DX10.1 Totally Downplayed by Crytek, Microsoft, NVIDIA

WhiteZero

2[H]4U
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9656

Microsoft's senior global director of Microsoft games on Windows, Kevin Unangst, replied, "DX10.1 is an incremental update that won’t affect any games or gamers in the near future."

Cevat Yerli, CEO of Crytek, states,"We pride ourselves on being the first to adopt any important newtechnology that can improve our games so you would expect us to getwith DX10.1 right away but we've looked at it and there's just nothingin it important enough to make it needed. So we have no plans to useit at all, not even in the future."

NVIDIA's latest guidance describes DirectX 10.1 as "a minor extension of DirectX 10 that makes a few optional features in DirectX 10 mandatory."

I guess thats why it's version 10.1 and not 10.5 or 10(insert letter here, like in DX9). ;)

A show of hands...
how many are going to be running the current crop of cards when DirectX 10 is main stream let alone DirectX 10.1?

Yet...

NVIDIA's corporate roadmap details plans to include DirectX 10.1 in its ninth-generation GPU architecture, codenamed D9. However, the first D9 processors will not debut until next year, likely after the release of Microsoft's Vista Service Pack 1.

It seems insignificant but they are also adopting it. Is it to 'tout' as well?

No reason at all to not include it.

I just look at it as damage control and a play on words more than anything. Remember when news of 10.1 first hit? Everyone was yelling 10.0 is OBSOLETE! My card is going to be OBSOLETE! We knew it wouldn't be but many believed it true. How many people still believe that and are holding out on a DX10 card because of that news? Now, ATI rolls around with it's new cards and touts 10.1. Those holding out now feel a purchase can be made. It makes me wonder if ATI knows this and is playing the 10.1 card to draw in those that were reluctant to buy into the whole DX10 thing in the first place. It's actually brilliant! Not everyone is tech gifted like you guys or is able to soak in tech news and see through the bs.

Seeing how Crytek and Nvidia are sleeping together, something needs to be done about this. Sure, what they are saying is true. But why even go there unless you are worried about something? Why the statement at all at this point in time when you will eventually be making the same change in the months to come? And for Microsoft to even speak on the matter, well. They were the ones that threw the wrench into the mix in the first place. I know, all speculation and conspiracy like but this is just how I see it. Damage control....

DX10.1 Totally Downplayed by Crytek, Microsoft, NVIDIA

Well duh, they don't have it yet....

Just wait until they do, then they will be singing a different tune.

Whoever doesn't have something the other side does downplays it, until they have it....

Our job will be to find out the truth behind it, and what it means for gamers. We will have our input on it. later....

Define simple.

I'm assuming it's as simple as if... say, you went to a burger joint and ordered a burger (video card) and you saw that they had cheese (DX10.1 support) avalible. So your all like, "Hey, lemmie get some cheese on that", and they were like "Nah, the cheese is not really that important to the burger. It's not going to fill you up anymore than the burger already will..." And your all like "Well, I know it's not important, but it would be nice to have... :("

Thats kind of how I think of it... damn, now I'm hungry... :mad:

Doesn't this sound vaguely similar to the SM2.0b vs SM3.0 debate from when the 6800/X800 cards launched? :eek:

^ except that this is an even smaller thing than that, the differences between SM 2.0 to 3.0 is much bigger than SM 4.0 to 4.1

I'm assuming it's as simple as if... say, you went to a burger joint and ordered a burger (video card) and you saw that they had cheese (DX10.1 support) avalible. So your all like, "Hey, lemmie get some cheese on that", and they were like "Nah, the cheese is not really that important to the burger. It's not going to fill you up anymore than the burger already will..." And your all like "Well, I know it's not important, but it would be nice to have... :("

Thats kind of how I think of it... damn, now I'm hungry... :mad:

Actually you can have cheese in a separate container with that burger, but you can't eat it for at least 2 years and when you do its not going to taste like much at all. :rolleyes:

Well duh, they don't have it yet....

Just wait until they do, then they will be singing a different tune.

Whoever doesn't have something the other side does downplays it, until they have it....

Our job will be to find out the truth behind it, and what it means for gamers. We will have our input on it. later....

That's true, but the key element here is Microsoft. Even they say it's not that important.

That's true, but the key element here is Microsoft. Even they say it's not that important.

Thats not what they said. They said "DX10.1 is an incremental update that won’t affect any games or gamers in the near future." As Brent says as soon as nVidia has this feature it will be much more important :p

The common person won't know that DX10.1 isn't important all they see is that that 10.1 is larger than 10.0 and thus it must be better.

Like a lot of normal people would think that a 8500GT 1GB must be better than a 7900GTX 512MB.

Thats not what they said. They said "DX10.1 is an incremental update that won’t affect any games or gamers in the near future." As Brent says as soon as nVidia has this feature it will be much more important :p

And I agreed with what Brent said about that.
However, I pointed out that the key element is Microsoft downplaying the importance of DX10.1, for gamers.

DX10 sucks as it is now for gaming anyways.

Heheheh how come ATI is touting it so much then? :p

Because its a feature NV doesnt have. NV would (and has) done the same thing in the past. Its common sense, but I suppose you wanted a different answer.

DX 10.1 is just a tiny step up and contains things like, "4x AA MUST be supported"...as opposed to "4x AA can be supported". It's nothing and that's why no one's making a big deal about it. Also, even if it were a big step up like DX9 was over DX8 (huge graphical difference), the first generation of cards (which even have trouble with DX9 and 10 games) would still not be very fast when using those new features.

All in all, it's simply a non-issue. All cards will support 10.1 (and more) eventually, but right now it just doesn't matter.

I just checked the Valve survey results today and about 10% of people had Vista with a DX10 card (so people won't make many real DX10 games). Also, most games aren't DX10 and if they are, they just using some extra little features...so I wouldn't expect DX10.1 to be used for at least 2-3 years...which leads me to my main point: DX10.1 is really just not important, regardless of how companies advertise it since we'll all have new cards by the time it's used and especially by the time it's mandatory because all games use it.

Back