Don't soak an LCD display (especially an ipod) in rubbing alcohol.

Pswayze

Limp Gawd
Edit for know-it-alls and assholes: Listen up all you turds and thread crappers. I posted this as an informative what NOT TO DO for anyone that has this problem. According to this article right here, http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...7_million.html there are 30 million iphone/ipod touches in the wild right now. If only one tenth of 1% of these devices are subjected to liquid damage such as mine, I think that would make 30,000 people with a problem that they would like to fix. That is a small city of people with wet ipods. I put this up so someone does not make the same mistake I did.

Like many other people, I have read countless forum posts saying "NEVER CLEAN YOUR LCD WITH ALCOHOL. YOU'LL DAMAGE IT AND YOUR LEGS WILL FALL OFF AND THE BANK WILL REPOSSESS YOUR HOUSE AND YOU WILL DIE OF WEST NILE VIRUS." I scoured the web and couldn't find any conclusive evidence other than it might eat the anti-glare coating. I decided it was an old wive's tale and risked it. Here is my story.

I'm starting a new thread on this so someone looking to solve this problem via google might have a bit easier time finding this. I purchased an iPod touch 1G 16gb off of craigslist for $30 because someone spilled stuff in it. When the backlight is on, you can see whatever he spilled is still stuck inside the screen. It also did funny things when power management is concerned. Whenever it was charging it would continuously restart. Immediately after "charginging" it would give a "warning: less than 10% battery remaining" and then the battery indicator would slowly fill up over the course of an hour. I removed the battery and soaked the whole thing in rubbing alcohol to clean off all of the sticky crap and in hopes of dislodging whatever is stuck in the screen with a liquid that is more apt to evaporate.

Only kind of Fail.

Before pics- the backlight appears to be uneven because I took the picture at an extreme angle in order to highlight the issue.

img0113v.jpg
img0114zj.jpg

I disassembled the unit, removed the battery, and soaked the LCD and other parts in separate baths for probably 12 hours. Then I put all of it in a giant bowl of uncooked rice and put it in the oven for another 12 hours at about 100 or 150 F. As I type this, it sounds like a recipe...a recipe for disaster. I then reattached the battery and crossed my fingers.

img0117d.jpg
img0115u.jpg

img0116z.jpg

The alcohol did, in fact, affect the substance stuck between the LCD and backlight. It didn't get rid of it completely but it at rearranged it. The outside edges of the LCD itself was obviously most affected because they were exposed to the alcohol the longest as it worked its way in. You might be able to get away with flushing and rinsing, but prolonged exposure is not recommended.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the temperature it was exposed to.

# Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F
(0° to 35° C)
# Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F
(-20° to 45° C)

# Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

People who don't like to pay full price and don't automatically assume everything they read on the internet is true?

(0° to 35° C)
(-20° to 45° C)

A valid concern but those are operating temperatures. Mine was just enjoying a bit of a baking with the battery removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I would think that it is kind of obvious that alcohol won't do what you intend. For it to work the alcohol will need to dissolve everything and then drain out, not evaporate. You should have just taken it apart and see if you can open the display assembly.

Lol I would think that it is kind of obvious that alcohol won't do what you intend. For it to work the alcohol will need to dissolve everything and then drain out, not evaporate. You should have just taken it apart and see if you can open the display assembly.

I did take it apart. I soaked the LCD assembly in its own bath. You can not remove the backlight from the LCD without rendering the entire thing useless.

People who don't like to pay full price and don't automatically assume everything they read on the internet is true?

A valid concern but those are operating temperatures. Mine was just enjoying a bit of a baking with the battery removed.

Yes, hence the non-operating temperature in bold.

Yes, hence the non-operating temperature in bold.

I was implying that the non-operating temperature is a function of the lithium ion battery inside. