Doom 3: timedemo demo1

To do a frame rate check, pull down console ( alt + Ctrl + ~ )

My Specs:
2.4Ghz P4
1Gb Ram
PNY Geforce 6800 Standard: 3dmark03 = 8500

I'm not understanding why my FPS is just about the same in all settings accept for Ultra High.

Here are my settings and FPS reading none have AA/AF turned on. My resolution 1028X768 is the same on each setting. I haven't switched anything in Advanced settings in Doom3, so everything is turned on such as bump mapping, special effects, etc. accept for AF--which is turned off.

Ultra High: 26FPS
High: 33.7FPS
Med: 36FPS
Low: 38FPS

If I click the check for best performance setting, it takes me down to 680X400 and I still get 38FPS.

Is this normal? Shouldn't I be getting higher frame rates on low, I mean 2 fps is nothing?
I'm using the latest Drivers that are found at www.nvidia.com

Oh :(

Can I clock my CPU higher, if so, how? Is there some type of proggy like Geforce has if you unlock it?

Or, possibly turn off proggys in the background?

I have Applications tab, and nothing is running in that window.

In Processes TAB, there is all kinds of stuff running, but I'm not sure what to turn off.
I only use this PC to play games and make maps.

I have nothing running in StartUp tab--except for Adobe gamma loader.

Check to see if you have hyperthreading on or off. If it's on, your basically running it with half the cpu resources instead of all for the game.

Rhys said:
Check to see if you have hyperthreading on or off. If it's on, your basically running it with half the cpu resources instead of all for the game.

Where do I check for that?

OneSneakYmousE said:
Where do I check for that?
One easy way is to press ctrl alt del and click on preformance tab. If there are two cpu boxes then you are good.

Rhys said:
LOL, No.

HT doesn't cause a physical partition of the CPU. Running 2 heavy threads of the same priority will do what you describe with HT enabled, but Doom3 seems to play nice with HT enabled unlike a few particular programs. But even with programs that give a dip in performance with HT enabled (OS: WinXP), the hit is anywhere from 1%(typical)-10%(extremely rare). Early Xeons had the worst hit (first iteration of HT).

Any ideas on where I can find information about how to optimise my system to just run games? I have no idea what programs I can turn off in the Processes TAB--if it will icrease performance.

Thanks.

well you are indeed cpu limited at 2.4ghz with a 6800. Dam overclock that cpu its the best oc cpu you can buy. I got one in my machine a 2.4c running at 3.2ghz

Shane said:
well you are indeed cpu limited at 2.4ghz with a 6800. Dam overclock that cpu its the best oc cpu you can buy. I got one in my machine a 2.4c running at 3.2ghz

How do you overclock it though? Could you direct me to information? Thanks :)

pxc said:
LOL, No.

HT doesn't cause a physical partition of the CPU. Running 2 heavy threads of the same priority will do what you describe with HT enabled, but Doom3 seems to play nice with HT enabled unlike a few particular programs. But even with programs that give a dip in performance with HT enabled (OS: WinXP), the hit is anywhere from 1%(typical)-10%(extremely rare). Early Xeons had the worst hit (first iteration of HT).

I was going to check tonight to see how Doom 3 handles HT. I do know that it doesn't take advantage of the technology (Carmark stated as much and said he may put it in with the first patch). I was going to run the timedemo with it on or off and see what the differences are. Even a 10% improvement with it off is worth it.

I do have other software that will max out at 50% utilization because it will only use "one" of the cpu's.

However, depending on your OS, you don't want HT on with Windows 2000 at all. It handles it very poorly. XP does handle it much better.

Again, I haven't tested it yet but I do expect to see some improvements with it off.

Overclockers.com

Check out the sticky guides in the forums in the Intel CPU section. Make sure you know what you're doing and have proper cooling before you proceed. GL.

TheRapture said:
It is called cpu limited.....

I was wondering about CPU limited. Does this mean that I'd probably get the same FPS if I had a 9800Pro?

My benchmarks were different from the 9800 to the 6800.

9800XT 3dmark03 = 5500
G6800 3dmark03 = 8500

Does this matter?

Rhys said:
I was going to check tonight to see how Doom 3 handles HT. I do know that it doesn't take advantage of the technology (Carmark stated as much and said he may put it in with the first patch). I was going to run the timedemo with it on or off and see what the differences are. Even a 10% improvement with it off is worth it.

I do have other software that will max out at 50% utilization because it will only use "one" of the cpu's.

However, depending on your OS, you don't want HT on with Windows 2000 at all. It handles it very poorly. XP does handle it much better.

Again, I haven't tested it yet but I do expect to see some improvements with it off.

