DVD Burner...Is There a Need For Other Opticals?

maximo

n00b
I'm building a system for a friend that wants to know if he's putting a Plextor 708A in the system does he really need another DVD ROM, CD/RW? He says he only rips aout 2 cd's a month presently so he thinks he doesnt need that much burn power. What opinions can you guys give me?

Unless he does a lot of direct copying of discs, He could do without a second drive. I have a LiteOn DVD burner in my main system, and that's all I need.

totally in support of one drive. makes it simpler and cheaper as well. there is no real need for another especially if he only burns a few cds a month.

the only benefit of having two drives, a dvd-rw and a cd-rw is that the dvd-rw's haven't gotten anywhere near the speed of a cd-rw at this point in time. some people are just lazy and don't want to wait the time.

i'm gonna get a dvd-rw when they've maxed out the speed at which they'll be able to burn. whatever that may be

Originally posted by HRslammR
the only benefit of having two drives, a dvd-rw and a cd-rw is that the dvd-rw's haven't gotten anywhere near the speed of a cd-rw at this point in time. some people are just lazy and don't want to wait the time.

i'm gonna get a dvd-rw when they've maxed out the speed at which they'll be able to burn. whatever that may be

That's why I got the LiteOn. It's dual format, but burns CD-Rs at 40x and CD-RWs at 24x.

Originally posted by djnes
That's why I got the LiteOn. It's dual format, but burns CD-Rs at 40x and CD-RWs at 24x.

yeah seriously. but even so, who cares if you have to wait another 2 minutes to burn a cd. there are very few situations where it will be important.

Originally posted by RemisGodly
yeah seriously. but even so, who cares if you have to wait another 2 minutes to burn a cd. there are very few situations where it will be important.

And one of those situations is when you need a file to save the universe from imploding and you only have 1 min to get it.

Unnecessary, unless he plans on ripping a lot of DVDs. I've found that the 708A doesn't like to rip over 2x (DVD), even after trying to disable to 2x default (doesn't seem to work all the time).

Hmmmmmm I guess technically no need for more than just the DVD-burner. I bought my CD-RW when I paid $250 for my DVD burner, but with dvd burners at $100 and less I don't know if there is much of a point.

CD-RW is typically going to rip cd's and burn them quicker but if you don't mind a couple extra minutes then don't worry about it.

Your friend only needs a DVD burner.

Originally posted by Zuht
Unnecessary, unless he plans on ripping a lot of DVDs. I've found that the 708A doesn't like to rip over 2x (DVD), even after trying to disable to 2x default (doesn't seem to work all the time).

That's simply not true. The 708A rips at top speeds, up to 12x on a single layer and a little slower on double layer (thinking up to 9x) pressed DVDs. The only time you would have it rip at 2x is you didn't properly disable quiet operation or the disc is dirty/problematic and the Plex slows down to read it. But for the vast majority of discs the Plex 708S will rip much faster than 2x (even recordable DVDs rip at up to 6x). If yours isn't it's either defective, you need to fix a problem, or stop ripping scratched/dirty discs. I've ripped hundreds of DVDs and only a handful have ever locked down at 2x.

Back on topic, one DVD burner is pretty much all you need unless you're doing some exotic stuff. Plex 708A is the best and he'll be very satisfied.

I tend to disagree a bit with the posts above.I'd suggest your friend get a dedicated CD-burner like the Lite-On 52327S if he's going to be burning a lot of CDs too, as the 52327S is much better than the PX708A on CD burn quality.

Originally posted by TechHead
I tend to disagree a bit with the posts above.I'd suggest your friend get a dedicated CD-burner like the Lite-On 52327S if he's going to be burning a lot of CDs too, as the 52327S is much better than the PX708A on CD burn quality.

This is based on???

tend to disagree a bit with the posts above.I'd suggest your friend get a dedicated CD-burner like the Lite-On 52327S if he's going to be burning a lot of CDs too, as the 52327S is much better than the PX708A on CD burn quality

WTF you smoking man, the 708A does regular CD's just fine, i've had no problems with mine. How bout some info to back that claim up?

club.cdfreaks.com -> media test forum->CDR/RW media tests. Check the error rates on good media, and the media compatibility of the 52327S and the 708A.Both have excellent burn quality, but the dedicated CD burner will always have the edge.

That's just silly. Use top flight media and burn slow if you're worried about errors - the Plex 708A error rate is inconsequential.

^^Yep, but what if you want to burn with screwy media at 52X? The Lite-On gives you better results with that.

Well, the Plex doesn't burn at 52x anyway, it's 40x max and frankly if you can afford a 708a, you can afford top quality media. The only reason to get the lite-on is price from what I can tell and then you would typically expect lite-on buyers to use it with poorer media that can be readily had at a reduced price so I think that both drives are well tuned to their markets.

edit: oh the Hollywood+, brings back college memories :)

Back