Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Why? Is it actually causing you physical distress like headaches or something?

Or is it a psychological "I paid thousands of dollars for this hardware and I refuse to deal with peasant frame rates" kind of thing?
I've gotten used to high refresh rate and I just can't stomach it.

I've never really given this genre a fair shake, so I think I will purchase it during this sale period if I'm not too distracted with other games.

The only souls game I've ever tried is DS3 once for a couple hours, but I never really committed. So I would basically be going into both this game and the genre blind. I'm curious to see what it's all about though.

I've never really given this genre a fair shake, so I think I will purchase it during this sale period if I'm not too distracted with other games.

The only souls game I've ever tried is DS3 once for a couple hours, but I never really committed. So I would basically be going into both this game and the genre blind. I'm curious to see what it's all about though.
Dark Souls 3 is a great game. If you still own it, no reason to not start there! and there are things which I like about it, better than Elden Ring ;)

Dark Souls 3 is a great game. If you still own it, no reason to not start there! and there are things which I like about it, better than Elden Ring ;)

I'd give DS3 another go before Elden Ring mainly because it'll be tougher to go back to it later. Elden Ring tweaks things with additional mechanics (like jumping) that can mess with you if you go back the older games that don't have them.

I like DS3 better overall than Elden Ring...ER is still a 9.5 game and only loses points in relation to other From Software games...the main issue I had with Elden Ring is there are too many reskinned/repeating bosses...way too many...and once you've seen one catacomb you've seen them all...they all have basically the same layout...the MP also wasn't as good as the previous Souls games

in a game as massive as ER everything can't be unique but by the time I got to the end (300+ hours) I was burnt out...I haven't touched the game since finishing it the first time...normally I replay all From Soft games multiple times

Last edited:
I'd give DS3 another go before Elden Ring mainly because it'll be tougher to go back to it later. Elden Ring tweaks things with additional mechanics (like jumping) that can mess with you if you go back the older games that don't have them.
While the point about the mechanics is definitely true, I think ER makes the perfect 1st Souls like. You can still actually do things like explore and gather upgrade materials if you haven’t quite figured the mechanics out.

ER is much more approachable than all the rest, if it weren’t for ER I’d have never finished a Souls game. Once I sat ER down I went to DS3, DS1 Remastered, and Demons Souls.

I have DS2 but only created a character and ran around for a bit, felt kind of weird. Also refunded Sekiro as I just didn’t really like the way it felt, but I may revisit as it seems to be a pretty big deal.

Anyway, my vote for buying Elden Ring on sale? Uh, yes, immediately. In all likelihood you’ll fall in love (after you get over the inevitable souls-hump) and want to run through the rest of the series ASAP.

DO IT!

I went from Elden Ring to DS3 and it felt identical to me aside from jumping. I don't see how anybody would have trouble adjusting from Elden Ring to DS3. You might miss torrent a bit but that's about it.

I started a new run in preparation for the DLC (I had previously been playing with mods and ended up losing all of my previous saves). I had just over 250 hours total up to this point and had never really done multiplayer except for the Varus PVP quests. I figured I'd give it a try on the new run and it has been a blast. Running around with other players, rushing through Stormvale, getting invaded, and crushing bosses only to get cocky and die to a group of trash mobs or a roll off a cliff has been a whole new layer of fun.

Do maidenless runs still get stopped at the capital or did they make a way to complete it now? I haven't played since release so I'm out of touch with all the patches since then.

Question about coop:

Say I want to help someone fight the tree spirit in Stormveil Castle. Where should I put my summon sign? At the beginning of the dungeon? At the nearest grace? Right in front of the boss arena?

So apparently the effigy stick sends your summon sign to the multiplayer sticks; "near" being the same area and "far" being any multiplayer sticks you've activated. The finger just places your sign to be summoned wherever you are. I couldn't find any games using the finger last night but played a bunch of Liurnia and Caria Manor using the effigy stick.

Currently on sale in the Namco sale along with Tekken 7 and Little Nightmares II. Hmmm, do I buy this game for this cold season? Should I put myself through this? ...

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245620/ELDEN_RING/

Picked this up during that sale. Went into the game mostly blind. Played through DS1,2,3, BB and Sekiro previously, but I never even watched a review about ER or any gameplay besides the official trailers years ago. Haven't played any new games in the last couple years until Starfield.

At first was pretty disappointed with ER. Just seemed like they made DS4, nothing really innovative. Glad to say this first impression was misbegotten, and ended up being one of the greatest games I've ever played. Finished it last night. Man what a masterpiece! Definitely picking up the DLC on release day.

latest rumors have Shadow of the Erdtree launching in February 2024 with a secret 2nd expansion launching in 2025...

