DVD/Blu-ray Ripping Machine

TypeRazor

Gawd
Between the 2 drives in my workstation they have seen over 600 disks go through them in the last 2 months and are starting to make noise. This process also is rather time consuming to say the least.

I propose to you, a DVD/Blu-ray ripping machine build consisting of the following:
Case
PSU
6 DVD/Blu-ray drives (might hold off on blu-ray until they come down to ~$50)
Port Multiplier
PSU start button (boot without a motherboard)

The idea is to run them into 2 eSATA connection then route that to the back of my workstation sitting next to it.
Is this feasible to do since each drive only uses about 20MB/s and I will separate the targets onto 3 different drives just incase.

Or if you have a better solution let me know!
Thanks

Last edited:
I hate to double post/bump but would really like to know what others think about it, time is a factor now.

well the lite-on drives are down to $60 so it might be worth it... you would need to either get a PSU designed for this, or get something that ties the green wire on the ATX connector to ground to turn on the PSU... 6 drives seems like a bit much, how about 3? or 4?

also how the $%^& did you go through 600 bd-disks in 2 months? thats at least 10/day and 15TB of data assuming 25gb disks, 30TB assuming 50gb disks

The DVD/Bluray was meant to mean either DVD or Bluray :)
60$ is not bad, but would I be shooting myself in the foot by buying 5 X2 speed drives when say 1 12X would blow them all out the water? (this is BD of course)

The special PSU start button is already in the budget, attaches to the PSU and front case button so I can start it without opening up and shorting.

The 600 is an estimate, that includes burning and ripping CD/DVD but would not be a regular thing. I was ripping my movies to storage server and burning DVDs of family pictures, movies, etc and backups of crucial data.

Im not sure how long it takes to rip CDs but I have over 1500 music CDs I want to put on harddisks so I can play them around the house not to mention close to 2000 movies, many being multiple disc sets.

anyDVDHD, movies range from 25-50GB in size so if you dont have much room you can use one of the many open source programs to convert it to MKV

bd-rom drive, anydvd hd > dump to BD protected ISO, or to a folder. you can stop here if you don't mind the space requirements (up to 50GB/disc), or you could do the following:

anydvdhd in the background > makemkv > remove unnecessary streams > single .MKV file ouput @ full quality > ripbot264 > compressed .MKV at varying quality (you can set quality or output file size).

memory requirement isn't too much. the following will become major ripping factors:

bd-rom drive speed (faster, the better)
CPU cores
CPU speed

OP: interesting idea. certainly wouldn't be hard to build, or very expensive, really.

I have actually been looking into doing this, but using slim opticals. You can get Meanwell PSU's that wouldn't require any special wiring since the drives only use 12v, right?

Back