e3 2007 canceled?

sad. :(

I hope that the big 3 decide to have their own events.... Spaceworld babie :)

They should charge the press attendees a lot more...they HAVE to go or else risk someone else getting the scoop. Just charge an assload and that should take care of the costs. :D

This isn't the first time this particular rumor has gotten floated around. Similar rumors were also passed around last year in 2005 when some major developers declined to participate in that years show. Rumors afterwards indicated that the next years, 2006, was going to be much smaller.

The arguments for the rumors were also bolstered by who, and who didn't, show up. This year Nvidia had their own booth again, while ATi who had a booth with F.E.A.R. back in 2005 declined have a booth in the South Hall, although they still did have meeting rooms in Kentia hall.

Previous attendees like MadCatz and Datel which have had booths in the past declined to show-up as well in 2006. And some of the developers in the Australian pavilion changed around.

Then there was the whole mess with NC-Soft. Never mind that just down the corridor in the Game Infinity booth they had 3 korean girls butchering classic rock songs, NC-Soft got hit with fines for breaking noise ordinaces for the floor with their concerts. Now, I don't know what the ESA was smoking, but I do know this. Holding a portable decible meter in South Hall is useless. The aftermath though with NC-Soft declaring that they were thinking about pulling out of next years E3...

Smaller publishers as well are finding it cheaper to work together to afford effective advertisment. For example, Nippon Ichi and Atlus which shared floor space and meeting room space (again).

What no one talked about though, is that the floor was still full. All the floor space was sold out... again. Even though several developers and publishers were not able to attend, there still was not enough room available.

And next year the 3 giants are going to be in full force as Nintendo joins Microsoft in having matured development titles to show off. Sony will begin to demonstrate first year Playstation3 software. And yes, I say first year software because I am still highly doubtful that Sony is actually going to be able to pull off a Playstation3 launch in 2006. At that price point 2007 is a better time-frame for Sony.

I'm also finding it difficult to believe that the show would move from the LACC, because I remember when it was in Atlanta. I also remember all of the reasons giving for keeping the conference on the west coast, and the reasons for keeping it in LA and near LAX.

Now though, the travel reasons might be a moot point considering that Japanese developers are making up a smaller percentage of overall game developers, and there are more developers from other countries and continents.

Anyways, Monday will tell, but given that this is near the exact same story fed back in 2005, I'll have to see it to believe it.

edit: spelling/grammer check

Wow...I cannot believe this....E3 is something that I look foreward to every single year....damn... :eek: :(

I just hope they make some changes to the show and fix the Issues they are having and not can it.

Limit the number of people per vendor, the number of press and store business owners and setup timeliness for each vendor or something along those line

Cancel the biggest advertising event for them? Not likely no matter how much it costs them.

Sad, man I have only gone to two E3's ( when it was in Atlanta ) man it was like walking into heaven for a gamer, that and I still have so much swag that was thrown around at the show.(shirts, keychains, ect.. ) :(

I could be 80 years old and never forget the feeling it was that good. Thats were I remember playing the demo for Spec Ops 1, it was running on a voodoo 2 12meg version in glide.

Saist said:
What no one talked about though, is that the floor was still full. All the floor space was sold out... again. Even though several developers and publishers were not able to attend, there still was not enough room available.

I've never gone (and never will, not being gaming press/retail and having little interest in "sneaking" in to attend a cattle call for game trailers and incomplete demos of games often still 2+ years from completion) but from the pictures I've seen of the floor, it seems it would always sell out because for companies like Microsoft, Sony, etc. renting the space is a marginal expense compared to the cost of the displays they build.

I would think that the marketing money those companies spend trying to out-flash each other at E3 would be better spent flying members of the press to their development houses for more "intimate" looks at what they're doing. Considering everything I've read about how the only places the press felt like they were getting their money's worth was in the off-floor semi-private showings, I suspect that a lot of people would agree.