Thrustmaster is about to release a new limited-edition controller based on the popular game by From Software as part of a collaboration with Bandai Namco...what makes this document extremely interesting is the mention of the controller launching together with the DLC expansion, whose launch will coincide with the base game's anniversary, and the possibility of another DLC expansion in 2025...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak.../a_page_for_elden_ring_x_thrustmaster_collab/

Reactions: w35t
like this
That's an odd collaboration. Thrustmaster usually makes sim racing or sim flying style peripherals. 💁‍♂️

That's an odd collaboration. Thrustmaster usually makes sim racing or sim flying style peripherals. 💁‍♂️
This is some kind of bizarre streamer collaboration where people play the game with a Guitar Hero guitar or Dance Dance Revolution pad.

I’m probably going pick up that controller, it looks awesome and the damn r1 button on my elite series 2 just will not stay working. Drives me nuts. It’s really unfortunate too as I use one of the buttons on the rear to sprint/dodge, which allows for controlling the camera while doing so, such a big advantage over other Xbox controllers and dual sense.

I'm hoping for a trailer/release date for the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC at the Taipei Game Show in early February...the 2-year anniversary is coming in February...

I'm hoping for a trailer/release date for the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC at the Taipei Game Show in early February...the 2-year anniversary is coming in February...
I’m hoping we don’t get a release date or a trailer, and that they just drop it on us in Feb. Isn’t that From’s style anyway?

I’m hoping we don’t get a release date or a trailer, and that they just drop it on us in Feb. Isn’t that From’s style anyway?
I don't think they would do that, because the most recent DLCs they released were for Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City. Both DLCs had trailers months before the actual release.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say we can probably expect the new expansion to come out in the fall of 2024. I hope we see a trailer soon, then we will might get a spring or summer release date.

Bandai Namco North America YouTube channel's Elden Ring playlist got updated today...the last update before this was 10 months ago...the Elden ring playlist was also updated the day before the Summer Game Fest gameplay trailer

all signs are pointing to tomorrow being the official reveal trailer...

Hopefully the DLC drops soon rather than competing with DD2 because I have a feeling I'll be playing DD2+Tekken 8 most of the year. As much as I like Elden Ring, I'm almost completely burned out of it which sucks, I have 815 hours in it. I wish they would make the PvP better in the game, then I'd be more into it.

if Shadow of the Erdtree comes out in Feb or March I might put off my GPU upgrade as my 3080 should be able to handle the DLC fine...I'll most likely replay the base game and then the expansion/DLC will give me another massive time sink so I might be able to hold off for the Nvidia 50 series Blackwell cards

I’m excited that we’re getting close, day one no matter what, but it does feel a bit late at this point. I’d imagine only very few fans haven’t beaten it to death by now. The DLC needs to seriously impress, but I’m confident it will.

I’m excited that we’re getting close, day one no matter what, but it does feel a bit late at this point. I’d imagine only very few fans haven’t beaten it to death by now. The DLC needs to seriously impress, but I’m confident it will.
I know you're absolutely correct that for lost people it may be a bit too late... But I don't get why that's a thing? If Fromsoft released this as a standalone title, with some minor graphics bumps and tweaks and called it Elden Ring 2 or something else to indicate it wasn't a DLC, but limit not to JUST the DLC content, I'm sure it would sell like crazy.

But release it as a DLC which adds the same amount of content to an already awesome game and suddenly people react with 'yawn, too late'

My character is still in Leyndell took about 20 tries kept dying only to realize I could jump roof top to roof top but the gargoyles got me just so gave up. I got a squishy mage who dies lots but I have some of the best spells in the game.

Ewww...Elden Ring Mobile F2P w/ Microtransactions by Tencent. [H]ard Pass.
Ya that sounds like all kinds of terrible, but if that kind of cash grab helps them keep that garbage out of Elden Ring 2 I am fine with it.

On another note I never finished this originally but I picked it up again this week, I think I’m about 2/3 through so hopefully I can finish it before the DLC comes out.

received_1124857075125196.jpeg

Nearly got me

Ya that sounds like all kinds of terrible, but if that kind of cash grab helps them keep that garbage out of Elden Ring 2 I am fine with it.

On another note I never finished this originally but I picked it up again this week, I think I’m about 2/3 through so hopefully I can finish it before the DLC comes out.
I wish that guaranteed they won't be in future titles. Honestly it just depends on how greedy they want to be, since you know people can't help themselves.

Makes sense I suppose. Elden Ring sold 20 million in its first month or two. 2 years later, likely close to 30 million.

Elden Ring is a strong name right now and it looks like they are figuring new ways to extract money from all those people, and others potentially attracted to the name.

Back