Dungeons and Dragons Online Stormreach - RETAIL

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone found it on a retail shelf yet?

Anyone who has, installed it, and played it care to comment?

I have looked into my crystal ball and seen the future - It will fail unless they package the box with a Blizzard sticker on it!

I have spoken!

Json23 said:
I have looked into my crystal ball and seen the future - It will fail unless they package the box with a Blizzard sticker on it!

I have spoken!

how do you figure. It is not ment to be a wow killer, never was it has a completly different rule set. in fact i doubt many wow lovers will switch because it is so different, you can go back to your wow cave now

Im playing the retail (continued from the beta) and there are ALOT of people playing the game... I was suprised I thought it would be empty in the beginning but not at all. One thing that I like is that most poeple who are playing are respectful and D&D fans. Plus many of them know that the game is about the adventure and quests, not being uber and high level...

One idiot on the forums started a rant that he already hit lvl 10 before going live and everyone tore into him... shows that WoW Babies wont be tolerated in the community. Me Likes! :D

|MaguS| said:
Im playing the retail (continued from the beta) and there are ALOT of people playing the game... I was suprised I thought it would be empty in the beginning but not at all. One thing that I like is that most poeple who are playing are respectful and D&D fans. Plus many of them know that the game is about the adventure and quests, not being uber and high level...

One idiot on the forums started a rant that he already hit lvl 10 before going live and everyone tore into him... shows that WoW Babies wont be tolerated in the community. Me Likes! :D

I doubt the game will do very well if they don't support both questers and grinders. I personally like to do a little bit of both in the games I've played. I don't think I would have enjoyed them if they were slanted more one way or the other.

well for emphasis on quests and the experience of playing the game, WoW also has RP servers for people who like to role play. its jus that most casual players prefer a PVP server without the RP stuff

They game in some aspects is like WoW i guess. But when you have two games that take place is the same time period i guess it will be some what the same. Anyways i played DDO a little bit in the beta and gotta say that i did like it. But i will not leave WoW to go play it just yet. There are to many things in WoW that i havent seen yet. And of course there are some things in DDO that i havent seen considering the short time of the beta and me being busy that time period. I will probably buy DDO eventually but no where in the near future.

I have been playing Evercrack and Evercrack2 forever. The appeal is that I can solo or group up depending on what I am feeling like at the time. How group oriented is DDO so far. Can the Solo player complete quests or is it more like the old D&D and you must have a group? Any info is appreciated.

For DDO you must have a group. Doing quests alone means retrying alot and taking alot of xp Debt. But this is how D&D is, Its ment for group play. It's not hard at all to find a group (you can find one in a matter of mins) and many people are willing to group just for a single quest so theres no worry for commitment.

Maximus825, Then you don't know the power of the casual gamer. Why do you think WoW and EQ2 are so big, because there are FAR more casual gamers then there are grinders. Grinders are the minority and when you focus majority of the gameplay around them you can succeed. I never mentioned RP, actually from what I have seen there aren't any RPers in DDO since the game supports Mic right out of the box. This feature alone makes it so great, I can now warn my party members of a trap instead of having to stop and type out the warning.

There is no PVP currently since there focus was making the best possible COOP oriented gameplay but they will implement it later after more testing. One thing is for sure, all classes are pretty balanced. No class feels gimped or weaker then they should, but then again you need to know what your class is capable of and not complain when your Rogue cant win in a H2H fight.

They also plan on releasing content patches regularly and up the lvls with them. Its currently said that in April they will increase the lvl cap to 12 and add more areas and quests.

how do you figure. It is not ment to be a wow killer, never was it has a completly different rule set. in fact i doubt many wow lovers will switch because it is so different, you can go back to your wow cave now

I don't play (or like) WoW... so I have no idea what you mean. I am just saying that all a game has to do is put a blizzard sticker on it and all of a sudden it sells an ass load of products.

As a matter of fact, the ONLY game I like from Blizzard was Diablo. And that is it.

Json23 said:
As a matter of fact, the ONLY game I like from Blizzard was Diablo. And that is it.

Never ever let me hear you speak bad about Starcraft

|MaguS| said:
Maximus825, Then you don't know the power of the casual gamer. Why do you think WoW and EQ2 are so big, because there are FAR more casual gamers then there are grinders. Grinders are the minority and when you focus majority of the gameplay around them you can succeed. I never mentioned RP, actually from what I have seen there aren't any RPers in DDO since the game supports Mic right out of the box. This feature alone makes it so great, I can now warn my party members of a trap instead of having to stop and type out the warning.

