DRM, SecuRom question

boxterduke

Gawd
Hey guys, I never still bought a game that has securom but FarCry2 and a couple other games seem interesting.

Now if I buy them over Steam, would they have securom as well?
I'm worried about the install limit as well as any interference with any other software I have on my PC.

Thank you

Hey guys, I never still bought a game that has securom but FarCry2 and a couple other games seem interesting.

I'm worried about the install limit as well as any interference with any other software I have on my PC.

Thank you

As far as I know, Steam does not include Secu-shit.

I could be very wrong. Anyone else confirm?

Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother. All I'm doing is encouraging people to be lazy. Or perhaps I hate misinformation even more.
Look at the details: 3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit
http://store.steampowered.com/app/19900/
Thanks a bunch, no FarCry/Crysis or any other secuCrap games for me.
I'm taking a stand.
Although I like how Bioshock does not have it anymore.

Thanks again for the link

agreed, I bought retail Far Cry 2 and promised myself Ill never buy or play another EA game until this garbage is removed. Its bad enough activating my operating system but a game? give me a break.

Thank you

Yes, they will have SecuROM aswell. Buying through Steam, just makes it DRM over DRM.

agreed, I bought retail Far Cry 2 and promised myself Ill never buy or play another EA game until this garbage is removed. Its bad enough activating my operating system but a game? give me a break.

Far Cry 2 is not an EA Game and neither was it published by EA. It was developed and published by Ubisoft.

my bad that was spore.... regardless that scheme is awful and im not buying another game from anyone that deploys it.... I was thinking ahead to RA3 and NFS Undercover in terms of the EA comments. Regardless developers putting this into their games are losing supporters in a hurry.

my bad that was spore.... regardless that scheme is awful and im not buying another game from anyone that deploys it.... I was thinking ahead to RA3 and NFS Undercover in terms of the EA comments. Regardless developers putting this into their games are losing supporters in a hurry.

I'm in the same boat, since I already avoided Bioshock and WarHead for the same reasons. This scheme basically turns buying a game for $50, into "renting" a game for $50 and I really can't have that.

Currently, there are three publishers that push this scheme: 2K, EA and Ubisoft. 2K already confirmed that their next games will have similar DRM schemes as the one applied to Bioshock. That means Mafia 2 and Bioshock 2. EA seems to be applying it to all their current games, so it should be safe to assume that (unless something changes), they will apply it to future titles aswell. And Ubisoft seems to be on the same track.

I'm tired of the boycott. PC gaming does not need a boycott with the flak it's been receiving over the past couple years. PC gaming needs people to buy games. Boycotting will not do anything but tell EA/Ubisoft/etc that PC games aren't selling well which could lead to the platform not getting any decent titles at all. I don't know about you but playing FPS/Adventure/rts/strat on a console is second rate IMHO and not a future of gaming I look forward to.

I have a question for those of you boycotting. Are you sending EA/Ubisoft an email stating your opinion and why your not buying their games? If you are so defiant, this is the least you should do.

Buy the game to support the developer but email EA/Ubi stating their DRM sucks. They wouldn't know if you bought the game. :p

I'll keep my ears open for when they release the patches to remove activation limits, at which point I will buy my fave games from them, unfortunately for them they will be bargin shelf by that point and only cost £10.

Until then :rolleyes:

Look at all you guys. Taking a stand for video games. That's so commendable...

Look. It's one thing not buying a game because you want to play it on more than 5 computers and the activation limit won't let you do that. But let's be realistic here. Yes, I would prefer to play a game without DRM. But me wanting to play the game vs. not playing the game overrides that.

People talk about what's causing PC game sales to drop. The publishers say it is because of piracy. Then pissed off gamers fire back about how game X or Y sucks and that's why nobody bought it. OK. Whatever. But I will tell you that boycotting games because it has what is essentially the same shit that's been done for years and years isn't helping the sales.

Can we honestly name a PC game released in the last year that hasn't had some form of DRM on it? Riddle me that. Then tell me you haven't played any of them.

Look at all you guys. Taking a stand for video games. That's so commendable...

Look. It's one thing not buying a game because you want to play it on more than 5 computers and the activation limit won't let you do that. But let's be realistic here. Yes, I would prefer to play a game without DRM. But me wanting to play the game vs. not playing the game overrides that.

People talk about what's causing PC game sales to drop. The publishers say it is because of piracy. Then pissed off gamers fire back about how game X or Y sucks and that's why nobody bought it. OK. Whatever. But I will tell you that boycotting games because it has what is essentially the same shit that's been done for years and years isn't helping the sales.

Can we honestly name a PC game released in the last year that hasn't had some form of DRM on it? Riddle me that. Then tell me you haven't played any of them.

Sins of a Solar Empire? Countless indie games? You had a good post going until the end there.

Don't you need to install Stardock's online client, Impulse, to update their games? Shouldn't that count as DRM?

DRM are forms of copy protection. CD keys. SecuROM. Starforce. Code wheels (though technically that wouldn't be digital). From what I understand of Impulse is that it works like Steam, minus the DRM.

DRM are forms of copy protection. CD keys. SecuROM. Starforce. Code wheels (though technically that wouldn't be digital). From what I understand of Impulse is that it works like Steam, minus the DRM.

Steam isn't a form of DRM? If it isn't then i think you missed this line earlier in the thread.

Buying through Steam, just makes it DRM over DRM.

I don't know what you're on but Stardock DOES use CD-keys, you just never really have to type it in your self since you're forced to DL them through Impulse.

I don't know what you're on but Stardock DOES use CD-keys, you just never really have to type it in your self since you're forced to DL them on Impulse.

Do they? I don't have Sins so I'm only speaking from seeing people say they don't use DRM.

