EK Back to their old Tricks Again..

I just refuse to support that ass after the lying, bullying and obfuscation in the RRR episode.

Give him your money if you like, he isn't getting any of mine.

Agreed. Ever since that debacle that happened over at RRR and the fact the Sidewinder had to issue a statement regarding their GPU waterblocks, I have never bought anything from them since the EK Supremes.

Each block is tested by quality control via the sticker placed on each product. What would you say happened to cause this one to get through?

I think he was making a joke, as in they made the block right before it was time to leave for the weekend? (5pm a Friday and all?)..Sometimes It is hard to tell though...When I saw that nice lilttle QC sticker on there though, I gotta say it made me a bit pissed off because what wasn't super clear to me the first time (the gouges in the GPu mating area due to the bag/sticker) was quite clear when I removed it and got the photos to you guys.

Agreed. Ever since that debacle that happened over at RRR and the fact the Sidewinder had to issue a statement regarding their GPU waterblocks, I have never bought anything from them since the EK Supremes.

That is why I love Gary (and when he was open, Petra:()...I have done a lot of business with both of them, and talked to Gary many times on the phone...Like I said, I was aware of the whole nickel plated issue as far as EK goes, but since that was back in 2010~2011 and they have managed to stay in business, I assumed things had turned around..

I know that my one block doesn't mean everything has gone back to shit, and perhaps my thread title was a bit misleading, but I was angry when I opened it up to and found that, to say the least. I called FrozenCPU late today (about 5 minutes before they close EST) since I spent the entire day in the ER with my Dad whom I take care of. He suffers from chronic kidney stones, and is now up to ~81 for the YEAR:(:(..If we could turn just 1/4 of them into Gold, CC would be buying everyone a 290 or 780 for Christmas!

I appreciate everyone's feedback, and Vega, please report back when your 780TI blocks arrive..I know you spend WAY more on this hobby then most of us, and I would rather this thread cause you to take a second look at everything then for you to report back that something happened to those beautiful systems you build!

Yeah, Gary rocks, I was using him before this shit went down but he really proved himself in that episode and Sidewinder is now my go-to source. I know wiping EK's ass cost him money but he did the right thing and I believe in rewarding good actors.

all my old copper DD blocks look the same way its not a big deal unless you can see pits that's what the Nickel plating covers up

as I have a milling machine out in the shed mill marks are normal and you can't stone grind copper well it clogs the stone grinding wheels

what they should do is only Nickel plate the outside or mill the inside after they plate them

It baffles me why you would even make this thread BEFORE contacting FrozenCPU and/or EK. I can already tell the type of customer you are.

At first I thought you were whining for no reason OP.

Then you posted the high-res shots of the die contact area.

I'm appalled. I've personally made better looking blocks with hand tools.

Earlier this year had a similar problem with an XSPC block and performance pcs.

Well there's your problem. I'm a banned lifetime customer from PPCs because they told me they shipped me a box with a whole bunch of shit I didn't order. They did not. I received my order in the box, but not the eVGA motherboard (680i chipset days) and quad core CPU they said they accidentally sent me. Told me I was a liar. Contacted my school dean (this was shipped to my dorm awhile back before I graduated) AND the police saying I stole from them. A funny situation all around.

Seriously, they're lifetime banned sellers on my list. ;)

Well there's your problem. I'm a banned lifetime customer from PPCs because they told me they shipped me a box with a whole bunch of shit I didn't order. They did not. I received my order in the box, but not the eVGA motherboard (680i chipset days) and quad core CPU they said they accidentally sent me. Told me I was a liar. Contacted my school dean (this was shipped to my dorm awhile back before I graduated) AND the police saying I stole from them. A funny situation all around.

Seriously, they're lifetime banned sellers on my list. ;)

Hank the owner of Performance PCS banned me as well and called me a liar as well. Hank also told me that I was banned from the PC water cooling community and that I would not be able to buy water cooling gear from anyone. He seems to think he is the God Father of the PC water cooling world. Hank needs to change his ways if he wants to keep good customers.

I think the only places I've ever ordered pc parts from are Newegg, Frozenzcpu, Koolance and Amazon. The funny thing was, if any other block than EK had been available at the time I ordered my 290 blocks I'd have gone with them. This is the first time I've ever ordered EK, because of the fiascos and their prices are usually too damn high.

