Double Dual Channel - will they fight?

xphantg0d

Gawd
I currently have 2x 512mb pc2700 ddr ram running in my computer at dual channel.
I was thinking about buying 2 more sticks of 512 and sticking them in there to also run at dual channel. Does the new ram also have to be pc2700? can it get pc3200? and if i can will it slow be slowed down by the pc2700?

Your memory will have to run as fast as the slowest stick, thus the pc3200 would have to run at pc2700 speed, however, you would still be in dual channel mode ! You may also have to bump the mem voltage up a bit to stabalize everything....pc2700 is still available and quite reasonable....check out mushkin, or whoever makes the Dimm's you currently have- for best compatability....good luck, twajetmech

How should I increase the voltage? I also want to double dual channel. I currently have 512 x 2 (pc 3700). I bought same exact sticks from same manufacturer. However,m when I install in slots 2 and 4, my games freeze. Ram sticks work fine independantly and also in dual channel mode but when all 4 slots are full I run into problems - HELP!!!

You'll have to go into the bios to bump the voltage up....press del or f1 when you first turn on the computer before it loads up windows, be careful, messing around with other bios settings is not for the inexperienced. :eek:

Back