When it comes right down to it, as a gamer who will never attend E3 - a group which is orders of magnitude larger than that consisting of E3 attendees - the whole thing is pretty irrelevant. Without E3 I'll likely end up with the same information that I'd have with it. The information just wouldn't all be released in the same week. Given how information can "slip through the cracks" when such a large amount of it is released in a short period of time, I'll probably end up better informed if E3 goes away.

2 things,

1. As far as trade shows go i was always able to get a ton more done at TGS than E3.

2. If they really cracked down on the numeber of "exhibits only" badges they were issueing it would cut their costs a lot. I'd say about 2/3 to to 3/4 of the attendees i crossed paths with were people who were there to play, not work.

The King of Pants said:
2 things,

1. As far as trade shows go i was always able to get a ton more done at TGS than E3.

2. If they really cracked down on the numeber of "exhibits only" badges they were issueing it would cut their costs a lot. I'd say about 2/3 to to 3/4 of the attendees i crossed paths with were people who were there to play, not work.

yea E3 ether needs to open up to every one or go profesnals only

60,000 doesnt seem like that many ppl to me after this years AX which i staff at and we had 50,000+ there this year

the other idea is do what the Tokyo Toy show does have one day were any one can go and the rest are indestry and press only

They should set up an adult E3 website and charge folks to see partially clad booth babes.
After all, the pron industry doesn’t seem to have any problems with funding.

LOL

Or maybe even set up a "special" area at the convention for adults. No booth babe dress codes and GTA could have a booth there!

Saist said:

You are exactly right. I had just as much trouble getting around this year as I ever have... And the lack of booth babes due to the rule changes was... err wait they were still there. Every year rumours are started and new rules used but nothing changes. 1 or 2 grumpy vendors say they are boycotting making room for people who are desperately wanting to show off their work is great for business. Fresh faces and ideas are a benefit to E3 not a hinderance.

Saist said:
I'm also finding it difficult to believe that the show would move from the LACC, because I remember when it was in Atlanta. I also remember all of the reasons giving for keeping the conference on the west coast, and the reasons for keeping it in LA and near LAX.

Call me crazy (and people from Atlanta no offence) but I never liked E3 there. Atlanta is a great city but I was actually going to stop attending E3 if they didn't move it. I think it was a cockroach incident at a posh restaurant that threw me off. Though the Sony parties in Atlanta were awesome.

So when E3 arrives next year I'm sure there will be just as much hype and traffic as there ever was.

stonedwaldo420 said:
They should set up an adult E3 website and charge folks to see partially clad booth babes.
After all, the pron industry doesn’t seem to have any problems with funding.

LOL

Or maybe even set up a "special" area at the convention for adults. No booth babe dress codes and GTA could have a booth there!

this is the problem E3 is a TRADESHOW and putting on the bling is pissing ppl off
from what i can tell seems some one big backed out

it cost millions to make and run the booths every year and it seems some ppl just dont want to do that any more

The King of Pants said:
I always have an "exhibits only" badge. I'm there to see a few games, meet some people learn some stuff and get back to SD.

I bet WalMart has something to do with this. If they REALLY wanted to get work done, get a room somewhere off site.

At least I won't have to worry about working on getting E3 demo milestones done. And maybe sites like G4 and IGN will go away (or get back to the way they used to be: cool) and stop whoring E3 and selling videos of the event.

--------------------------

I bet they are gonna say "Dizzam!! We need a trade show!!" two years down the line and guess what? No one will show because E3 is actually worked into most companies development cycles.

I highly, highly doubt it would ever be cancelled, the free press is simply tremendous. I could see it taking a different format, but not being cancelled.

this kinda sux I guess if this does happen I'll never get to see E3. Never went but it was my dream to go.... :(

well from the sound of the news it looks like there going to meetings only format and for the better imo this is a trade show not a fan con

Not to cancel just a different approach. The industry realizes that there are many of this exactly shows for their gene through out the year. E3 will just display everything without all the flash.

:( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Back