Dynamic DNS Server Software

parityboy

Limp Gawd
Hello --

I'm looking for dyndns server software (not client) for a project I'm working on, preferably open source and for Linux. I've been digging around, but the options seem limited. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks. :)

Any reason why you can't use a provider such as gandi.net?
//Danne

I would assume due to the recent incapacitation of no-ip.com. I've often wanted to run something like this myself, so if you find a good answer to this I'd love to hear about it!

@diizzy

For their own reasons, the customer needs to run this internally and have it under their own control.

Bind doesn't interact with the client per se. It waits for the client to send it nsupdates.

Bind allows updates from a client script that is run on client machines or routers.

The client script encrypts with a key and sends messages to the server, which then changes the zone.

Google is your friend. "dynamic DNS bind" will get you 100% where you need to go.

What are you using for a router? Also, would registering a domain for yourself be an option?

The reason I ask is that use dd-wrt and ported my domain over to zoneedit.com and the both of them keep that straight for me.

@mwarps

Yes, I've been googling around trying to figure out how to do it. From what I've seen the ddclient running on the client machine or router detects the IP address change, logs into a webserver with the customer username and password and tells the web application of the change. The web application then triggers a script which in turn updates the DNS server record.

I've also found that there are different protocols between the ddclient and the remote service, each running over HTTP(S) and each sending a different data format, depending on the service provider.

@boss99

For this project, the client machines are actually connected VPN clients so the local routers are not involved in any way. Certain clients of the VPN service will be long-term connected will provide secure private network services, therefore they will need to be addressable by a domain name; they are still allocated an IP via DHCP so that IP can change, hence the question concerning dynamic DNS.

@mwarps

Yes, I've been googling around trying to figure out how to do it. From what I've seen the ddclient running on the client machine or router detects the IP address change, logs into a webserver with the customer username and password and tells the web application of the change. The web application then triggers a script which in turn updates the DNS server record.

I've also found that there are different protocols between the ddclient and the remote service, each running over HTTP(S) and each sending a different data format, depending on the service provider.

@boss99

For this project, the client machines are actually connected VPN clients so the local routers are not involved in any way. Certain clients of the VPN service will be long-term connected will provide secure private network services, therefore they will need to be addressable by a domain name; they are still allocated an IP via DHCP so that IP can change, hence the question concerning dynamic DNS.

ddclient is not a useful thing in this case. I'm talking about running a simple script on local linux clients (via cron or some other means, you did specify linux in your first post...) which directly updates bind without using HTTP. You've been reading about dyndns (like dyndns.org) updaters, which is not what I'm talking about at all, and not what you asked about.

But that doesn't even make sense now, since you've now actually told us what you're doing (allocating with DHCP)... This becomes a whole lot easier.

isc-dhcpd has DNS update mechanisms built in.

Again, google is your friend;

Here's a howto:

http://blog.bigdinosaur.org/running-bind9-and-isc-dhcp/

Seriously, what are you even doing if you can't squash this problem with 10 lines of shell?

Back