DVD Burner

Hawkeye

Weaksauce
I'm looking to get a DVD burner to back up some all the important stuff on my computer. My hard drive is slowing up and it's because I have too much stored on it that I don't use. I want a burner that'll preserve all my data and works well with most brands of disks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, Hawk... I am not going to offer any recomendations, because I don't have one myself.

I have been looking at a few that I feel have good price/performance, and compatible.

The LG Drives look pretty nice, and reasonable cost ($170 CAN).

Let me know what you come up with... god knows, that is my next upgrade.

-Skystalker

Lite-On always makes fine products. But you can't go wrong with a Plextor. Although they are somewhat overpriced.

staples has an iomagic 8x for 89.94 no rebates. You can get Office Depot to price match and get a $30 and a $20 MIR.

Try to find the shrink wrapped boxes vs the ones sealed with a sticker. (optorite and btc)

There is a thread in the hot deals forum about it.

Icewindius.. no picture of the case in this thread?
:rolleyes:

I'm curious.. what's your justification for Plextor being the best? Surely you don't believe that just because Plextors are so damn expensive?

You want a burner that will preserve your data and work with a wide range of media? Well my friend, the NEC-2500A by NEC is what you want. It can write to so many different brands of media, it is sick. And the quality at which it writes is also amazing. Check out the pages I linked, see if it doesn't sell you. Oh and it is extremely fast for the money too, a whopping $104 - $110 from Newegg (depending on if you want beige or black bezel).

The Plextor seems too exspensive when compared to the competition. Right now I'm leaning towards the Lite-On because of their strong reputation with drives. However, that NEC got a great review from CDFreaks.com. That LG drive also looks pretty nice too except that I've never heard of them.

When I was 1st going to build a system I was going to go with that lite-on because of their rep and it was only like 100 bucks. But now that NEC has cought my eye. Anyone else have good experience with them?

Used an NEC-1300A for a month or so. Nice drive. Go for the 2500, as it's write quality across various DVD blanks is second to none.

I got it for their solid reliability, quiet operation and very fast burn speeds. I'll spend a bit more on a drive I know is good and proven itself and a company I simply trust more. But that just me.

Well, has anyone used that LG GSA-4081B? That is really catching my attention now that I look at it on NewEgg. Or can anyone direct me towards reviews/user ratings on it other than NewEgg? The Lite-On and NEC still also look great but the LG burner got great user reviews on NewEgg, but that was just a few people.

The Lite-On LDW-811S seems to have compatibility issues with certain brands of disks. I heard the LG brand is only good if you care about DVD-RAM burning. So I think I'll go and buy the NEC ND-2500A. It seems to have the best writing quality and decent burning speeds. Also it looks compatible with almost all brands of disks.

Well, the Lite-On seems the best value if I get the right disks. Where can I find out which brand of disks works best with this burner?

Now I checked that www.dvdrhelp.com and the NEC had the highest rating. I guess I'll have to face that fact that none are perfect. The NEC is the cheapest though so I think I'll go purchase that.

Back