Dual monitors problem

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Linux assigns monitor 0 as the monitor connected to the HDMI port. The other monitor is connected to the DP port and is monitor 1. Nothing will change this, it's set in concrete as far as I can tell. If I could reverse it, it night solve my problem.

My problem is Linux insists on opening most windows on the secondary monitor no matter what. This is random and has something to do with the primary monitor being 4K and the secondary monitor being 1080p. The seconary monitor is indeed running at 1080p but the image is not, it's way bigger than it's supposed to be, I assume the image itself is 4K even tho the monitor is running at 1080p. I other words, the image is not 1080p, it's way too big.

Hope this makes sense, :( If I replace the 1080p monitor with another 4K monitor the proble would be solved but I'd rather not do this. :(

TIA

Thanks. Neither link seems to address the image size and screen resolution being out of wack but the more I learn to closer I come to an answer. The second monitor is used for Blue Iris and Blue Iris only. No program other that Brave browser which displays the web interface should ever be on this monitor. I may just have to use a separate computer to do the job. And it did occur to me that maybe the problem lies with the Nvidia card rather than with Linux.

Thanks. Neither link seems to address the image size and screen resolution being out of wack but the more I learn to closer I come to an answer. The second monitor is used for Blue Iris and Blue Iris only. No program other that Brave browser which displays the web interface should ever be on this monitor. I may just have to use a separate computer to do the job. And it did occur to me that maybe the problem lies with the Nvidia card rather than with Linux.
yeah ive heard linux and nvidia has become a bit of a PITA, the linux guy at work ended just going all amd. if we didnt just go on xmas break id ask him what hes using for his multi-mon setup for ya...
back to the monitors, the xrandr thing should allow you to config both monitors how you want, if your linux version supports it and you might need to do a bit of readin on it, idk how it works.

yeah ive heard linux and nvidia has become a bit of a PITA, the linux guy at work ended just going all amd. if we didnt just go on xmas break id ask him what hes using for his multi-mon setup for ya...
back to the monitors, the xrandr thing should allow you to config both monitors how you want, if your linux version supports it and you might need to do a bit of readin on it, idk how it works.

Thanks again. I believe my system does support xrandr, I get a readout when I run it. I'll explore it and if I can't make it work I'll switch to plan B, giving it its own computer.

I run mint and manjaro back and forth, I run 4 monitors, 3 in DP, 1 in HDMI, i can set any monitor to the primary, and games and everything opens on them every time, and other apps open on their respective monitors I last closed them on.

I do run an AMD RX6800 though, so this could either be an application issue, or an NVIDIA linux driver issue.

Nvidia Linux user under X11 here, I don't have this problem. Having said that, KDE allows you to set apps to open on any monitor, screen position, size, and even any virtual workspace you like.

Under Wayland window placement can be an issue, hopefully it's an issue they resolve soon as I'm sticking with X11 until such time as it's fully resolved.

The seconary monitor is indeed running at 1080p but the image is not, it's way bigger than it's supposed to be, I assume the image itself is 4K even tho the monitor is running at 1080p. I other words, the image is not 1080p, it's way too big.
This is a problem inherent to X11, as X11 see's both displays as one single large screen with boarders defined using viewportin and viewportout. Assuming you're still running Linux Mint, it's a problem you're not going to be able to resolve, as Cinnamon doesn't support Wayland. Wayland can handle mixed resolutions/scaling, X11 essentially cannot.

Nvidia Linux user under X11 here, I don't have this problem. Having said that, KDE allows you to set apps to open on any monitor, screen position, size, and even any virtual workspace you like.

Under Wayland window placement can be an issue, hopefully it's an issue they resolve soon as I'm sticking with X11 until such time as it's fully resolved.

This is a problem inherent to X11, as X11 see's both displays as one single large screen with boarders defined using viewportin and viewportout. Assuming you're still running Linux Mint, it's a problem you're not going to be able to resolve, as Cinnamon doesn't support Wayland. Wayland can handle mixed resolutions/scaling, X11 essentially cannot.

I ended up using a second workspace for a second monitor, It's not ideal and it has it's own issues like if I have a web page open on the second workspace and click on a link in the first workspace it will switch to the second workspace and open the website on the browser instance already open. I can fix this by always keeping a browser open and minimized on the first workspace but I forget to do this as often as I don't. It's not ideal but it's way better than the dual monitor problem.

Edited to correct a brain fart.

I ended up using a second workspace for a second monitor, It's not ideal and it has it's own issues like if I have a web page open on the second workspace and click on a link in the first workspace it will switch to the second workspace and open the website on the browser instance already open. I can fix this by always keeping a browser open and minimized on the first workspace but I forget to do this as often as I don't. It's not ideal but it's way better than the dual monitor problem.

Edited to correct a brain fart.
I actually prefer my applications limited to their own virtual workspaces like that. Using Input Remapper, I have my two side mouse buttons mapped to switch between virtual workspaces. Works a treat, improves my workflow immensely.

EDIT: Silly wording.

Last edited:
Back