DVI vs VGA

Ang

Gawd
So ever since I've been using computers I usually have been using the VGA input on monitors.

And the VGA to DVI adapters on my Video card.

I only use a Samsung 17" LCD monitor which has a DVI input on it.. and an 8800GT.

Will there be a noticeable difference in getting a DVI cable? And where is a good place to get one for a good price.

I just went from a 17" NEC old monitor w/ VGA through DVI adaptor to a BenQ 24" G2400WD w/ DVI and I notice no difference. I only play one game atm though.

Well, if you had a CRT, you wouldn't see a bit of improvement. Fortunately, that's not the case here.

DVI basically transmits directly from video card to monitor, while VGA has to take the color palette (RGB) and convert it, compromising time and some accuracy. That's the short version, anyway. You may see some difference in clarity or picture quality, but there's no guarantee.

Any recommendations of where to get one without getting destroyed on the price i.e. Best Buy (unless I can get a friend to get it for me)?

I second monoprice, they have great prices for cables.

I only really notice the difference between VGA and DVI when I have 2 monitors next to each other with each connection.

Back