Dual Opterom SLI 6800ultras

Venturi

Limp Gawd
Dual evga 6800ultra SLI (copper heatsinks)
Dual Opteron 250
Tyan s2895 with sata and scsi
16 GB of RAM ecc reg
(4) sata Hitachi Deskstar 400GB (1.6 terabytes raid 0)
Samsung 243t 24" lcd DVI

Windows Enterprise Server 2003 64bit RC1

Here are some pics:

please enjoy

VENTURI

Who paid for it?
Just slightly, maybe a little, kinda.....overkill?

BENCH IT!

I paid for it, but I use it for medical imaging as well as games.

It's rock stable, TYAN did a grat job on the motherboard.

VENTURI

That system makes me so happy I could cry - except for the disk storage system. Please don't run a 4-way raid-0 array like that - move to a 3ware card and run raid5. Remember, if even one disk dies in this configuration, you lose ALL your data. :(

Nice other than that, though.

unhappy_mage said:
That system makes me so happy I could cry - except for the disk storage system. Please don't run a 4-way raid-0 array like that - move to a 3ware card and run raid5. Remember, if even one disk dies in this configuration, you lose ALL your data. :(

Yea not mention that those Hitachi Deskstar are also known as aka Deathstar's. Putting 4 of those in a raid 0 isnt to wise. Better for you to know this now instead of 1 terabyte later ya know ;)

DemonDiablo said:
Yea not mention that those Hitachi Deskstar are also known as aka Deathstar's. Putting 4 of those in a raid 0 isnt to wise. Better for you to know this now instead of 1 terabyte later ya know ;)

You forgot that a different R&D worked on the new drives. The new drives are in a whole new class of their own when compared to the old ones.
Please step off the misinformed bandwagon.

the hitachi version the the "deathstar" are good....its the OLD ones that are bad...(i forgot who made them that hitachi bought out)

saw this on another forum and someone here posted a link to it...........

shure ya dont wanna send one of those 6800Us my way since SLI seems like overkill in this situation since you only game accasionally :p come on you know you want to.

/me stares at computer with a "you suck" look on my face

The hitachi drives are the SATA 2 variety. I have "writes confirmed" and I have not any any issues with the drives. Being a cautious fellow, I did make a full self restoring DL DVD back up of the load. Personal docs are saved to a Buffalo NFS on my house network - just in case.

The TYAN board has been flawless, bios is great... my hat is off to the boys at TYAN.

Can't wait to put dual cores on the mobo.... drool!

MeanieMan said:
You forgot that a different R&D worked on the new drives. The new drives are in a whole new class of their own when compared to the old ones.
Please step off the misinformed bandwagon.

Hmmm considering he didnt say which generation of hitachi drives they were one can only assume.

EDIT: oh on another note I know they have a new R&D department still havent heard much of anything good out of it though. So yea im gonna stay on my bandwagon over here since as its the one that has long lasting stability ;)

And compared to old ones...as the old saying goes, "when your at the bottom there is only one way to go"

DemonDiablo said:
Hmmm considering he didnt say which generation of hitachi drives they were one can only assume.

He did say, hence the 400gb notation.

yes...they should have changed the name from "deskstar" to stop stupid rumors and myths like that....

Great computer. Nice hardware, nice case. Must really put out the heat. Have you thought about watercooling?

Where did you purchase that motherboard? I've been looking everywhere..

What got me was this:

venturi said:
16 GB of RAM ecc reg

faint... Man that is one HELL of a tax-write off if you use this sucker to occasionally work from home... LOL

:eek:

oh yeah... NICE SYSTEM!

What car do you drive? :p

cheers,

yass

That board offer any OC'ing functions such as modifying mem divider or HT?

meh...... Not impressive...... lol actualluy its very nice considering it belongs to a single person and not a company... but....look at the link and stop being impressed....

So, exactly how much did this cost? (if you don't mind me asking of course)
seriously nice system man, I envy you

from his thread at another forum, he uses this computer for medical imaging.

I wouldnt consider it overkill after knowing that

however, he should start Folding for the [H]orde...we could use a fast, strong system like that ;)

rayman2k2 said:

He said that here as well, right under the first post that suggested it might be overkill.

Spike said:
meh...... Not impressive...... lol actualluy its very nice considering it belongs to a single person and not a company... but....look at the link and stop being impressed....

