DVI cable question....

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I have two DVI cables... one has all the pins... the other cable is missing a bunch of the pins. Whats the difference in these two cables? Will it make a difference on wich one I use?

The one with a whole bunch of pins is a DVI-I cable, it can transfer both DVI and VGA signals. (As you problably know you can connect a VGA-monitor to the DVI connector, with an adapter, on most graphicscards).

The one with only some of the pins is a DVI-D cable and can only transfer DVI-signal.

whats funny... if i i use the DVI-I cable is get weird pixel problems... mostly when i reboot and it get to my wall paper it has all these blinking pixels... turn monitor off then back on.. .they go away. Now If i use a DVI-D cable I never see them at all. What would be causing this? Ive tried like 5 different cables.. only the DVI-D cables dont cause problems.

I don't know, and who really cares :p Just use the one that works best. If you really need to know, it's the DVI Ghost, it swoops down onto random DVI cables and stays there, haunting the signal, foreeeveeeer.....:eek:

Originally posted by Zeke
I don't know, and who really cares :p Just use the one that works best. If you really need to know, it's the DVI Ghost, it swoops down onto random DVI cables and stays there, haunting the signal, foreeeveeeer.....:eek:

You've been watching to many X-Files bro :D

The same thing happen on my Viewsonic vp171s, i just bought it at Compusa for 499.00 (after MIR)..

took it home, was stoked on how it had 0 dead pixels...

but later on after playing game... and loading a bunch of fully colored images on the lcd ...

I notice a few (2 or 3) individual pixels blinking..

the first time i notice they were blinking bright green, second time a faded red.. ...

i also notice that when plugged in with the analog cable no pixels ever! let it run with game and many pictures..

only with the DVI-d(i believe) single link cable that the 171 came with ...

Im building a brand new system as i type this.. and im prayin that it goes away with all the new stuff!.. otherwise im out to buy a new dvi cable.....

are you sure it was the DVI-D cable that nothing showed up??

and if so what brand of cable is that DVI-D that you got, and is it dual link????

I tested the minotr on a radeon 8500 card under win98.. ill post again when i test it on win 2k pro with a radeon 9600xt

another thing i forgot to mention...

the blinking pixels were not usually on my deskopt image.. but i did see them there also..

when i would load an image... and there would be like 2 pixel flickering on that image..

I would move the image around the screen.. and those same pixels would move with the image itself! and remain in the same spot.!!! so wierd!

so it cant be the monitor can it!? has to be a dvi issue or video card issue..

also if u drag another image on top of the image with the blinking pixels u would no longer see the pixels... when u take the image off of the affected image they would be there still..

tuning monitor on and off would not get rid of blinking pixel for me.

however.... when I would zoom in on the image with the blinking pixels they would DISAPPEAR!!! so WTF is that!!!!!!!!!

hehe
crazy azz lcds. any ideas on a solution?!!??!!? anyone?!!?

Back