durable mp3 player

holinger

Limp Gawd
Hi, Recently, my ipod touch started to crap out on me ( the headphone jack only works out of one ear) so i started just using it in my car where it hooks up through the charger thing. I started leaving it in my car some and now, from getting hot im guessing, i have a horizontal grey line of dead pixels running through my screen along with a few other smaller horizontal grey lines.... This doesn't surprise me too much because its not exactly a durable player. ANYWAYS

I'm looking for a mp3 player that is durable enough to leave in my car.... prefered features are easy to use buttons ( so i can change the song while driving without any problems...the ipod touch isn't exactly ideal) , something I can leave in my car where it will get hot/cold, and a decent sized screen that i can read which song is playing, ect. Thanks.

Grab a Zune, one of the original 30GB models, those things are built tough and can take a lot, with controls that are fairly simple to use (and large enough to hit in a mobile situation).

There are MP3 players that plugs into your lighter socket and the ones i've seen also comes with remotes.

I've always wondered why do that with something within arms reach until you mentioned the buttons. I suppose that with a remote you can raise the controls to eye level and don't have to look down while driving.

My monochrome 40GB 4G ipod lasted through rough times in Iraq and still works great. It has a hard drive and I can't tell you how many times I jumped out of my forklift pulling my ipod out behind me and watched it crash to the gravel below.

Seriously any electronics should be able to be left in a car and not have any problems. WTF? return that piece of crap!

i dont have a warranty anymore :( otherwise I would... I wonder if a ipod video is stronger than a original zune? not necessarily in impact but temperatures and stuff? I do already have a transmitter for an ipod so i guess if the normal ipods can take it i should go with them

To be honest, if you live in an area or climate where the inside temps of your vehicle reaches extreme heights (like 120+ which is quite easy to do; here in Vegas they'll get well into the 180+ range in 5-10 mins easily), then you should seriously consider taking the damned hardware with you when you get outta the vehicle. :D

Sorry, can't offer much better advice. If it's going to get hot as hell in the car, take the stuff out, it's really that simple. It's costing you money, take it with you if at all possible, that's my advice.

I see people here in Vegas leave things like GPS units in direct sunlight inside a closed vehicle in the middle of summer and then they wonder why the damned things don't work well or the typical "I just bought it last week..." excuse.

If you read the specs and warnings that come with most modern electronics, they will always tell you there's a given operating range and the inside of a car in summertime most anywhere isn't going to fit inside those ranges. In direct sunlight on a sunny day in the middle of summer here in Vegas inside a locked car with no ventilation? The surface of that device alone will hit 200+ in 10-15 mins, soooo... now a GPS device might have a higher tolerance as they are designed to be mounted in a visible spot in a vehicle.

But an iPod/Zune/media player? Forget it... 120 degrees F tops, more often than not, and that's meaning just when you're moving from one environment to another, it doesn't mean sustained direct exposure.

well, i live in south dakota so it doesnt get that extreme, and i didn't say I was looking for a top of the line main player.... i'll have another mp3 player for portable and other use.... im just looking for a high capacity player to keep in my car thats easy to use... instead of making cds to listen to twice before i'm sick of them. . theres gotta be something out there that holds up decent.

And I'll stick with the Zune recommendation, one of the older models would fill that bill just fine, with 30GB of storage - the newer ones are just as tough and come in 80 and now 120GB. You can typically find the 30GB Zunes for around $100 - ain't no other 30GB portable media players out there in that range, and it's not because they're not good products. It's just the old supply/demand thing at work: most people think mp3 and iPods come to mind, even in spite of the Zunes having better audio quality and some other goodies as well.

For ~$100, you can't go wrong...

Zune as well; I live in MA. We've had some hot summer days and sub-zero nights and the thing as been a tank,

The most durable player I had was the iRiver iHP140. It lasted me 6 - 7 years until I finally replaced it with a Cowon S9 32GB. Adequate for my needs, but what I really want is a Flash based player with at least 4x the internal memory. Maybe in a few years...

Sansa clip: it was 10 bucks refurb'ed. Dropped it about a dozen times so far still works perfect.

Back