I AM the casual gamer. But that's not what I meant. WoW and EQ2 both support grinders and questers. That's why they are doing so well. DDO needs to support BOTH if it is going to succeed.

ya i work at compusa and i put the game out on the shelfs....Looks like wow. Doesn't look like worth my time...or money

heelix said:
OK, a stupid n00b question - what the heck is a Grinder?

Someone that doesn't care about the content in the game. All they want to do is get as high of a level as possible and be powerful.

Alot of the positive things stated in this thread are accurate:

1. The mic/voice chat right out of the box works fantastic. It makes the grouping experience so much better. I would say in most full groups (6 characters) I have been in, 4 or 5 out of 6 have voice on. Alot of people won't who don't have mic's we at least ask that they turn on voice chat. It does diminish the RP element, but it cuts WAY down on the freak/jackass group partner who just tries to mooch XP.

2. It is a GROUP game and it is pretty well balanced. It's never taken longer than 15 minutes to get a group. The downfall of this in the future will be as new players come into the game, they are going to be screwed trying to get out of n00bville unless there are alot of alts. In otherwords, I feel if you don't start a character within 5 or 6 mos from release it will be harder to finish dungeon crawls.

3. The armor/weapon styles are diverse and the way the loot is divied out works great. Everyone gets good loot during a dungeon crawl. No more raids for hours on end with the "hope" of getting something good.

The game is not perfect, but it does alot right. It's a niche game and if you accept and like what it is, it's a good buy.

This game will bomb just as hard as Matrix Online and Asheron's Call 2 did. Almost every MMORPG game seems nifty at first and DDO sells just for the name alone (just like Matrix Online did for Matrix fans), but DDO just has too much stuff going against it, including an inexplicable 15$ a month charge for a fully instanced game when Guild Wars costs nothing. DDO isn't a true MMORPG yet charges a true MMORPG fee, and there are major fundamental flaws which will stop it from being successful. That there is very little buzz about this game on the more popular MMORPG community boards about the release (most buzz died out once beta info got leaked) is a very bad sign.

I for one am just enthralled with DDO. I can't get enough. It reminds me a lot of Neverwinter Nights. I have been on every night this week for about 4 hours at a time and I have had no problems getting into groups. I absolutely love how each item looks different visually. One long sword looks different then another or how the one splint mail looks different than the next. Just wonderful.

I can see how GW instances can be compared to DDO's, but if I remember correctly the point of GW is to level up fast, find spells and items and the go war with other guilds. I mean can you not just start a character at max level in GW?! I like how in DDO you have to work for you level and to me each level, each rank has meaning. You have to make choices of skill and feats that will stay with your character. I am not big on PvP so that may be why I didn't get too much into GW. But, to each his/her own.

Maybe it will die out, maybe not. Time will tell. But I can tell you that I will definitely be happy to spend my $15.00 on it and enjoy every minute of it!

-Toaster

Toaster said:
I mean can you not just start a character at max level in GW?!

well, you can start a PVP only char at level 20(max), but that char can access ONLY pvp areas. Roleplay/questing chars start at 1 and must grind/level/quest etc.

One of the things I like about MMORPGS is how wherever you go theres just groups of real people doing stuff, i.e. persistant world. If i'm paying monthly i want this at least. The instanced idea of GW is great (i actively play GW) but i wouldn't pay a fee for a souped up 8 player game.

And what happened to $10/$12 a month games :(

Firebot said:
This game will bomb just as hard as Matrix Online and Asheron's Call 2 did. Almost every MMORPG game seems nifty at first and DDO sells just for the name alone (just like Matrix Online did for Matrix fans), but DDO just has too much stuff going against it, including an inexplicable 15$ a month charge for a fully instanced game when Guild Wars costs nothing. DDO isn't a true MMORPG yet charges a true MMORPG fee, and there are major fundamental flaws which will stop it from being successful. That there is very little buzz about this game on the more popular MMORPG community boards about the release (most buzz died out once beta info got leaked) is a very bad sign.

The only way they can justify the cost is content additions, and a lot of it and rapidly. I am waiting to see what happens on this front. If it wasn't for the fact that you have to buy the game AND pay the monthly subscription, dipping your toe in these waters has lots of potential to be a waste of time and money.

Well, my friends (the same ones who got me hooked on warcrack) love it to death. I'd be playing it yesterday, except for the extreme ineptitude of both EB and UPS. Can't believe they shipped it signature required, stupid retards. Anyway, i am really looking forward to playing this game. Heh, i've been playing D&D since the basic set, and actually owned a copy of the chainmail rules (precursor to D&D) at one time. :p

Back