E-mail Exchange Of The Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
The producer of the movie Hurt Locker replied to an e-mail criticizing lawsuits against people that illegally download movies (his in particular). Now it seems some people are upset because, in his e-mail response, the producer called the person that e-mailed him a “moron and stupid.” I know you guys are going to have an opinion on this one, so don't be shy...let's hear what you have to say.

If you think it's normal they take my work for free, I'm sure you will give away all your furniture and possessions and your family will do the same. I can also send you my bank account information since apparently you work for free and your family too so since you have so much money you should give it away... I actually like to pay my employees, my family, my bank for their work and like to get paid for my work. I'm glad you're a moron who believes stealing is right. I hope your family and your kids end up in jail one day for stealing so maybe they can be taught the difference. Until then, keep being stupid, you're doing that very well.

With an attitude like that, he is only motivating people to pirate his movie.

His attitude is shit, but he does have a point: if you didn't pay for it, you're stealing it.

THE END.

There's simply no getting around that fact, folks.

I'll say this much: the movie ain't worth the time to download it... <hint, hint> Best Picture? Best Director? Not even...

Soon tv will all be embedded with a camera that detect how many viewers. The dvd will have viewing licenses in how many people are allow to watch the movie at the same time.

Is that what the riaa wants?

Except if you steal furniture you are taking a tangible good from someone. If you pirate his movie, he loses nothing, since most people who pirated it probably wouldn't have paid for it anyways. These people need to realize that not every incident of piracy is a lost sale. Most aren't, I would wager. People will take anything for free, but they are a lot more decisive about where their money goes.

"all" my furniture? So he never made a dime from the movie? I'm not sure of the statistics but, maybe more like my office chair since I don't have a lot of furniture. And as much as I don't agree with piracy, I could more than live giving away my office chair.. But if I did, would it go noticed? I doubt it would even if someone broke into my house and only stole my office chair. I didn't read the whole article since it's ridiculous.

If I could replicate my furniture and keep the original, then.... People arent stealing the Blu-ray disks or sneaking into theaters, they're downloading lower quality versions (though many are still good quality) and watching them at home.

Sure, it's stealing as defined by the law. But the internet isn't their market place, so who's taking what from who? I agree it isn't right, but don't let your work get exploited in the first place.

Except if you steal furniture you are taking a tangible good from someone. If you pirate his movie, he loses nothing, since most people who pirated it probably wouldn't have paid for it anyways. These people need to realize that not every incident of piracy is a lost sale. Most aren't, I would wager. People will take anything for free, but they are a lot more decisive about where their money goes.

Well I find it funny he said "give away" not "steal" my furniture and possessions. He must be saying his movies are awesome, and everyone I own is shit and not even worth stealing. Hmm. Maybe if I bought the Hurt Locker that means that is shit too. Give it away.. Along with my microwave after I zapp the DVD.

I dunno, I'd hazard a guess that the person who steals your couch wasn't going to buy one anyway.

That said, the original dude's e-mail is pretty pointless, could possibly have been modified before submission to the site, and I'm not sure that Chartier's point is all that off base, despite his very blunt way of stating it.

I'd love to hear what he has to say about other successful movie like Avatar which was probably pirated many times more than his movie ever will be. We don't hear about them bitching about how pirates have stolen all their furnitures. In fact, those movies still, for some mysterious reason, manage to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue :eek:

He should take a clue

With an attitude like that, he is only motivating people to pirate his movie.

While I'm not saying what I'm about to post necessarily applies to you, but I find it funny what excuses people make to justify piracy.

"he has a bad attitude, i'll pirate the movie"
"the game has DRM, i'll pirate it when it gets cracked"
"the game shouldn't cost $60, i'll pirate it"
"the game has too high min spec, i'll pirate it"

Why not just tell it how it is. "I'm a cheap ass and if it costs money, i'll pirate it"

Illegal Downloader? said:
I wish to register my disagreement with these tactics, and would like you to know that as a result of these actions I am boycotting your films.

Ha. Ha Ha. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

<catches breath>

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

Ahem, sorry, lost it for a moment... If this guy thinks a boycott is going to keep people from buying the company's present or future movies, he's sadly mistaken.

The majority of the people you are suing were not seeking to make money from their downloads, and will be financially devastated by a lawsuit or settlement.