It baffles me why you would even make this thread BEFORE contacting FrozenCPU and/or EK. I can already tell the type of customer you are.

It's quite clear that you aren't familiar (read: been burned) by EK in the past:rolleyes::rolleyes:...I made this THREAD TO PROTECT MYSELF since EK places a nice little sticker on the outside of the box that prohibits you from inspecting anything without tearing it..It reads that if you open it, the item is non returnable..Now if you happily tore threw that sticker while eager to get your fancy new GPU block opened only to find what I did, what would you do? If you contacted EK directly, which is HQ'd outside of the US, and they informed you that you tore threw the the sticker and they warned you it was non returnable, you would be SOL as far as dealing with them directly..

My second reason for making this thread was to see if I was initially overreacting (before I opened the plastic bag and FELT how deep the markings are in the GPU DIE area)...After opening it and posting the Hi-Res shots, it is clear that I am FAR from the only one here that thinks I am overreacting..In fact I encourage you to take 30 seconds to go back and compare the Hi-Res shots of my block and the shot that VeeDubFreak was kind enough to post..

Finally, I will leave this right here:

The funny thing was, if any other block than EK had been available at the time I ordered my 290 blocks I'd have gone with them. This is the first time I've ever ordered EK, because of the fiascos and their prices are usually too damn high.

To Update everyone else that is following the thread: I have contacted FrozenCPU again, and this time was able to get in touch with someone directly (Geoff)..I explained the situation, that I had called last Friday but hadn't gotten a return call, and he was very apologeic. He assured me that EK would make things right. He requested the pictures, which I have emailed along with a link to this thread. He is going to contact their rep today and told me he would have an answer for me Friday as to what EK plans to do about the situation..

I asked him if I could just order the Koolance block (since they are in stock) and send the EK block back, but he said that EK may only decide to do a replacement, not a "refund"..I personally think that since I am within the 14 day return window that FrozenCPU offers that I should be allowed to do this, but I understand they have policies and he wants to speak with EK first. I just want to have the system, which is in pieces, up and running..

If EK makes this right, I think it will go a long way toward showing they actually do care about their customer base and the Nickel plating disaster is well and truly behind them...

If an EK rep reads this, the ball is in your court. Please fix this, and continue to offer the community a viable product we know you will stand behind. I will be the first convert, I promise..I took a chance on ordering your product, and an aware that mistakes can happen. Please just make sure this was just that, a mistake.

I will update everyone Friday when I hear back from Geoff..I have limited access to the forums outside of my phone/tablet since they suck to type on, so everyone have a happy Holiday.

I wanted to post an update to this thread yesterday, but wasn't feeling well so it is a day late. I spoke with Geoff @ FrozenCPU via email, and he assured me that EK wasn't happy that block made it out of the factory. EK is sending me a "perfect" block that has been inspected before leaving the factory...

It should arrive @ FrozenCPU sometime next week, and then to me..I really wish they would have just overnighted me the block, but I am happy they are taking care of things. Waiting this long to get to play with the 290 under water is killing me. I will update the thread a final time once I get the block in my hands.

I wanted to post an update to this thread yesterday, but wasn't feeling well so it is a day late. I spoke with Geoff @ FrozenCPU via email, and he assured me that EK wasn't happy that block made it out of the factory. EK is sending me a "perfect" block that has been inspected before leaving the factory...

It should arrive @ FrozenCPU sometime next week, and then to me..I really wish they would have just overnighted me the block, but I am happy they are taking care of things. Waiting this long to get to play with the 290 under water is killing me. I will update the thread a final time once I get the block in my hands.

Chance are you'll get a cherry picked block, but I do wonder if that one made its way out how many others did.

Chance are you'll get a cherry picked block, but I do wonder if that one made its way out how many others did.

While I could see the appeal (on EK's end) of doing this, I don't think that will be the case..When I spoke to Geoff last Wednesday, the copper blocks were OOS but he told me they are expecting a shipment to arrive this coming week..

