Easy question for you gurus

CrazyMrB

Gawd
I've just jumped into Linux--well, not so much jumped in as waded in. I'm running Lycoris and I'm trying to customize it a bit for my entertainment. I was wondering how to change the skin on mozilla to an aqua-ish skin. I was also wondering how to make the minimize, resize, close buttons look more like OS X's. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

I'd also like to get out of the 60Hz range on my monitor. I have an NEC FE991SB (19" trinitron) running on an ATi Radeon 9200. How do I change the refresh rate to 85 or better? I went into the control area and Linux says it's running 100Hz, but it obviously isn't.

Thanks,
Brandon

*Edit* I also can't get Opera to work. I installed it, but when I click it the hourglass goes for about 30 seconds and the program closes. I know this is a lot of junk to mess with, but, like I said, I'm new and willing to learn.

Sounds to me like you've done a full install and ended up with a gui without any effort. Unfortunately this is not the best way to "wade" into *nix. I would suggest maybe trying a more difficult install that runs you through all the important steps. I'll throw in Gentoo as an example. you will find answers to most of your questions throughout the install process and gain a much greater understanding of how the OS works. others care to agree / disagree?

how you change the window theme depends on what wm you are using.

kde or gnome?

most canned distro's have some sort of gui themer on the start menu by default.

if your using kde.. go to www.kde-look.org.. but yes i use gentoo.. and if you new.. don't try gentoo unless you have the install handbook handy..try slackware or something if you really want to get your feet wet.

AchTuNG! said:
Unfortunately this is not the best way to "wade" into *nix.
I'd say he's picked a fine way to wade in as opposed to doing a belly flop.

lomn75 said:
Agreed.

There are those of us who, the first time, fought and struggled to get X up and running, with a wm on top of that. Most of us have grey hairs for the effort, only to discover the gui, at the time, sucked ( note: This is, far and away, no longer the case ).

I'd say he's both picked a great way to wade in AND he's smarter than us.

Gentoo is way to much for a first time user. They'd never get it installed. Go with an easy distro. Get used to linux and the commands. After you are comfortable with that then it's time for Gentoo or Linux from Scratch.

lomn75 said:
Also agreed. And after reading the first sentence of AchTung's post, I just knew that the word "Gentoo" would show up in there somewhere.

lycoris uses KDE as default desktop.
so changing the themes cant be that painfull
as mentioned earlier www.kde-look.org offers LOTS of themes, etc.
while i never get used to kde i know theres an app called Control Center within KDE which lets you customize nearly everything in relation to KDE.
you dont have to install it, its part of KDE.
look through the menues and you will find it.

for the monitor/radeon, i suggest installing the driver from ati.
(if you want better 3d accelleration)
unfortunately the lycoris.org-site sucks a lot and doesnt tell what version of X is shipped and so on... but it shouldnt be that much voodoo to do.
after all look into a file called /etc/X11/XF86Config or if lycoris comes with x.org /etc/X11/xorg.conf. i know this file is scary for a newbie but you have to go through :)
(still better than trying to understand the registry in windoze :)

in that file are such sections like device, driver, etc and also for your monitor.
like:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
HorizSync 31.5 - 80.5
VertRefresh 60 - 85
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

look into your monitors handbook and fill in the appropriate settings and restart X (Ctrl +Alt + Backspace)
it is always a good idea to BACKUP your old settings file in case you screw something :)

i never ever would suggest gentoo or slackware for firsttimers (even though the gentoo handbook is WELL written) but neither lycoris cause it seems that it is limited in some ways. which means you never have to chance to see if the gnome-desktop fits your needs more than kde. i did not see a hint on the lycoris site if gnome is also included.
i would rather suggest fedora or suse or debian (try the unstable version its stable :) they all come with handy installers and you are free to experiment the more advanced you get with linux.

Okay, so I downloaded SuSE and installed it. I did a manual install because it wouldn't powerup my mouse (USB Intillimouse optical), but it still doesn't seem to pick up on the scrollwheel or the scrollwheel button. I've gotten opera to run on it and open office. I'm up for suggestions as to what else I should screw around with, but I've got to get this mousewheel thing taken care of. Does anyone know how to enable it? Any info is appreciated.

Brandon

*EDIT* I got the scroll wheel to work.

Back