Dual NIC config questions

Hades16x

2[H]4U
Ill keep it short for you, basically since I signed up for comcast small business internet, my WHS webpage has been nothing but problems. Behind my private IP(10.1.10.111), I cannot access my WHS via its webpage login. Yes, all ports are forwarded. Even with DMZ setup on it, when I try to connect to it internally, I get auto redirected to my SMC Gateways login(10.1.10.1).

I have 1 static IP to use. When I setup my WHS to use this IP(173.xxx.xxx.xx), everything works flawlessly, except for one thing....... internal network transfers.

My WHS is primary used for movies, streamed(sort-of) to the 2 HTPCs I have in the house. This is the most important feature of it. Coming in a close second is my school use for it. Usually when I have a project, instead of emailing it to myself, I upload it to my WHS.

I'd like to get both of these working. I've been googling for a while and I was thinking about picking up one of these. But while googling, I found a lot of people that had mass problems using dual nics on two default gateways.

Cliffs/Does this work:

NIC1:
IP: 173.xxx.xxx.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.252
Gateway 173.xxx.xxx.1
DNS1: 68.87.77.130
DNS2: 68.87.72.130

NIC2:
IP: 10.1.10.111
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.1.10.1
DNS1: 68.87.77.130
DNS2: 68.87.72.130

What am I missing? I feel like I'm missing a lot.

Thanks,
Michael

Change your internal IP scheme to something else that wont conflict with the SMB gateway

Could you expand a bit more? Is this using dual nic? or single? Is this an arbitrary internal IP scheme?

Don't use two default gateways. You should leave your default gateway as the external path to the Internet i.e. your router or firewall appliance. If your other hosts are in the same subnet as the internal card on the server it should keep all that traffic local. You don't send local traffic to a gateway. The switch handles that traffic internally using a MAC to IP translation table it retains locally.

Back