Dual linking PSUs for SFF SLI

Mlongrie

n00b
I'm planning my build and I'm considering using a In Win BK644 case for a mATX based build. The case can fit two Silverstone 450w SFX PSUs with a modification. I've never dual linked PSU's before.

The SIlverstone SFX 450w has a 36amp 12v single rail. I'm uncertain of how to connect the components.

I want to fit as much GPU into the case as I possibly can. I think GTX 580s might be to long. I might look at a AMD solution, but I've been so disappointed with the driver support the last time I used a Radeon. I haven't been able to find specific information about how long a GPU is possible for the In Win BK644, but I suspect 10" or slightly over is going to be the maximum.

PSU #1: CPU (sandy bridge) 6pin (maybe 8) connector and GPU 1

PSU #2: GPU 2, MB 24pin, HDD, SSD and fans.

What I'm uncertain about is dividing the CPU connector and the 24pin connector between two different PSU's. I know its possible to parallel PSUs, but I'm hoping that running them independent is possible, to keep things simple. Can I just put 2 high end GPUs on a 32amp 12v? and the rest on the other PSU.

Until recently I'd been focused on ITX builds, but then I saw this In Win case thats slightly larger that a SG07, so I don't know much about mATX motherboards. Any motherboard suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

That case looks as if heat might be a bit of an issue. Can I suggest something like a Jeantech MicroTitan instead? I have two and they're lovely.

Alternatively, consider putting a supplementary 300W PSU for the graphics cards in the 5.25" bay and having an external DVD drive - how often do you use one anyway?

That's a good case, but it has a larger footprint and I'm looking to make a really small gaming rig. I was planning on putting a GTX 590 into a SG07 until I saw this little tower which is only slightly larger overall, space is a premium for me.

I'm intending to cut out the drive storage area at the bottom of the InWin and installed a second 450w PSU, I'll flip the GPUs over and cut holes in the bottom of the case and install some feet. I also intend on cutting out the side panel near the GPUs, and installing some modders mesh to allow the GPUs to pull air from outside the case. I may cut a blowhole at the top and also install a inlet fan near the front of the case, possibly cutting the front face at the bottom or top and putting some mesh there to allow air to be pulled into a fan.

I completely agree with not needing a DVD internally and I've been planning on getting a external for the occasional use, and just leaving it in a desk drawer otherwise.

I'm hoping to squeeze a 2.5 SSD somewhere around that motherboard shroud the Inwin uses and then hopefully at least one 3.5 HDD somewhere near the top of the case.

Note that unless you get Version 2 of the PSU or mod the V1 to V2 (change a few caps to different values), you may end up getting "chirping" under load.

Back