Hyper threading allows two processes to go at it synchronously, your spreading comlplete garbage. =/

dont listen yto anything these ppl are saying dude, hyperthreading does nothing to game performace whatsoever.......leave it on, and your proc could use a little tuning, you could get 2.8 ghz out of it and that would merrit a small performance increase.......

ubern00b15 said:
dont listen yto anything these ppl are saying dude, hyperthreading does nothing to game performace whatsoever.......leave it on, and your proc could use a little tuning, you could get 2.8 ghz out of it and that would merrit a small performance increase.......

So, basically, overclocking CPU is changing the FSB? I'm new to this, so I'll be asking a lot of questions.

I can't change the voltage, as there is no option to do so in my BIOS.

Is SoftFSB a good proggy for OCing?

Also, something just dawned on me. Even if I was CPU limited, shouldn't I still be getting high frame rates if I turned down everything to LOW setting?

I mean, I thought this game would run on MX cards with 1.5Ghz.

OneSneakYmousE said:
To do a frame rate check, pull down console ( alt + Ctrl + ~ )

My Specs:
2.4Ghz P4
1Gb Ram
PNY Geforce 6800 Standard: 3dmark03 = 8500

I'm not understanding why my FPS is just about the same in all settings accept for Ultra High.

Here are my settings and FPS reading none have AA/AF turned on. My resolution 1028X768 is the same on each setting. I haven't switched anything in Advanced settings in Doom3, so everything is turned on such as bump mapping, special effects, etc. accept for AF--which is turned off.

Ultra High: 26FPS
High: 33.7FPS
Med: 36FPS
Low: 38FPS

If I click the check for best performance setting, it takes me down to 680X400 and I still get 38FPS.

Is this normal? Shouldn't I be getting higher frame rates on low, I mean 2 fps is nothing?
I'm using the latest Drivers that are found at www.nvidia.com

guess you bought into the hype....

all the experts trying to say it was about the card and not the system

well the lowly x800 pro i have can run 1280 high settings no aa 8af at 58.0 fps in the timedemo.....

shoulda upgraded your system also..

theelviscerator said:
guess you bought into the hype....

all the experts trying to say it was about the card and not the system

well the lowly x800 pro i have can run 1280 high settings no aa 8af at 58.0 fps in the timedemo.....

shoulda upgraded your system also..

I was going to buy the 6800GT, but people told me I'd be CPU limited, so I got the $299 6800. I wanted the best for this system because, at the moment, I can't afford a new system.

Lord of Shadows said:
Hyper threading allows two processes to go at it synchronously, your spreading comlplete garbage. =/
Again, I'm going to test this tonight with D3. HOWEVER! Take an application such as Excel 2000 or 2003, turn off automatic calculation, put in a about 100,000 cells of calcuations. Make sure hyperthreading is on, bring up task manager, click on performance, go back to excel, hit F9

You'll see it hovering around 50% if nothing else is running. If you go under processes and look at excel, it will be stuck at 50%.

AN APPLICATION THAT ISN'T MULTI-THREADED, IT WILL ONLY REACH 50%. However, if it is multithreaded, it will go past 50%.

It's a simple test. Try it yourself.

Most adobe applications are multithreaded.

OneSneakYmousE said:
I was going to buy the 6800GT, but people told me I'd be CPU limited, so I got the $299 6800. I wanted the best for this system because, at the moment, I can't afford a new system.

Thing is, people don't think about it rationally, or all the way thought out (especially these fanboy guys). Or either they don't have all the details, because you could upgrade in the near feature or overclock that CPU and receive a hefty increase in performance by getting that GT. But right now since PCI-E is on the horizen, it's not a bad idea, but personally, I think, if you can afford go for it, you'll enjoy it more. Anyways... Whatever floats your boat. Another thing, dont' go with everyone elses judgement, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that doesn't mean they are right, or that's right for you. Just use what they have to say to help come up with your own conclusions. Don't mean to preach, but think about it the next time you spend cash like that. :)

Just got it installed and did the demo first.

1280x1024 pure mode
Sharp LL191A LCD Monitor 16ms
High detail
Ran it 3 times, last two averaged 82 fps

In the game the FPS flashes between 59 and 60 the entire time.
Haven't messed with AA or AF yet, but it sure looks schweet on the LCD monitor with all the lights in the room off.

lol Rhys, it says "50%" but its really running at 100%, just says 50% b/c windows thinks its a dual processor machine

comp in sig, 44.1 FPS

doom 3 settings:

high detail
1280x1024
0xAA, 8xAF
Everything On

Kinda low, no?