I have a feeling that it will be FrozenCPU that will be inspecting a block out of that shipment and then sending it to me. I don't have a problem if that turns out to be the case, and I may very well be wrong. I just want a functioning GPU block so I can play with my $400 GPU..:(

After having the new EK electroplating blocks fail on me for a second time (two 6970 blocks), I decided to use another manufacturer and this time I got a Aquacomputer block and I must say the finish is superb. I like that the stand offs are already well attached to the blocks and they dont have any of that stupid orientation issues, like having plugs only on one side of the block. Overall took me exactly 10 minutes to change out the block for my 770 GTX as compared to around half an hour for the EK ones. The issue with the EK one was as follows:

1. You have to cut out thermal pads yourself, which you have to do with AC as well, but its only one big piece and one small piece in this case. Not required to cut for the memory.

2. The standoffs were not installed on the older EN EK blocks (6970) and I found them breaking very easily. And a few of them broke with only the top of the standoff coming off, which meant the screwed in part was still stuck on the block, which in turn meant that I had to take a drill to the blocks to get them out

3. The newer blocks (GTX+) had ports only on one side. I dont know if you get the 4 way port with the card or not, its a bit unclear to me

4. Machining seems to be a bit off

5. Finally the EN blocks had issues as well.

I used to use only EK blocks for my GPU's and CPU earlier as they were good value for money, but over the last year I have kind of lost faith in them.

Imagine the stand off breaking off on one side of the block while installed and you dont know about it. It can cause more stress on the rest of them and also provide less than optimal contact on the affected area. and this is exactly what happened to me. The VRM ara was suddenly a whole lot more hot then the GPU area, like a 20 plus degree difference.

On EK's part they immediately sent me a replacement of the block after the nickle issue and hats off to them for the immediate RMA, without me sending in my old block (this was an EN block BTW). They also sent me a bottle of their coolant to use along with the block. Unfortunately, the new block (again EN) developed similar nickle plating issues.

That block looks horrendous in the closeup pictures.

Even if OP gets a brand new perfect block from EK, I think this should be a lesson to others that they will have to go through the same nonsense he did for his block to be the way it is supposed to be, rather than going with another manufacturer.

Also, is PPC's really that horrible? They're often slightly cheaper than FrozenCPU, and I've never really had any issues with either vendor thus far...

I guess if I were accused of stealing and "banned" I'd tell them to go F@$K themselves though :D

Seriously? Not everyone has time/patience to deal with returns. In the real world you are held accountable for your mistakes. If EK is half assing their QA process, [H] needs to know.

Hats off to Frozen Cpu and Geophry and EK for stepping up like men and taking care of your problem.

PerformancePCS and XPCS acted like a bunch of scumbag of the earth over my problemed XPSC HD7970 New Edition blocks.

I feel confident that you will be taken care off.

I don't know how it works in the States, but in the EU we are entitled to return any product, for any reason, within a week (or two in some cases) for a full refund that we buy online.

Thats also a big part of the reason that prices in the EU are so much higher for components.

Its a new block I'm sure that frozencpu will accept a return. Its not like its been used.

This thread is ridiculous... Ide be willing to bet money that if you lapped the surface that your temperatures would barely change at all (if any). This thread sounds like its full of a bunch of machinists and experts on plating (sarcasm). I did metal fabrication and worked closely with a machine shop across the street on quite a few things.

First, Im sure EK probably outsources the plating on their blocks. They got fucked by whoever did it to them - you can whine all you want but seems to me they are part of a niche market and not some massive corporation thats out to get you with inferior products. If I personally was effected by the peeling issue people were having then I wouldve taken the block somewhere to have it recoated. In Houston I could get something that small plated with a phenomenal flawless coating for like $30-40.

Second, I love how everyone is calling them crap and garbage because of a few machine marks. Ive seen dozens upon dozens of concave and convex surfaces on heatsinks and waterblocks over the years with "mirror" finishes and nobody seems to complain about that. BS machine marks > concave/convex IMO. If you had an extremely deep gouge then I could understand the complaining... but everything you pointed out can be remedied with less then 10 minutes of lapping. Pictures make it look worse then it is.

And the dark spots you pointed out look to me like someone touched the copper with their bare hands.

In closing: Those marks should effect everything so little that it shouldnt matter. It would cost you more time and effort to ship it back then it would be to buy one piece of sandpaper and lap it.