Gee, shouldn't have illegally downloaded the movie to begin with, eh?

While it is completely understandable that Voltage Pictures wishes to defend its intellectual property, this is an inhumane way of doing so.

Inhumane? Not really considering the circumstances. Although, I do believe the people should be given a chance to pay for the movie beforehand. If they balk at the offer to make right, go at them with both barrels.

I do not wish for the money I spend on entertainment to be used against otherwise good people.

If they were good people then why did they willfully download the movie knowing full well it is against the law to do so? A thief is a thief...

Nicolas Chartier said:
<snip> you suck thief <snip>

Absolutely, positively, without one shread-of-doubt agree with Mr. Chartier.

Yea people should pay if they want to use/own things, disagree with the terms the seller sets, then don't buy. Also if you are going to pirate, ffs stop bragging about it on the internet and/or encouraging others to do as you do, that's just unclassy.

If you are going to pirate stuff you have absolutely no grounds what-so-ever to complain about it when you get caught and have to pay for it. But, I suppose those that believe that would also be intelligent enough to not have stolen it in the first place.

Dirt bags will continue to be thieves and will continue to be liars about it later on. No surprise there. Thanks for making us honest folks suffer for it. A-holes.

Seriously, if the guy was struggling, I'd feel bad for him.... but this all boilers down to the fact that he makes 6 mil on this movie rather than 8...... blow me

People should not pirate. It makes them look cheap, and that they think they are entitled to other peoples hard work for free. Additionally, it often makes people that actually pay their own way ignore whatever else they had to say whether it held merit or not.

People should not attempt to equate copyright infringement with theft. It makes them look foolish when they do so. Additionally, it often makes others that know the difference between the two, ignore whatever else they had to say whether it held merit or not.

No, actually, it's "copyright infringement" as defined by the law. Do we really have to have this theft vs. infringement debate again? :rolleyes:

Exactly right. Pirating IS illegal as 'copyright infringement" and, potentially, depriving them of revenue. It is NOT stealing, as that would imply the loss of inputs required to make the finished product. E.g. "pirating" someone's house would be roughly analogous to breaking into someone's home and copying the floor-plan, furniture arrangement, and the furniture design - but you don't actually deprive them of their house nor furniture.

Not to mention when you steal something, you generally aren't entitled to 10,000x the value of the stolen item in damages.

Can I get paid millions of dollars for what amounts to a few months of talentless work? Sorry Mr. Producer guy, I'm not feeling your pain here.

Give me a break. That was a reasonable argument when a VHS tape ran $80.00 and there was no blockbuster or netflix.

It has absolutely no merit when you can rent the movie for 5 bucks from Blockbuster, PPV, Apple and Amazon and you can get unlimited rentals from Netflix for under $20.00/month. If it's not worth that much to see the flick, then don't watch it.
I might be sympathetic, if every downloader was poor, i'd buy into it, but in the U.S., most are not. They just think they're entitled.

Then again, I'm sure Kyle wouldn't mind if I copied [H] content and put up on my own ad free site. It's not like I'm stealing from him. I'll just capture it as I read the content, just like I normally would. It won't cost [H] anything, and let's face it, most of the people that come to my site probably wouldn't come to a site like [H]ardOCP, because they have ads. My readers would, without a doubt, be unwilling to tolerate such blatant capitalism. :rolleyes:

Soon tv will all be embedded with a camera that detect how many viewers. The dvd will have viewing licenses in how many people are allow to watch the movie at the same time.

Is that what the riaa wants?
Please, these threads get really old when people show they are not aware of the facts.

FACT: RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America. The RIAA has nothing to do with the film industry, whose trade association is the Motion Picture Association of America or MPAA.

Nicholas Chartier, admitted to sending out mass emails campaigning to Academy members to vote for The Hurt Locker. He was subsequently banned from the show.

So its ok for you to drum up false interest and try to persuade voters for your award, so you can steal it from a more deserving film.

But if people steal your less than deserving film, they are thieves.

Sure makes sense to me. Hypocrite.

He's right, stealing is wrong, but so are his actions, and he'll just snub his nose at those things as "necessary promotion for his art"

If you set a precedent that only physical products are worthy of protection or payment, then you can rid yourself of half the services in the world whil you watch the actual physical products cost rise beyond affordability and fall below any useful quality.