My timedemo #s:

1600x1200 noAA/8xAF High Quality triopts (quality) + af opts, all details on
52fps

1600x1200 2xAA/8xAF High Quality triopts (quality) + af opts, all details on
46fps

p4 3.2 ghz stock, 6800GT stock, 1gb ram

didnt bother shutting off any of my background processes (zonealarm, icq, msn messenger, antivirus, etc) so i prob could get a bit higher if i tried.

43.1 1024x768 high
46.1 1024x768 med
51.0 800x600 high
52.6 800x600 med

no aa/af
open gl balanced.
all in game options on.

System in sig except 9800pro@stock (artifacts and crashes oc'd) and I get 28.6 fps @ 1024x768 med quality. Seems a little low to me... :( Is that low?

v1p3r-386- said:
System in sig except 9800pro@stock (artifacts and crashes oc'd) and I get 28.6 fps @ 1024x768 med quality. Seems a little low to me... :( Is that low?

Yes that's low.

Mine at 1024x768 High quality, everything on except AA/AF.
P4 2.8C @ 3.01
512MB OCZ pc3200
FX 5900nu

50.3 fps

Badger_sly said:
Yes that's low.

Mine at 1024x768 High quality, everything on except AA/AF.
P4 2.8C @ 3.01
512MB OCZ pc3200
FX 5900nu

50.3 fps
Hmm im gonna try a defrag. Possibley a reformat. Do you have that one tweak everyone is talking about on, like setting something from like 20 to 256 (tired can't remember exactly what the tweak is) Anyone have any ideas why mine is so low?

OMG I feel like such a big noob , I forgot doom3 was opengl and I left 2xaa and 2xaf on in the control panel lol. *bashes head against wall for being so stupid*
Edit: ran timedemo w/out aa/af and scored 41.6fps :cool:

rayg said:
lol Rhys, it says "50%" but its really running at 100%, just says 50% b/c windows thinks its a dual processor machine

I was about to say.. .:)
Seriously, whoever said the hyperthreading degrades gaming performance by whatever % is just funny. Not quite 100% but very close to it. Ideally, all subsystem handling will happen on the other side of virtual CPU while one side concentrate on running the game (ie sound). In case of on board sound, this will be better than non HT. Differences on most games however, are well within bound of error. If someone was to take off HT, they should have just gotten AMD IMHO. I recently moved A64 route and kind of miss the smoothness of HT. But the absolute gaming performance advantage can't be denied :)

I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to update my system. I can't believe my frame rates :(

Not sure what to invest in though when I'm short on dough.

System in sig..

1024x768, Medium Quality, 0X FSAA, 8X AF = 40.9fps
1024x768, High Quality, 0X FSAA, "Application Select" in Control Panel = 45.8fps

I will see which runs better tommorrow. What AF does Doom 3 use @ high quality? Any? In High Quality I had hitching when using forced 8x AF, I'll see if my changes made any difference. I would like to play High Quality if possible.

EDIT: Updated...

OneSneakYmousE said:
So, basically, overclocking CPU is changing the FSB? I'm new to this, so I'll be asking a lot of questions.

I can't change the voltage, as there is no option to do so in my BIOS.

Is SoftFSB a good proggy for OCing?

Also, something just dawned on me. Even if I was CPU limited, shouldn't I still be getting high frame rates if I turned down everything to LOW setting?

I mean, I thought this game would run on MX cards with 1.5Ghz.
If you don't have voltage adjustments then you probably won't get very far with fsb overclocking. This entire site was founded years ago to explore the dark arts of oc'ing so there are plenty of resources and people to help you but this is the wrong subforum for that. Try "overclocking and cooling" and the "Intel" forum for the info you seek.

Howdy all,

First, a question:

Does anyone else notice pausing/stuttering when you run the timedemo?. . . it seems like every time it gets really close to a monster (and the very first time the flashlight is brought up), there is a dramatic "hitch" or pause/stutter. It happens throughout the demo. Not just at the beginning. Every few seconds, but especially at the times detailed above.

Anyways. . .

1600x1200 w/ system in Sig
Everything turned on and High Quality
Results: 56.1 fps

Edit: Following everyone's advice and running it several times in rapid succession (the hitching/pausing goes away), my score goes up to: 64 fps.

Thanks!

Hurin said:
Does anyone else notice pausing/stuttering when you run the timedemo?. . . it seems like every time it gets really close to a monster (and the very first time the flashlight is brought up), there is a dramatic "hitch" or pause/stutter. It happens throughout the demo. Not just at the beginning. Every few seconds, but especially at the times detailed above.
Short answer, yes, exactly as you said. Run the timedemo again and it goes away.

you need to run the timedemo more than once

the first time you run it will stutter and drop fps cause its loading or something

then after that you can get some real numbers by running it again

Back