

They made a lot of money with Oblivion. I'm sure this game will be a lot like Oblivion, probably exactly like it in fact. Same piss poor writing (well thats a guarantee with Bethesda), same copy and pasted world, mostly the same RPG-lite mechanics. I expect a game where modders will once again have to fix shit to make it a good RPG.

Oh, I have no expectations of RPG bliss. Though, I do have a pretty involved wish list.
When you appeal to the masses, you lose what makes you unique.

My predictions:

1) The skill set will be further condensed from TES IV into just two skills: Combat and Non-Combat.
2) The difference between a Combat skill of 0 and a skill of 100 will be one point of damage from any weapon.
3) The Non-Combat skill will not actually have any effect on anything.
4) Enemies will adapt dynamically. If you do not bother to hit them with a weapon, they won't bother to try and hit you. If you equip a Daedric weapon, they will do the same. If you switch back to an Iron weapon, well, they'll do that too.
5) Characters will now actually have real schedules: In a 24 hour period, they may move from one spot to another several feet away depending on their pre-set schedule (and then back again).
6) All characters will have up to 40% more dialog for a grand total of 37 lines of dialog.
7) There will be a new Adoring Fan called "Orange Guy". He will be completely orange.
8) Texture sizes will be increased to 256x256 for dramatically improved visuals.
9) The intensity of light blooms will be increased by over 300%.

It's going to be awesome.

It will be. Perhaps the next Bethesda game will use id tech 5, but in the Eurogamer interview I linked to earlier in the thread, Todd Howard basically confirmed it was using an enhanced version of the engine used in Fallout 3. He did say though that it was "[like] you almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game."

Put up or shut up. You said the same thing about FO3.

Yeah FO3 was terrible. I don't know what to think , it makes me so mad.

Last edited:
Yea, the only thing that the pro life and pro choice crowd can agree on is that Gamebryo should be aborted.

heh, can't forget that mudcrabs will be tougher and can scale to level 30 now. And battles against multiple opponents won't lag because there won't be any multi-opponent battles. Hard battles will consist of a single enemy that's scary tough with lots of hitpoints.

Actually, if TES V just took Mount & Blade and put magic, TES lore, and extra graphics on top then I would be squealing in excitement like a little school girl.

Last edited:
Man, could you imagine fighting armies on your own, that would be great. 500 wolves vs one.

Played Morrowind. Never Finished it. Never got to try Oblivion out. Gonna have to now. Steam have a deal on this game now?

Hopefully they can bother to make a proper leveling system and not fall back on their god awful scaling.

They also need to incorporate proper equipment drops. There is no value to loot whatsoever in TES4.

heh, can't forget that mudcrabs will be tougher and can scale to level 30 now. And battles against multiple opponents won't lag because there won't be any multi-opponent battles. Hard battles will consist of a single enemy that's scary tough with lots of hitpoints.

Actually, if TES V just took Mount & Blade and put magic, TES lore, and extra graphics on top then I would be squealing in excitement like a little school girl.

<3 Mountain Blade.

I'm kinda bummed that this is a sequel to oblivion. I spent a lot of time with it but It doesnt hold a candle to the other ES games, especially Morrowind. I'm also kind of bummed that they are sticking with gamebyro. I kinda wish they would of waited and used Id Tech 5 or something better.

I'm not too sure how excited I am for this, I was PUMPED for Oblivion and it ended up being Meh. Oh well at least I'll have The Witcher 2.

There was/is a lot of "fun" things to do with the game editor in oblivion... as well as with some of the mods.

Soul stones + enchanting cloths/armor to hurt the wearer, setting the merchants to respawn, and then selling your killer garb to them and watching them put it on and then die is funny.... then you can take everything in the store and you won't get fines put on you.

Doing other crazy enchants to give you 100% invisibility as well as other things are fun to.

Stock though.. Oblivion just takes way too long to play through..... super speed jump boots and the ability to not get hurt when falling from very high up is another useful enchant/hack.

On the other hand, Morrowind was a bit easier to mod in some respects.. especially if you wanted no encumberance.

if its on gamebyro i say fail

however if its on rage tech then the phrase "jizz in my pants" has just been redefined

If this game uses gamebryo I will NOT buy it, period. It has to be on iDTech5, it has to..

please?

Right now I'll file it under "Fallout 3 with swords" until they (hopefully) prove me wrong.

ROFL

I found Oblivion to be unplayable until it was extensively modded. I'm not some whiner, the basic leveling up/xp system etc was just broken.

