Either a new Video card or new monitor, can't do both

Riddleofsteel

[H]ard|Gawd
I would really like to play with max settings in most games with higher res than 16x12. I have a 4870 and a 22" CRT. The crt is getting a softer image, and I was lining up a 24" LCD to pick up. However I don't think I can play at max res on a 24" lcd with just a 4870.

So, I was probably going to get the new graphics card first and wait on the monitor. What do you think, would I be okay in most games with a 24" lcd and a 4870? Thanks, this has been bugging me.

The monitor has a higher impact on perceived quality than a video card. Your games will look significantly better with a crisp image versus maxed out frames on a washed out screen.

2nd a new screen, depending on your budget look into a 37" westy 1080p hdtv or something.. most satisfying upgrade I ever made was a 42" 1080p screen as my computer monitor.

So, I was probably going to get the new graphics card first and wait on the monitor. What do you think, would I be okay in most games with a 24" lcd and a 4870? Thanks, this has been bugging me.

The 4870 maxes everything (except Crysis, of course) on my sig rig, with a 24" LCD. I'm currently playing AOC, Bioshock and The Witcher, all at max settings. If you're into benchmarks, my 3DMark06 score is 15,633 and 3DMark Vantage score is P9506.

Without know your system specs it's hard to say, but I would lean toward the monitor. The 4870 is a fine card. Your other option would be at GTX 280, but that might be overkill for the extra cost.

24" LCD is by far the best option, the 4870 is an awesome card so you dont need to touch that

You're already at 1600x1200 res so going to 1920x1200 wouldn't be that big of a hit.
4870 should do fine.

2nd a new screen, depending on your budget look into a 37" westy 1080p hdtv or something.. most satisfying upgrade I ever made was a 42" 1080p screen as my computer monitor.

Are you just trying to gloat?

Somehow I don't think he's in the market for a 42" LCD when his choice is EITHER a new video card OR a LCD display (up from a CRT).

You have one of the best videocards you can update.. why bother? Go with the monitor.
Its like saying.. I have a 2009 Ferrari and live in a double wide.. should I get a new car or buy a new house?

Are you just trying to gloat?

Somehow I don't think he's in the market for a 42" LCD when his choice is EITHER a new video card OR a LCD display (up from a CRT).

No, alot of people use hdtv's on their pc, I mention it because I will can promise you it is by far the most rewarding upgrade you will ever do for your pc, so its an idea. You can purchase used screend, does not have to be a new 700-1000 dollar one.

Since something must be going wrong with your monitor (softer images), go for the monitor.

monitor. I would take a good one over a better video card anytime.

Without a good visual experiance , it kinda takes the use/purpose out of owning a higher-end v/card . +1 for monitor .

Having gone from a 21" CRT to a 20" LCD and now a 24" LCD, get a new monitor. 24" is great, but my next stupid purchase will be a 30" :D

No, alot of people use hdtv's on their pc, I mention it because I will can promise you it is by far the most rewarding upgrade you will ever do for your pc, so its an idea. You can purchase used screend, does not have to be a new 700-1000 dollar one.

But if the choice is between the monitor or a vid card, I'm sure he can't afford even a used HDTV.

But I agree it would be awesome!:D I use a 24" crt TV - 640x480 resolution looks pretty rough compared to my 19" LCD.

Back