Do they? I don't have Sins so I'm only speaking from seeing people say they don't use DRM.

I do have Sins but I can't remember exactly where but somewhere in impluse it will list what games you have and what the CD key is for them. Also I wouldn't consider a cd key a form of DRM.

I do have Sins but I can't remember exactly where but somewhere in impluse it will list what games you have and what the CD key is for them. Also I wouldn't consider a cd key a form of DRM.

You could look at it both ways. They are a form of anti-piracy measure, but they're not totally digital the way things like chkdsk and SecuROM are.

Sins of a Solar Empire? Countless indie games? You had a good post going until the end there.

Like others have posted, Sins of a Solar Empire does indeed have a form of DRM on it. And even then, indie games are indie games. To be completely honest, the only reason why they probably don't have DRM on them is because the dev probably can't afford the licensing fee.

What I was talking about was big releases, and when it comes to big releases, they pretty much all have DRM. But people like to pick their battles, I guess.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.png

If it wasn't for the bobblehead, I would've bought it through Steam.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.png

If it wasn't for the bobblehead, I would've bought it through Steam.

Riiight. Funny how the pirated versions of the games don't need a crack to run at all. They're simply unrar, mount, install, play. If it actually used SecuROM it would require a crack.

Like others have posted, Sins of a Solar Empire does indeed have a form of DRM on it. And even then, indie games are indie games. To be completely honest, the only reason why they probably don't have DRM on them is because the dev probably can't afford the licensing fee.

What I was talking about was big releases, and when it comes to big releases, they pretty much all have DRM. But people like to pick their battles, I guess.

You said any game, I responded. If you only meant big games you should have said big games, I'm not a mind reader. Blanket statements really suck because they're generally easily disproved.

I'm tired of the boycott. PC gaming does not need a boycott with the flak it's been receiving over the past couple years. PC gaming needs people to buy games. Boycotting will not do anything but tell EA/Ubisoft/etc that PC games aren't selling well which could lead to the platform not getting any decent titles at all.
Sorry no, a boycott is exactly what we need. Sadly it won't happen because there are too many people who are just unaware of the issue, and also too many people who just don't see it as an issue (which is unfortunate IMO).

Sorry no, a boycott is exactly what we need. Sadly it won't happen because there are too many people who are just unaware of the issue, and also too many people who just don't see it as an issue (which is unfortunate IMO).

A boycott is likely to send them away. Games cost tens of millions of dollars to make. If they lose a lot of money in one market they'll simply abandon it. Thats how business works. What needs to happen is to get people with half a brain to slap up the heads of these companies as well as their idiotic stock-holders and make them realize that piracy does NOT hurt them as much as the ESA, MPAA, and RIAA would like to make everyone think.

Well, this sucks big time. Fallout 3 Collector's Ed, wonderful SecuRom tells me I have some "emulation" software. So right now I have to email SecuRom for a fix. I had this wonderful problem with King's Bounty: The Legend too. I haven't gotten that one fixed either.

So right now I have roughly $100 dollars spent on two games that I can't play because of SecuRom.
Was SecuRom in Oblivion? I never had a problem with that game or either BioShock. Both paid retail too.

Well, I'm off to play WoW, no problem with SecuRom there. Just have to worry about gold phishers...

You said any game, I responded. If you only meant big games you should have said big games, I'm not a mind reader. Blanket statements really suck because they're generally easily disproved.

It wasn't really much of a blanket statement. I'm sorry if some game which people only buy 500 copies of a year doesn't have DRM, but come to think of it, board games don't have DRM either.

What I was trying to say is that virtually every game released now (as in, you can actually buy it in stores) has some sort of DRM on it. That's the point I was trying to make.

It wasn't really much of a blanket statement. I'm sorry if some game which people only buy 500 copies of a year doesn't have DRM, but come to think of it, board games don't have DRM either.

What I was trying to say is that virtually every game released now (as in, you can actually buy it in stores) has some sort of DRM on it. That's the point I was trying to make.

Fine, I'll concede on that point.

Well, this sucks big time. Fallout 3 Collector's Ed, wonderful SecuRom tells me I have some "emulation" software. So right now I have to email SecuRom for a fix. I had this wonderful problem with King's Bounty: The Legend too. I haven't gotten that one fixed either.

Same problem here as well, click the link in the error window and it brings you to a site to download a fix for it.

Same problem here as well, click the link in the error window and it brings you to a site to download a fix for it.

Guess this means its not possible to get chkdsk without SecuROM anymore. Hurray for Sony DADC for not giving publishers options.

Technically even checking if cd-rom is in drive is DRM.

But what people are opposing are limited amounts of activations that cannot be reinvoked.

And so far only game of that kind I bought was Sacred 2 becouse they clearly stated their policy that you get to run this on two computers but have to uninstall game from one of them to gain activation back before installing on third.

So far I have been able to avoid all of EA games but trouble will be when they release Dragon Age orgins.
I'm also interested in Mirror Edge but I'll eventually get this one on ps3 and definitly USED copy to make sure greedy EA bastards don't profit for this instalation limit bullshit.

I looked on Steam about Bioshock and it does not mention anything about securom but when I searched on the Internet, I found articles that still mention that Bioshock has securom.

Anyone know for sure if Bioshock has it or not?

Thanks

I looked on Steam about Bioshock and it does not mention anything about securom but when I searched on the Internet, I found articles that still mention that Bioshock has securom.

Anyone know for sure if Bioshock has it or not?

Thanks

It does have SecuROM and will always have it. It just doesn't enforce install limits anymore.

WTH, I just downloaded the Grid demo and it has securom on it. lol
These people are going to far to protect a freaking demo.
Needless to say it is off my pc.

Back