DVD Problems

garry26

Gawd
My DVD gives me problems when I view movies. I can see 1/2 to 2/3rds of the DVD and then it freezes up on me. It will freeze up at the same point in the movie every time and theres no way around it. Sometimes I try to be sneaky by skipping the scene and going on to the next chapter, but it will just show me a few minutes and freeze up again.

It happened to me 3 weeks ago when watching a dvd I had, but I dismissed it because the dvd was used. But now I rented several DVDs and its happened in every case. So I cant dismiss it anymore.

Whats the problem? What can I do?

1- Ive already tried cleaning it.
2- Its the dvd that came with the PC, a 2yr+ old HP Pav.

Thanks

You can try different DVD software, and you can make sure your DVD is running in DMA mode, and not PIO.

i've seen the same problem when a customer had bad RAM, so you might wanna check into that

Oh no I dont mess around with dvd software. The dvd drive has the same stuff it came with. Basically when theres a problem, I use the HP Pavillions PC reinitialization CDs. I call HP to walk me through the process and everything.

The only changes that PC has gone through since I bought it are 1) age, 2) nifty card- a 9600pro, and 3) 512 RAM instead of the 126RAM it came with.

Its not the RAM though because the DVD drive worked well after those changes were made.

Note: After I cleaned the drive and posted here, I shut the PC down and waited for it to get cold. My DVD drive worked after that. Although there was some skipping. My PC is usually on 10-15+hrs daily.

Could it have been the heat?
Could it have taken a while for the drive cleaning to take effect?
Could it be age? That pc is 3yrs old and it gets heavy use.... nothing lasts forever...

Edit:
This is the error message I get when it happens:
Windvd has caused an error in MFC42.DLL
Windvd will now close

Back