E6300 and E6400 Overclocking Article on Anand

bassman

[H]ard|Gawd
The article is supposed to be about overclocking, but it gives some good performance numbers for high-end AMD and Intel CPUs in a X1900XT Crossfire setup. Good info.

Link

:eek: wow, look at those numbers! those value priced conroes are an excellent buy!!

kudos to anandtech, hope they keep the awesome enthusiast articles coming!

Impressive, most impressive. Anand's churning out some excellent stuff with great info. Nice to see. Not many others are which kinda sucks. :rolleyes:

I wish these reviewers (Xbit, AT) would get a decent motherboard before overclocking C2Ds with low multis. The Gigabyte DS3 can go 400+ easily.

mmmmmm that 6300 looks delicious

I was waiting to see how their budget core2 would perform with half the cache

aldamon said:
I wish these reviewers (Xbit, AT) would get a decent motherboard before overclocking C2Ds with low multis. The Gigabyte DS3 can go 400+ easily.

The Asus P5W DH is a decent board, they probably just aren't doing something right in the BIOS because they got a lot lower overclocking results then others with their recent article they did over several different boards which included the Gigabyte DQ6. They probably just need to bump the CPU and chipset voltage more.

zumzum said:
wow look at how e6400 beat x2 5000+ in almost all game tests. amazing!
An overclocked e6400 at 2.88Ghz was beating the x6800 in a fair number of the benchmarks.... thats amazing. I can only attribute that the higher FSB speed, but damn!!

aldamon said:

I agree. I'm waiting for an OC review of the DS3 before I run out and grab one. I've seen the posts on various forums, but something on [H], AT, or somewhere else would probably seal the deal for me.

Even with their very low FSB overclock, this quote sums it up well:

Our overclocked E6300 was able to equal and in all cases but one outperform AMD's Athlon 64 FX-62. In fact, in quite a few benchmarks, the overclocked E6300 is essentially out of reach of anything AMD can offer with their current K8 designs. At $183, the value here is tremendous, and if you're willing to overclock the benefits don't get any clearer than that.

GoldenTiger said:
Even with their very low FSB overclock, this quote sums it up well:

That's the one that impressed me the most. You can see which apps or Games like even that small FSB increase. I actually liked that they weren't overclocked that high, that makes them look even better. These will end up being overclocks even Noobs can do with a stock FanHeatsink.

I'm kind of stuck about, which processor would be the best purchase. Does anyone know whether you really need aftermarket cooling to get decent overclocks and still run a silent comp?

I've been looking over at XS and initially it seems like the 6300 + a DS3 was the strongest price/performance combo. However, after a second look, I'm not sure if a lot of those high overclocks were done with software overclocking. Also, it seems like there's a problem with the onboard jmicron/gigabyte raid forcing your CD/DVD drives into PIO mode.

Anand also says the P5W-DH is $250. That's already insanely expensive, and I can't find it for that price anywhere in stock. Monarch and Tankguys have it backordered, probably mid august, and other sites like newegg and zipzoomfly are gouging at $269. Wasn't there also a CMOS chip issue or something with this board?

Also, are all these overclocks people are getting requiring mods to the mobo and pumping more voltage into the chipset?

brucedeluxe169 said:
i'm thinking the 6300.... the price is just irresistable......

Then you'd love the E6400. It's a newbie-OCer's dream (and AM2's worst nightmare). It utterly pantsed everything AMD (except the FX-62) stock, and when OCed to 2.88 GHz (and this is with the stock HSF, folks), it nuked the FX-62 as well. What's surprising is that it's a $224USD processor. I was looking at the E6600 (the midrange processor, and the slowest of the 4 MB Conroes) at $318USD; however, given that cache is an issue primarily in Office (as opposed to most other apps) the E6400 makes for a killer stopgap between my current setup and Kentsfield.

You could probably go a lot higher than they did with a different motherboard and third party cooling. They used the shitty stock cooler.

Is anyone else disappointed with the results? I was expecting both chips to easily go over 3ghz at stock voltage actually.

Didn't Anand get their E6600 to nearly 4ghz? Not sure how stable that was, but still, the E6300 fell well over 1ghz short of that mark.

Adrian

asmielia said:
Is anyone else disappointed with the results? I was expecting both chips to easily go over 3ghz at stock voltage actually.

Didn't Anand get their E6600 to nearly 4ghz? Not sure how stable that was, but still, the E6300 fell well over 1ghz short of that mark.

