Easy dual channel mem question for OCing

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
For a board that has dual channel would it be better to go 256x2 or would 1 stick of 512 not make much of a difference? How would 1 vs. 2 affect OCing?

2x 256MB dual channel will have better performance than 1 512MB dual channel but it depends on how many memory slots you have open cause if you only have two and use them up now then to upgrade it will be more expensive

what kind of a OC would I get out of just one stick?

huh? if you use only 1 stick, you will definetly get a better overclock out of your memory than if you use two sticks, because the mem controller is stressed less. However, the added bandwith of dual channel operation offsets this clock speed loss and ends up performing better in the end.

Originally posted by BlueIce41188
a crappy one if that at all
well not exactly, i built a friend of mine a computer w/ 1 stick of 512 Buffalo Tech PC-3200. we used a 2500+ and it OC'ed like a dream to 3200+ w/o extra volts.

but to answer ur question, there has been a difference of about 3% or so with AMD based computers with dual channel but with an Intel based computer, the increase is much more than that...im not sure exactly how much but much more than a measly 3%

Back