Double-grounding front USB?

evildre

[H]F Junkie
I built a computer for someone in a Thermaltake Xaser III case, model V1000A. The motherboard of choice was the MSI K7N2 Delta-L. This board does not have any Firewire headers, but it does have an extra USB header and the obligatory front-panel audio header.

Before powering the system on, I made sure I had everything plugged into the motherboard: all ribbon cables, front panel items, "front" USB and audio (they're on the top of the case), fan RPM sensors, etc. I ran Memtest86 v3.0 for about 4 days and there wasn't a single error. I loaded the OS and drivers, applied updates, and ran SiSoft Sandra burn-in loops for another day, which was fine. However, when I plugged anything into the USB ports on top of the case, nothing happened. The ports on the back worked, but not the ones on top.

I examined my connections, and they were all correct. I hadn't plugged the top USB wires in backwards; +5V, D-, D+, Ground. I noticed something strange, though. Normally, this is what a USB header would look like:
usb_normal.png

This, however, is what the Thermaltake case's USB header looked like:
usb_tt.png

Instead of the 5th pin being blank, there was a ground wire looping into it, complete with another pin that connected to the motherboard. Now, the motherboard header has 9 pins: 5 on the top row and 4 on the bottom, with the one in the lower-right corner being a key. Just out of curiosity, I unplugged the top USB ports' connectors and removed the looped-around ground wire from the connector, and then plugged the ports back into the mobo. The ports then proceeded to work flawlessly.

The only thing that I can think was wrong, was the fact that there were two ground wires. Is there such a thing as "double-grounding"? If so, is it bad, and why? I'm just curious ... I've never had this kind of thing happen to me before ...

i have the same thing in my raidmax, i just plugged the second ground into the blank pin on the jumper and it works just fine

Originally posted by Chroma
Clip the ground wire loop - i have that case.

That's pretty much what I did. I just wanted to know if grounding something twice is always something bad, or if it's bad just in this case.

Electrcity takes the shortest route to ground, thats why barns have metal lightning poles on them to keep from starting fiires, leave at least one ground. It should hurt anything by clipping that 2nd ground though.

The fifth wire is the cable screen ground wire.
Some mobo's have a header pin for this sheilding and some dont.

Luck..........:D

another for clip the extra off...tis what i did as well

Back