Durn you google: Material is an ugly theme, and worse on Windows

pxc

Extremely [H]
As another pointless strategy decision, Google decided to get rid of the native look of Chrome and force the hideous Material theme on all Chrome and Chromium users, regardless of OS. Before you could disable the Material theme in flags, but that option was removed.

That pretty much did it for me. Not only is the theme ugly, it's also space inefficient. While the spaced out layouts might be a good decision for touch devices, that is only a tiny fraction of users of the desktop version.

I had been playing with Vivaldi for several months, but never got around to trying to make it work as a primary browser. Yesterday I finally just dumped Chrome for it. It's also based on the Chromium browser code (so Chrome extensions work, etc), but almost everything in it is customizable. Like FF, the UI is rendered in HTML/CSS and you can change almost anything on screen. A little CSS to get rid of what I didn't want to see (trash can, home button, RW/FF buttons), and to slightly resize and reposition the tabs, and it's glorious or at least not annoying.

I don't know what you're talking about. Chrome looks the same it has for a couple years to me.

Nope, nothing looks different. Wife verified. Don't argue with her.

No difference noticed here either. Been using Chrome for years. Adjust sensitivity as required.

lol, Google made numerous changes to make Chrome look like the Material Design theme on Android, including changing the spacing to make it touch friendlier, changing default fonts, and virtually all icons. This is not a small change that you have to squint to see.

lol

I guess this is why Google makes these kinds of annoying changes... people can't see literally a hundred changes a few inches in front of their noses.

Another thread where people started to complain about it several months ago: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/ITwr6ppAvqk

Another thread where people started to complain about it several months ago: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/ITwr6ppAvqk

What I gather is that some people just feel the need to dig through shit looking for something to complain about. If I ever saw a non-issue this is it. Minor changes to the task bar that are barely noticeable unless doing a side by side screenshot? No cares given here. It doesn't effect my screen real estate or productivity.

Ain't nobody forcing you to use that rather lame ass browser in the first place. ;)

I'm not seeing a real problem, other than you don't approve of the change... Are there any real problems caused by this change?

What I gather is that some people just feel the need to dig through shit looking for something to complain about. If I ever saw a non-issue this is it. Minor changes to the task bar that are barely noticeable unless doing a side by side screenshot? No cares given here. It doesn't effect my screen real estate or productivity.

That's how I look at it too.

"OH MA GAWDZ! The settings menu is now 3 dots instead of 3 horizontal lines. Oh the HORROR! I can't stand the white space! Life will end as we know it! I'm going to another browser if this doesn't change!"

I knew the change was coming. I remember thinking "time to see what the difference's are". I remember going...oh it's 3 dots. And's it's flat on the tabs. Then I started browsing the Internet and never gave it another thought.

Back