Dual Channel...256x3?

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I have two Corsair XMS sticks of 256MB. I want to get a third but I dont want to hamper my memory bandwidth. I run in dual channel on an NF2 Ultra 400. Dual channel works great now but I don't know about when I put a third matching 256 or even 512 in there. What will happen to my bandwidth?

not too much

it will go out of dual channel, because, well, there is no tri channel yet. you might notice more difference from 1gb of ram than 2x256 in dual channel

You can run 3 sticks in dual channel and your mem bandwidth will stay the same

Falls Included said:
not too much

it will go out of dual channel, because, well, there is no tri channel yet. you might notice more difference from 1gb of ram than 2x256 in dual channel
I know there is no tri channel but I didn't know how the dual channel would be affected with 256 on one channel and 512 on the other.

It will still work fine. You can run all different sized dimms in all 3 slots and DC will still work normally

Spec3 said:
It will still work fine. You can run all different sized dimms in all 3 slots and DC will still work normally

No, that's not right either. The capacity of memory must be the same in each "channel". So, if the 2x256 are in one channel, and the 512 is in the other, it will still work in dual channel. You can't get 3x256 to run in dual channel.

Furthermore, as someone already pointed out, on an AMD system, dual channel makes very little difference. You'll see more of a gain in the fact you'll have a gig of memory.

djnes said:
No, that's not right either. The capacity of memory must be the same in each "channel". So, if the 2x256 are in one channel, and the 512 is in the other, it will still work in dual channel. You can't get 3x256 to run in dual channel.

Furthermore, as someone already pointed out, on an AMD system, dual channel makes very little difference. You'll see more of a gain in the fact you'll have a gig of memory.

I have 3x256 in my dfi infinity, and i think my could be in dual channel.

cpu-z.jpg

I don't know if cpu-z is saying it's in dual channel or my mobo supports it.

But anyway, my 768 (not dual?) should run faster than 2x256 in dual, because its AMD right? or should I take out a stick?

djnes said:

Now this is expactly the information that I was looking for. Thanks.

Back