Yes because you know that Sun System is going to be running a lot of a video games.. idiot. Also compare the pricepoints.

he gets asked to Fold in almost every forum he goes too ;)

rayman2k2 said:

I wouldnt consider it overkill after knowing that

however, he should start Folding for the [H]orde...we could use a fast, strong system like that ;)

Jerunk said:
Yes because you know that Sun System is going to be running a lot of a video games.. idiot. Also compare the pricepoints.

Seconded.

God_Of_Death said:
he gets asked to Fold in almost every forum he goes too ;)

Maybe we should stop asking and just force him. :p
A pimped out rig complete with lights. Must get him all the nurses.

Answers.

1. I can't tell you how much it costs because it invites a 100 other questions.
2. I got the board from Tyan, it should be available in mid March.
3. I haven't tried FOLDING yet, but I will consider it.
4. I can't tell you the types of vehicles I drive, because it would invite speculation.
5. I use it for medical imaging software, games, and a curiousity to see what technology can do.
6. I have started to post benchmarks.
Doom 1600x1200 AA 4x Ultra settings timedemo demo1 use cache is approching the 100fps
3dmark -05 - the score is inconsistent and ranges from 9972 to 11,009 averaging about -10800.
3dMark does not take advantage of second cpu or the RAM

I'm trying to bench Chronicles of Riddick currently

Hope this helps.

VENTURI

Still need an answer on whether the board has OC'ing functions, maybe you missed it.

Thanks

Aww... I was just joking anyway. :D What one does with one's money, is nobody else's business. Personally, I'd rather see the money spent on an outrageously expensive and impractical computer system than snort up one's nose. ;)

I say impractical because a lot of my friends are involved in the medical profession, and most of them do not utilize windows platform for these sort of applications. Also know several dentists who has their own clinics, and they DO like to play with this sort of toys... :p Their profession also requires imagining, and often doesn't need something as hardcore as those offered by say the IBM Power series.

At any rate, the price isn't hard to figure out -- unless it was a sponsored system. I dunno, if I were to throw down this much money I probably would've gone a different route to satisfy my techo-lust... hehe But this system is very impressive -- although I'm mostly just impressed with 16gigs of error-checking RAM... lol considering most professional graphics workstations running on variants of Unix usually doesn't even come with that much ram... lol

cheers,

yass

venturi said:
Answers.

1. I can't tell you how much it costs because it invites a 100 other questions.
2. I got the board from Tyan, it should be available in mid March.
3. I haven't tried FOLDING yet, but I will consider it.
4. I can't tell you the types of vehicles I drive, because it would invite speculation.
5. I use it for medical imaging software, games, and a curiousity to see what technology can do.
6. I have started to post benchmarks.
Doom 1600x1200 AA 4x Ultra settings timedemo demo1 use cache is approching the 100fps
3dmark -05 - the score is inconsistent and ranges from 9972 to 11,009 averaging about -10800.
3dMark does not take advantage of second cpu or the RAM

I'm trying to bench Chronicles of Riddick currently

Hope this helps.

VENTURI

4b5eN+EE said:
the hitachi version the the "deathstar" are good....its the OLD ones that are bad...(i forgot who made them that hitachi bought out)

I wouldn't think Hitachi bought out IBM, cause that doesn't seem right.. but I do know I had an IBM model DeskStar (DeathStar) (40GB), and the damn thing did die on me...twice...Piece o' Shit.

Nice Rig btw :D Wish I had enough money to do that. But I am content with the one in my sig., :p

Vertigo Acid said:
IBM sold their storage business to Hitachi :)

Well then, there ya go. :)

Freaking drives...luckily its in my brothers computer now, as a temporary storage device :)

venturi said:
Answers.

3. I haven't tried FOLDING yet, but I will consider it

Hope this helps.

VENTURI

Remember, team 33. ;)

Alright, I'll go back to drooling now.

Sorry I had missed that question

yes, overclocking is supported but not as you are used to.

1. you can change the hypertransport bus from 600mhz all the way up to 1.4ghz.

2, you can change the amount of lanes to each device from 2 to 16

3. you can change the width, depth and speed of the memory interleave.

4. You can change the speed to the pci-express slots

6. You can change the speed that the 2 cpus talk to one another

7. You can use nTune to change 22 other speed parameters.

I would say that's a yes on the overclocking.

VENTURI

Back