Dreamcast Controller Port issue.. F1 = fuse or resistor?

blade12

Limp Gawd
Hello! Still trying to get my Dreamcast to purr again with my old Shenmue!!

Issues+rant first:
First, I couldn't find the power cable so I ended up ordering some cheap made in China cord for it. I couldn't fit in the cord but after some fooling around with a pair of pliers, I was able to straighten out the head of the connector. Finally, I was able to get it in and start up my dreamcast... straight to the time/date menu

Then comes another problem... My controller was refusing to comply in the time/date menu. I tried every port, nothing!! I assumed that the controller was dead so I ordered a brand new controller (in its original box).. Again, nothing working on all 4 ports with new controller..

After some googling, I noticed that others had same problem, and all of them fixed it with the F1 fuse/resistor/whatever. Now the issue is this: how do I know if F1 is a fuse or resistor?? Before I open up my dreamcast, I need to know what to get from Radio-shack. If anyone has done this before or has an idea..

I am getting conflicting reports on this.. Some say F1 is a fuse while others say it is a resistor and others say it is a fusing resistor.. WTF??? Which is it? Some say say to get a 1/4 W resistor and not a 1/2 W resistor.

Here's what a bunch of websites link to: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062309

Does it matter if it is a resistor or fuse? It says "F1" so does that not mean Fuse 1?? I have a soldering iron and solder, just not sure whether to get that resistor or something else from radio shack..

thanks

Looks like they are using resistors with low wattage (1/4w) rating so it opens if there is to much current draw which in turn makes it act more like a fuse. The higher the wattage resistor the more current it can handle.

Do you have a meter you can measure in ohms to see if the F1 is actually open?

On a side note now i'm curious why people are't using a small fuse anyways like 500ma or so.

Looks like they are using resistors with low wattage (1/4w) rating so it opens if there is to much current draw which in turn makes it act more like a fuse. The higher the wattage resistor the more current it can handle.

Do you have a meter you can measure in ohms to see if the F1 is actually open?

On a side note now i'm curious why people are't using a small fuse anyways like 500ma or so.

I ended up buying the 10ohms 1/4W resistors.. Now comes the part of opening up my dreamcast and getting the soldering gun ready :p

I do have a multimeter btw. Not sure what you want me to do with the F1 though

Back