This thread is ridiculous... Ide be willing to bet money that if you lapped the surface that your temperatures would barely change at all (if any). This thread sounds like its full of a bunch of machinists and experts on plating (sarcasm). I did metal fabrication and worked closely with a machine shop across the street on quite a few things.

In closing: Those marks should effect everything so little that it shouldnt matter. It would cost you more time and effort to ship it back then it would be to buy one piece of sandpaper and lap it.

It certainly sounds like you are one of "bunch of machinists and experts" you are making fun of:rolleyes:..*IF* you took the time to read the thread you will see that I took the block to get TWO different Opinions on if it could fixed..I was told right away by both shops that it was impossible to lap out..

The tolerances were way off so much that the only way to fix it was to have a factory that can do Copper Flashing add additional copper material to the GPU die area and then have it machined again. Even if there was such a facility in my area, I was told the cost would be 3~4X what I paid for the block, and chances are the facility wouldn't want to take on such a tiny job cleaning up someone's mess.

I *JUST* got my replacement block in the mail today from Frozen CPU. It has a sticky note taped to the outside that said for Geoff (the guy from FrozenCPU)-Josh Overbaugh (me)...I opened it to find this(note I left it in the EK bag with their seal intact since I have no plans on using this):

AFOSidJ.jpg

PXyGUTD.jpg

evMGJ79.jpg

Please Make a note of the Two Half Circles that are supposed to be where the GPU DIE contacts..One side is polished (like VeedubFreak's block linked earlier), while the other side is is just marred up and you can't even see the other "half of the circle:

SLqsZyd.jpg

Og7CgMk.jpg

At this point I really want to tear my hair out..I have nearly a month of time tied up in this, and even if the marks are "superficial" as a certain poster above claims, I am NOT WILLING TO RISK PUTTING IT ON MY NOW $500 GPU WITH LIQUID METAL TIM.

WHA are you thoughts guys?

Its what ever copper block that I've ever owned looks like. Yeah, it could stand to be polished more but there is a reason that its cheaper than an aquacomputer block. My GTX680 aquacomputer blocks still have mill marks.

I'm not sure what the risk is.

As part of my job I got things coated/plated and machined on the regular =p.

If its not deep enough to catch your finger nail then that's all that matters. Copper is soft. I could take a mirror finished plate of copper and make it look pretty bad without actually scratching or gouging the surface.

As part of my job I got things coated/plated and machined on the regular =p.

If its not deep enough to catch your finger nail then that's all that matters. Copper is soft. I could take a mirror finished plate of copper and make it look pretty bad without actually scratching or gouging the surface.

Well the first block I COULD catch my finger nail on the ridges, that was the entire point. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you didn't have to come in and accuse me and everyone else of being idiots...I did my homework before I first made the post..

AS to the the second one, I will admit that maybe I was just a little too emotional because I expected to get a cherry picked block. I guess I should have not set my expectations so high. I have had some time to think about it and unless FrozenCPU is willing to give me a refund (they were not willing to refund me the first one despite being within the return period until they talked to EK first to see "what they wanted to do") then I am going to have to either sell the block or keep it, clearly. I have just never went through this kind of hassle with both nickel and plane Jane copper blocks like this one. I guess it's just a lesson learned.

Well the first block I COULD catch my finger nail on the ridges, that was the entire point. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you didn't have to come in and accuse me and everyone else of being idiots...I did my homework before I first made the post..

AS to the the second one, I will admit that maybe I was just a little too emotional because I expected to get a cherry picked block. I guess I should have not set my expectations so high. I have had some time to think about it and unless FrozenCPU is willing to give me a refund (they were not willing to refund me the first one despite being within the return period until they talked to EK first to see "what they wanted to do") then I am going to have to either sell the block or keep it, clearly. I have just never went through this kind of hassle with both nickel and plane Jane copper blocks like this one. I guess it's just a lesson learned.

send the block back and charge it back or exchange it for a Aqua Computer.

Thats also a big part of the reason that prices in the EU are so much higher for components.

Its a new block I'm sure that frozencpu will accept a return. Its not like its been used.

No, the primary reason for that is the VAT rate (tax) which varies from 19 to 23% generally on virtually everything.

No, the primary reason for that is the VAT rate (tax) which varies from 19 to 23% generally on virtually everything.