I'm really not that hyped about TES V, ESPECIALLY if it's using an enhanced version of the same engine. I wish they'd just wait and release it on next gen consoles, because you know the PC version of TES V will probably look atrocious by the time it comes out, if it's a PC/X360/PS3 game. Part of the allure of the series has been the graphics, and IMO there is just no way it will look "amazing" if it's on this generation's hw. And I know they won't go to to the trouble to really push modern PCs, if the game is multiplatform with X360/PS3.

Overall, I enjoyed Oblivion. Major complaints, the combat system was a joke, yeah, yeah. I enjoyed the exploration and the unfolding storyline most. And I enjoyed it so much I purchased Shivering Isles; which I quit after a few hrs of play because the quests and storyline were so ill-conceived and confusing and down right BORING I dropped it.

My predictions:

1) The skill set will be further condensed from TES IV into just two skills: Combat and Non-Combat.
2) The difference between a Combat skill of 0 and a skill of 100 will be one point of damage from any weapon.
3) The Non-Combat skill will not actually have any effect on anything.
4) Enemies will adapt dynamically. If you do not bother to hit them with a weapon, they won't bother to try and hit you. If you equip a Daedric weapon, they will do the same. If you switch back to an Iron weapon, well, they'll do that too.
5) Characters will now actually have real schedules: In a 24 hour period, they may move from one spot to another several feet away depending on their pre-set schedule (and then back again).
6) All characters will have up to 40% more dialog for a grand total of 37 lines of dialog.
7) There will be a new Adoring Fan called "Orange Guy". He will be completely orange.
8) Texture sizes will be increased to 256x256 for dramatically improved visuals.
9) The intensity of light blooms will be increased by over 300%.

It's going to be awesome.

10) will come with built in nude patch. Because thats the first thing everyone downloads anyway. (I know I did)

For everyone that complains about the Gamebyro engine and the coding of games like Oblivion/FO3/FONV, and then throwing comparisons like iD tech 5 or other games, I would like you to consider some points.

Oblivion is an open sandbox game, but it isn't a open sandbox game like say GTA or Just Cause. Consider how much more interaction and uniqueness the NPCs have in Oblivion. For instance in GTA, all NPCs are basically generic respawns that have no or very minor interaction with each other, while the actual story NPCs are completely isolated essentially. The only game that is similar to Oblivion in this respect is the Stalker series, and is it by coincidence it is rather buggy in a similar way? In FONV for instance you can basically kill nearly every single NPC in the game, this as you can imagine takes much more complexity in the scripting involved to still keep everything coherent.

There is also the issue of modding. How many of these other games can you mod like Oblivion? For instance take iD Tech 5, which if I understand the megatexture technology used shares 1 texture map for an environment. Right now with the current gamebyro engine Oblivion uses if I wanted to mod a new hut in the game world, another modder can say put his own hut next to it, both these mods can be active at the same time. I don't see how this is possible given how iD Tech 5 works. Oblivion allows multiple mods from different sources to share the game world, this is not a common feature. It also allows mods to completely change certain elements of the game without affecting the rest.

I'd rather have the game cater to modders and be lacking out of the box honestly, this to me is what has set Oblivion apart from other games. Everyone for instance has differing opinions on certain gameplay elements in every game, the difference with Oblivion is you can mod or find a mod to change it to suite you. Don't like how a quest is setup? Changeable. Think certain items stats/effects don't suite you? Changeable. Artistically as well, if you want to run around in medieval Oblivion in fluff breaking Warhammer 40k power armor or lingerie armor you can. I cannot think of any game that is as customizable as Oblivion/FO:3/FONV has been.

I really don't like the scaling of the enemies. A level one crab should always be a lowly level one crab.

For everyone that complains about the Gamebyro engine and the coding of games like Oblivion/FO3/FONV, and then throwing comparisons like iD tech 5 or other games, I would like you to consider some points.

Oblivion is an open sandbox game, but it isn't a open sandbox game like say GTA or Just Cause. Consider how much more interaction and uniqueness the NPCs have in Oblivion. For instance in GTA, all NPCs are basically generic respawns that have no or very minor interaction with each other, while the actual story NPCs are completely isolated essentially. The only game that is similar to Oblivion in this respect is the Stalker series, and is it by coincidence it is rather buggy in a similar way? In FONV for instance you can basically kill nearly every single NPC in the game, this as you can imagine takes much more complexity in the scripting involved to still keep everything coherent.

