Eizo 24" LCD FlexScan S2433WFS for gaming?

Ericone

n00b
What do you think about this monitor Eizo FlexScan S2433WFS? Granted it will have very good black depth and contrast, but will it work for gaming? (ie. without ghosting/smearing/trailing). I´ve tried the Eizo Foris FS2331 before, and while it had superb image quality it had some smearing and trailing which was too much for me. It was a C-PVA panel, while this is a S-PVA. Will that make a big difference in terms of quality in motion?

24"

S-PVA

Widescreen - 16:10

Res 1920 x 1200

Pixel pitch 0.27 mm

360 cd/m2

Contrast ratio 1000:1

16,7 million colors

Response time

16 ms (rising+falling); 6 ms (mellanton) (swedish, not sure how to translate this)

I also saw that this screen is supposed to have a refresh rate of 75 hz (!)

I wonder if it is marketed for gamers? Specs seem very nice overall. I can´t make up my mind wether i should get this or the Samsung S27A850D. Will be playing lots of dark games like Deus Ex and Doom 3.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-eizo-s2433wh-bk.html

It can't do 75hz at 1920x1200. This is a work and all rounder monitor for casual, technically inclined rich people

It will be better for dark games than the Samsung and will probably have perfect screen uniformity. Motion performance will be slightly better on the Samsung but the contrast is <900:1 on the Samsung (vs >1000:1 on the glow free Eizo) if you get a good unit and they still have PLS glow.

Thanks NCX

I´m now leaning towards the Eizo as I value screen uniformity (especially for solid dark screens) over size and real estate. The only thing I´m a bit concerned about is input lag. I haven´t heard anything negative about the Eizo in that regard but there are hardly any reviews where it has been tested for gaming purposes. How are S-PVA panels like the Eizo in general when it comes to input lag?

I cancelled the order on the S850D because of the high input lag, as it seemed to have it on the same level as the Dell U2711. I´m just minutes away from ordering the eizo now and trying it out. It seems to have so many qualities and if I never notice the input lag, I will keep it.

Last edited:
I see that it retails for 1300$, you could buy a much better 59" plasma TV from Samsung which has proper PC support, no input lag, no motion blur/sample n hold and much deeper blacks like the D550. Samsungs highest end model, the PN51D8000 can sell for as low as 1400$ which is even better.

Just letting you guys know, you will be paying a massive premium for the small Eizo when you could get a TV with proper PC suppourt and better image quality

I see that it retails for 1300$, you could buy a much better 59" plasma TV from Samsung which has proper PC support, no input lag, no motion blur/sample n hold and much deeper blacks like the D550. Samsungs highest end model, the PN51D8000 can sell for as low as 1400$ which is even better.

Just letting you guys know, you will be paying a massive premium for the small Eizo when you could get a TV with proper PC suppourt and better image quality

Thanks again, I will be checking Plasma TV:s out as I´m really, really picky about black levels, screen uniformity and motion. Also, a new large screen TV wouldn´t hurt me :)

The only concerns I have are:

1) Pixel pitch. 1080p on a 50" + inch monitor - will it be pixelated and blurry? I´ve tried on my LG LCD 37", and it didn´t look too good. However, with that monitor I was forced to sit pretty close to see game UI:s due to the relatively small size of the unit.

2) Image retention/burn in. I know this was a pretty big thing when plasmas first arrived, but have they improved in this area? For instance, could I play games with static, bright UI:s on a Samsung D550 without the risk of burn ins?

Burn In is not an issue any more unless you will be leaving static images on for hours/days. You can get image retention after many hours of play but it goes away when you switch material or use the tv's ani-burn in features

4-5" is a good distance for a 50", it will feel massive, fill your field of view and you should not be able to see the pixels.

I sit 3.5ft from my 46" and I can't see the pixels. The PN51D550 sells for around 900$.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/

These guys have the best reviews and test PC suppourt and have a review of the D550.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps51d550-201109221412.htm

If you decide on a differet model with PC suppourt just double check on the AVS forums to make sure the North American models (which are usually the same, they just have slightly different numbers) work well

Last edited:
I think I will go down the plasma route :)

What are the specs / attributes I should be looking for in a good plasma for gaming?

My goal is lowest possible input lag, great motion and great black levels.

How would the SAMSUNG PS-51D550 fare in the light of these goals?

