e6600 build

grenadier

Limp Gawd
Here is what I'm working on for my Conroe build (items already purchased are starred)

E6600
AB9-Pro (cheap, decent fsb ocing, firewire, esata)
*2GB OCZ DDR2-6400 4-5-4-15
*Evga 7600GT w/Zalman VF900CU
*2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB
*Scythe Ninja
*Antec P180B
*Seasonic S12 380W

Any comments? Guesses on how high I might be able to get 24/7 for video editing?

good combo , when you build it you will find out what you will get , but its looking good

I have the AB9 Pro right now and with a bios flash is starting to come around (old bios didn't have memory timings).

kirbyrj said:
I have the AB9 Pro right now and with a bios flash is starting to come around (old bios didn't have memory timings).

There should be another beta BIOS out soon. One of the guys over at XtremeSystems is in the process of reviewing this board and his Taiwanese contact mentioned a new beta BIOS but he didn't send it to him yet.

And grenadier, i would go with the Big Typhoon instead of the Ninja as well as i would get a beefier power supply then 380w. Also keep in mind that OCZ memory doesn't currently really work with this motherboard. I'm having to run a single stick and not been able to overclock much. I hear the Corsair PC2-6400 works better and i'm going to pick up some of the CAS5 which is only like $177AR at ZZF.

burningrave101 said:
One of the guys over at XtremeSystems is in the process of reviewing this board and his Taiwanese contact mentioned a new beta BIOS but he didn't send it to him yet.

Yep. I'm waiting on Fugger's results too :)

burningrave101 said:
Also keep in mind that OCZ memory doesn't currently really work with this motherboard.

Any chance that this will be fixed by the next bios revision? I really don't want to drop the extra $ on a P5B or P5W since I don't need the extra wi-fi, blower, and all that other junk that drives the price way up, but the AB9 is starting to look like a headache waiting to happen. Hopefully Fugger will have some results tomorrow.

I have OCZ memory in mine right now (the 4-5-4-12 stuff) and it works fine. Only using a 805 for now though.

I had a problem with my a8n32-sli with ocz gold and the timings were too fast for it to be handled by the board but after i loostened them a wee bit they were good to go.

Another thing is that i learnt from Sir Eclipse (nice man , very much like Sir Kirbyrj) that the ram has to get used to the board before you start seeing its real potential.

I have ordered the Supertalant DDR2 modules and they are suppose to be some lightening fast modules and i know that i am going to have some problems when installing them because them be supertight latencies but the trouble i have learnt in the long run is worth it.

Check on OCZ forums and there is this guy like the ramguy and he claims he can make them work on any boards.

I'm getting so irritated waiting for e6600's to come back in stock. I'd just go with a 6300, but the extra cache which is usually pretty useless is worth about 10% in most of the video editing/encoding apps that I use. I need to finish this rig before the 18th so I might end up using an 805D as a stand in, but I'd much rather just buy the e6600 at an inflated price. I'd be happy to bite my tongue and shell out $340-$360 at this point if they were only in stock.

Back