Prices are much higher before VAT as well. When its more expensive to do business the cost has to get passed onto the customer.

Prices are much higher before VAT as well. When its more expensive to do business the cost has to get passed onto the customer.

This is not true. Again, the primary reason for the price difference is the VAT rate. before VAT, there is possibly a minor price difference due to cost of doing business. But those damn Germans are competitive man. I'm telling you.

One more time: the primary price difference is in the VAT rate.

The gpu contact area on that block is nowhere near flat, you can clearly see the light reflecting off it at different tangents. Have you got a dial guage on a magnetic mount? If so clamp it down to a steel plate on a table, put the block on a glass plate on top of a sheet of cotton cloth so it slides easily and use the dial guage to check the height variance on the GPU contact area.

That shit would be impossible to lap properly given the small area and the unknown difference in height in relation to the other contact areas on the block.

Send it back, advise them that you are issuing a charge back on your card, then go buy something from someone that has some idea what quality control is.

Just my .02 being a trade qualified motor mechanic.

The gpu contact area on that block is nowhere near flat, you can clearly see the light reflecting off it at different tangents. Have you got a dial guage on a magnetic mount? If so clamp it down to a steel plate on a table, put the block on a glass plate on top of a sheet of cotton cloth so it slides easily and use the dial guage to check the height variance on the GPU contact area.

That shit would be impossible to lap properly given the small area and the unknown difference in height in relation to the other contact areas on the block.

Send it back, advise them that you are issuing a charge back on your card, then go buy something from someone that has some idea what quality control is.

Just my .02 being a trade qualified motor mechanic.

That is exactly what I have done..I ordered the Koolance block from PerformancePCs (they were the only ones who had it in stock other then FrozenCPU)...

Now you may wonder why I ordered the block from another vendor..Well, FrozenCPU has gone Radio Silent on me when I called and left a message saying that I was not happy with the replacement block as well and wanted an RMA issued...I have not gotten a return call, and emails have gone unanswered..

I am not about to sent the blocks back without an RMA number via email to Cover Myself since they can refuse the package (and state they will without a vaild RMA number) and I am out the ~$30 it is going to cost me to send these back to NY..

If anyone @ FrozenCPU happens to still monitor this thread, I would appreciate being contacted about this..You have my information, so I am not going to repost it..I have NOT broken the seal on the second block you sent me (even though it is unsellable IMO)...Please issue an RMA and a refund so I can close the dispute with my CC company.

You guys are crazy if you think a finish like that is superficial. The freaking stock heatsink don't look like that. Not to mention you are sandwiching acrylic against a surface like that in hopes that it doesn't spill water onto your pc internals when it is under high heat / pressure.

I can't tell how bad his is because of the photos, but mine wasn't mirror finished. You're incorrect in saying that is necessary. Many coolers (including the Noctua NH-D14) blocks have features on the surface of the cooler intentionally. Theoretically, it probably would HELP with thermal transfer assuming you're using TIM.

Both of mine are cooling perfectly, btw. My highest temp with a woefully inadequate water loop (I'm planning an upgrade) for CFX R9 290 overclocked is 57 deg C. Not bad.

The stains on the OPs cards, on the other hand, would bother me more. edit: I can't tell from the photos, but some have said there are errors in the depth of the machining too - yeah, THAT would be an issue.

Not saying he's wrong to request a refund, but there's nothing wrong with minor surface finish machining marks.

They do have a phone you can call, you realize this right? Stop pouting about it and call them, or just do a chargeback and send the block back. I still think you're making too big a deal about it. Both of my blocks cool just fine and had the same machining marks.

They do have a phone you can call, you realize this right? Stop pouting about it and call them, or just do a chargeback and send the block back. I still think you're making too big a deal about it. Both of my blocks cool just fine and had the same machining marks.

He said he called if I'm correct:
"Well, FrozenCPU has gone Radio Silent on me when I called and left a message saying that I was not happy with the replacement block as well and wanted an RMA issued...I have not gotten a return call, and emails have gone unanswered"

I can't stand PPCS. I hope you get a great block from PPCS that you can live with because I have had great customer service from FCPU and terrible service from PPCS.

I would send them a few more emails and call them. ASk to speak to Geophery.

I hope that you don't think that performancepc's waterblock return policy is much different.

Back