There is also the issue of modding. How many of these other games can you mod like Oblivion? For instance take iD Tech 5, which if I understand the megatexture technology used shares 1 texture map for an environment. Right now with the current gamebyro engine Oblivion uses if I wanted to mod a new hut in the game world, another modder can say put his own hut next to it, both these mods can be active at the same time. I don't see how this is possible given how iD Tech 5 works. Oblivion allows multiple mods from different sources to share the game world, this is not a common feature. It also allows mods to completely change certain elements of the game without affecting the rest.

I'd rather have the game cater to modders and be lacking out of the box honestly, this to me is what has set Oblivion apart from other games. Everyone for instance has differing opinions on certain gameplay elements in every game, the difference with Oblivion is you can mod or find a mod to change it to suite you. Don't like how a quest is setup? Changeable. Think certain items stats/effects don't suite you? Changeable. Artistically as well, if you want to run around in medieval Oblivion in fluff breaking Warhammer 40k power armor or lingerie armor you can. I cannot think of any game that is as customizable as Oblivion/FO:3/FONV has been.

Not sure exactl how the ID tech 5 will pan out (if it's used, i'm sure they said they weren't using it for oblivion). But anyway, the mega textures are not on ingame objects like the characters and objects. So neither of those will be effected. Remember the ID pretty much invented modding, so will probably have a quite obvious route to add your own junk to it. Like ID tech 1 2 3 and 4. It will probably come with modding tools or similar. Both bestheda and ID are known for their mod friendlyness, so hopefully that is a good sign.

The megatextures, though for the whole level, might allow supplimentary textures for add-ons. It doesnt hold the entire texture (several GB) in memory at the same time, it streams off disk. So that might allow you to add new areas, with new texturing, or have sub levels within the level (like indoor parts, tunnels) that use their own textures and only add the doors to the game grid. Or if you wanted a new building add it as an ingame object ontop of what is already there.

Sword and shield combat was loads better in Oblivion, only problem is that the main character gets too powerful. I think I pissed off town guards to get arrows that stick in my shield to sell.

Oblivion was okay. I only played it vanilla, never bothered to mod it out. The only part I didn't care for at all was the Oblivion Gates. What a redundant gameplay idea, closing gate after gate. After the first play through I never activated the main quest again. I didn't care for the landscape being littered with Oblivion Gates, or having to close them. They were all so similar.

A major short coming of the game IMO was the general lack of content. Compared to Morrowind the content in Oblivion was anemic. Half empty towns, thinly populated wilderness, and not nearly enough quantity or variety in the item department.

Since Oblivion was such a commercial success I don't expect this next one to be much different as far as general game design, especially if they are using the same engine. But I hope they flesh this one out some, cram in a lot more content. The game world should feel full, not half empty with a limited selection of items, armor, and weapons to play with.

Oblivion was fun, the only part I didn't like was how progress in your characters level and stats meant basically nothing. The monsters ended up getting so difficult to kill it felt like my character was strongest in the middle of the game. I don't know about you, but I like the idea of areas being higher level, not every area in the game getting more difficult as your character increases. If I go back to an early part of the game, I should be able to kill everything with ease. The whole level adaptation thing made no sense to me really. Having said that, I still completed everything in the entire game, didn't play the expansion though.

Oblivion is an open sandbox game, but it isn't a open sandbox game like say GTA or Just Cause.

that gta engine is pretty epic, dynamic animations through euphoria and the lighting system is truley standout being able to stay dynamic on such a wide scale you should be grateful you even get 40 fps in that situation, I think making proper NPCs in that is very possible it just dosnt suit GTAs context.

but fuck they could at least add proper lighting to the gamebyro engine, a much more dynamic system and i could stomach another gamebyro for the time being

that gta engine is pretty epic, dynamic animations through euphoria and the lighting system is truley standout being able to stay dynamic on such a wide scale you should be grateful you even get 40 fps in that situation, I think making proper NPCs in that is very possible it just dosnt suit GTAs context.

but fuck they could at least add proper lighting to the gamebyro engine, a much more dynamic system and i could stomach another gamebyro for the time being

Euphoria is murder on CPUs, especially with the way GTAIV used it. Bethesda would have to be very careful on how they used it because if it tried to dynamically animate very living thing in a game world the size of Oblivion at the same time....Yikes.

Get rid of scaling, add unique items, remove fast travel(replace with mark and recall),and get rid of that damned quest compass.

This is indeed good news. Oblivioin is still one of my favorites!

Back