It´s a 51" with the resolution of 1920 x 1080, Picture format 16:9, Color depht 18 bit (is this low? doesn´t PC monitors usually have 32 bit or am i comparing apples to oranges?)

It also has 3D HyperReal Engine and Wide Color Enhancer Plus - will this increase input lag?

And it has 600 Hz

As Ericone is from Sweden the FlexScan S2433WFS retails for 900 $ at the moment and will probably drop further by summer/autumn. The Eizo have a dot pitch of 0,27 mm , compared to the PS-51D550 with a dot pitch of 0.58 mm. Whether or not the larger pixels will bother you is hard for me to tell , personally Im not too enthusiastic about it.

Also take into account that the PS-51D550 lowest price is 1056 dollars in Sweden - 2 years no pick up service. The FlexScan S2433WFS warranty is 5 years , with pick up service.

Worth considering is that new VA panels went in production by the end of 2011 with targeted release sometime later this year. Here are som specs on the new panels :

M240HW02 V6 - 24" AMVA panel, 5000:1 static contrast ratio, W-LED
M270HW02 V1 - 27" AMVA panel, 5000:1 static contrast ratio, W-LED
M270HW02 V3 - 27" ultra-thin AMVA panel, W-LED

M240HW02 V5 - 24" AMVA panel with 120Hz support, CCFL
M270HW02 V2 - 27" AMVA panel with 120Hz support, W-LED

There is also a bunch of new LG IPS panels in production with targeted release 3q-4q of this year , check link for complete data sheet.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/25.htm#new_lgdisplay_panels

Good luck Ericone !

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, especially Falconetti and NCX. I had some time to think and have come up with a decision.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Samsung PS-51D550 Plasma. I´m only still slightly worried about the dot pitch, but I will be positioned far away from the screen so hopefully it won´t be a problem.

To be honest, I´d rather deal with the pixel dot pitch than IPS glow or smearing/ghosting, especially since my only options for acceptable (read= glossy/semi glossy) 27" are more expensive than the 51" plasma (Apple cinema display, which will cost me almost 900 euros compared to less than 700 euros for the plasma) or have defects and medicore contrast (Samsung 850D).

I should have listened to NCX from the start and not even try a AG-coated 27 like I did :) The only positive thing about AG is that at least I wouldn´t have to worry about kids with marmelade on their fingers or something similiar playing with the surface of the screen - it was already like that out of the box.

I´d buy a 27" 1440p display without AG-coating in a hardbeat if it wasn´t either excessively expensive (and still prone to dust within the display or dead pixels/blb) or suffered from poor quality control.

This plasma will also serve as a great addition for movies (I only have a 37" LCD TV with abysmal black levels here, so I´m psyched).

Hopefully this baby arrives tonight and if anyone is interested I can put a up a little mini review from the perspective of an old-school gamer. The first Deus Ex being my all time favorite game, I have high demands on black level and contrast ratio that most modern TN and IPS can´t meet. I wish high quality/mint CRT:s were still selling, but I´ve heard that plasmas are the next best thing for those longing back to those days :)

Last edited:
Got the screen a few hours back.

It´s everything I hoped it to be, but I´m a bit worried with the image retention. I hope it will go away (I use Samsungs protection which moves the pixels). Played some Deus Ex, just for a few minutes, and next thing I see is that the menus seems "burned in" and can be soon on solid dark backgrounds. I really hope it will go away now that I disable the monitor for a little break.

Got the screen a few hours back.

It´s everything I hoped it to be, but I´m a bit worried with the image retention. I hope it will go away (I use Samsungs protection which moves the pixels). Played some Deus Ex, just for a few minutes, and next thing I see is that the menus seems "burned in" and can be soon on solid dark backgrounds. I really hope it will go away now that I disable the monitor for a little break.

Its probably IR , image retention. Check the link provided below for further information !

http://samsungplasmatvfaq.com/index.php/Break-in,_burn-in,_and_image_retention

Yup :)

Thanks for the link. I read all of the tips and I´m streaming some beatiful landscape videos from discovery HD as I browse these forums :)

Anyway, I am very pleased with this plasma display, it´s a keeper for sure. I tried playing some games on it, and it felt fluent like a CRT. At the moment I´m too paranoid to play any extended gaming but after the burn in period I will definitely do it a lot.

Anyway. This is a cheap, entry level plasma but it´s great value, and that´s coming from someone who frequently hangs out with his dad and watches movies on his high end Panasonic plasma.

Back