Sure, not every pirated action is a lost sale, however do you sneak into Six Flags then walk around testing out all the rides only to find that the suck then feel it is ok to just leave and not pay?

"all" my furniture? So he never made a dime from the movie? I'm not sure of the statistics but, maybe more like my office chair since I don't have a lot of furniture. And as much as I don't agree with piracy, I could more than live giving away my office chair.. But if I did, would it go noticed? I doubt it would even if someone broke into my house and only stole my office chair. I didn't read the whole article since it's ridiculous.

So you are fine with things being taken from you as long as it doesn't really affect your life... Where do you live, btw?

I'd love to hear what he has to say about other successful movie like Avatar which was probably pirated many times more than his movie ever will be. We don't hear about them bitching about how pirates have stolen all their furnitures. In fact, those movies still, for some mysterious reason, manage to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue :eek:

He should take a clue

So a more valued product has a legitimate concern to be protected by illegal activity, but a lesser valued product doesn't?

Go ahead and steal something from James Cameron, then watch as he doesn't "bitch" about it but rather turns you into the police.

No, actually, it's "copyright infringement" as defined by the law. Do we really have to have this theft vs. infringement debate again? :rolleyes:

Yet, it's steal a crime where one takes from another. A debate can weigh and balance whatever you want, and exaggerate or diminish points to no end, but no debate can change a fact that someone taking from another and not paying for the use/service/product render is stealing.

Seriously, if the guy was struggling, I'd feel bad for him.... but this all boilers down to the fact that he makes 6 mil on this movie rather than 8...... blow me

So now you get to skirt the law depending on how much you perceive someone should be paid on their efforts? That's an awesome world you live in. You should start your own business and see how awesome it is to tell an employee he has to work until midnight instead of getting off a 5pm, because you figured you've already paid him enough for the day.

Exactly right. Pirating IS illegal as 'copyright infringement" and, potentially, depriving them of revenue. It is NOT stealing, as that would imply the loss of inputs required to make the finished product. E.g. "pirating" someone's house would be roughly analogous to breaking into someone's home and copying the floor-plan, furniture arrangement, and the furniture design - but you don't actually deprive them of their house nor furniture.

That's right, you don't steal from the homeowner. You deprive the home builder, the engineer, the manufacturer, the laborer, the contractor, and many others involved.

Not to mention when you steal something, you generally aren't entitled to 10,000x the value of the stolen item in damages.

However if you were generally entitled to pay back 10,000x the value, I think theft in general may be diminished.

Can I get paid millions of dollars for what amounts to a few months of talentless work? Sorry Mr. Producer guy, I'm not feeling your pain here.

So is it ok if I'm a judge and don't award you any damages when someone robs you of the benefits received from a job (like a bonus) because you do non-skilled labor on that job? If not, realize that your precedent is set, your just haggling on the extremities like a prostitute for hire.

Give me a break. That was a reasonable argument when a VHS tape ran $80.00 and there was no blockbuster or netflix.

It has absolutely no merit when you can rent the movie for 5 bucks from Blockbuster, PPV, Apple and Amazon and you can get unlimited rentals from Netflix for under $20.00/month. If it's not worth that much to see the flick, then don't watch it.
I might be sympathetic, if every downloader was poor, i'd buy into it, but in the U.S., most are not. They just think they're entitled.

Then again, I'm sure Kyle wouldn't mind if I copied [H] content and put up on my own ad free site. It's not like I'm stealing from him. I'll just capture it as I read the content, just like I normally would. It won't cost [H] anything, and let's face it, most of the people that come to my site probably wouldn't come to a site like [H]ardOCP, because they have ads. My readers would, without a doubt, be unwilling to tolerate such blatant capitalism. :rolleyes:

You have the right idea in the majority of the post except for the highlighted. If you are willing to compromise with criminals, no matter what their reason or justification, you are sanctioning their activity.

So its ok for you to drum up false interest and try to persuade voters for your award, so you can steal it from a more deserving film.

That's called beg marketing, and particularly required in that industry because of the following: in the Hollywood industry talent and product don't win awards on their own merit, rather it is all politically based.

13314_352949747760_553447760_3624834_813226_n.jpg

/end

Back