DOUBLE DUAL CHANNEL (512x4)

kstevege

n00b
I have been running 2x512 dual channel nicely for over one year. I just bought another 2x512 for slots 2 & 4 for a total of 2 gig (4 x 512). I bought same brand and model (Samsung pc3700). Now each pair was certified dual channel. And each stick works well on its own and works well for dual channal paired by themselves (2 x 512) However, once I install all 4 sticks into the appropropraite slots, my games freeze. I don't understand what the problem is. Here are my specs:

2.8 P4
MSI 865PE NEo 2 motherboard
WIndows XP Pro
nvidia 5900 FX

PLEASE HELP!!!

It's possible the sticks could be faulty. There has been two instances when I have had games freeze or my pc in general freeze. 1 was that the RAM was Faulty and or 2 the PC was running at a temperature which apparently was too hot. I slapped an extra case fan in and it ran fine after that. I dont know what sort of cooling you have but it sounds to me that the RAM could be faulty if this just started to happen after you put the RAM in.

Just a couple of thoughts. :)

Possibly your power supply isn't sufficient, or more likely, your mb/ram just can't run four channels at that speed. Have you tried to up the voltage or slow the timings?

Thanks again for the replies

Ok here are my specs according to CPU-Z :

Memory Voltage 2.5
Bus Speed: 828.1
Frequency: 207 mhz
Core Speed: 2898.3 mhz
FSB: DRAM 1:1
Multiplier x 14.0
Clocking: 3.0-3-3-8

Also, my mobo is pretty good and got excellent ratings for overclocking (MSI Neo2 865PE)

Hope these specs are helpful. I haven't tried reducing latency or increasing voltage until I get the okay based on the above specs.

Thanks!

Steve

Back