Adrian

I don't know how anyone could be dissapointed with these results. They overclocked some of the cheapest conroe processors to nearly the same speeds as the highest end ones. If the multiplier wasn't so low (7x and 8x) then its speculated these chips can hit 3ghz+. Hopefully when the E4300 comes out early 2007 it'll be an INSANE overclocking champ. Until then I think I'm going to get an E6300 and just take it to the limit with good cooling and a high FSB motherboard.

It's still good, don't get me wrong, but after seeing the OC results for the E6600 on Anandtech, I thought the E6300 would have the potential to hit double its clockspeed with good cooling/added voltage.

And I don't think Anand was limited by FSB, that motherboard of his hit over 400mhz FSB in the earlier article. Here he was topping out at 370.

Adrian

I am not usually a fan of anandtech, they seem to have a perpetual AMD bias over there, but I have to admit these benches are impressive.

asmielia said:

Adrian

The motherboard AT used hit the FSB wall before the processor. That's why we're saying a Gigabyte DS3 should have been used.

An no, I'm not disappointed with the results even below 3 GHz. The 6300 is a $200 CPU.

Keep in mind that those clocks were achieved with stock cooling. We all know how shitty that it.

NulloModo said:
I am not usually a fan of anandtech, they seem to have a perpetual AMD bias over there, but I have to admit these benches are impressive.

Anandtech has been putting out some excellent articles here the last couple of weeks over Conroe. Very in-depth and lengthy. Those are the kind of articles i'm interested in reading. I'm not interested in the short articles that have a half a dozen canned benchmarks and very little actual info. I've found that over at Anandtech they jump on whatever band waggon is going by. I'll have to be honest that i've sensed more of an AMD bias from here over the years then i have Anandtech but i'm mostly just referring to the forums.

damn they clocked the hell out of that 6400, and it spanked its higher brothers :p

burningrave101 said:
Anandtech has been putting out some excellent articles here the last couple of weeks over Conroe. Very in-depth and lengthy. Those are the kind of articles i'm interested in reading. I'm not interested in the short articles that have a half a dozen canned benchmarks and very little actual info. I've found that over at Anandtech they jump on whatever band waggon is going by. I'll have to be honest that i've sensed more of an AMD bias from here over the years then i have Anandtech but i'm mostly just referring to the forums.

Yea, they seem to get excited about whatever works best at the time, nothing wrong with that. They loved the X2 stuff, mainly because its a damn good product.

Unlike this place, which has clearly chosen sides.

aldamon said:
And no, I'm not disappointed with the results even below 3 GHz. The 6300 is a $200 CPU.

The results are impressive. I was planning on an E6600, but I may go for an E6400 or E6300 to save some money.

Hmmmm...too bad they didn't put up the P5WDH vs. the DS3 since those seem to be the front running overclocking boards. Why did both the 6300-6400 get stuck at the 370FSB mark?

Was it the stock cooling or was the NB heating up too much?

mayakindaguy said:
Hmmmm...too bad they didn't put up the P5WDH vs. the DS3 since those seem to be the front running overclocking boards. Why did both the 6300-6400 get stuck at the 370FSB mark?

Was it the stock cooling or was the NB heating up too much?

The problem was that they made the mistake of using a dreadful asus board.

Though, the E6400 hit 360 and the E6300 hit 370. So It might not have been totally the board..

I'm biased.
Biased to whoever can achieve good performance with low heat and cost.

AMD held the throne, but Conroe is taking it back.
Now to wait and see if you can even find a Conroe, when, and any gotcha's on setting it up.

I'm sitting on a socket 939 SFF, so I'll likely just grab an X2 4200+ thanks to the great price drops, but Conroe has me itching to maybe buy a new platform. (mobo, chip, ram)

I really wish both of them would stop changing the socket every year.
They're in cahoots with the mobo makers.

Bona Fide said:
That review makes me reconsider getting the E6400 instead of the E6600. :eek:

I'm looking at E6400 now as well. Mainly because I agree it was a good review, I disagree with their overclocking results. I've seen better overclocks and the Gigabyte, called Junkabyte by some, overclocks better.

Anand's results do show some apps like cache as well so that 9 X multiplier and extra 2MB is not exactly a waste.

I am actually very surprised that the E6300 and E6400 did not O/C any further. They managed to get their P5W - DH up to 400MHz FSB in there conroe MB round up.

I am surprized the CPU held them back this time.

Back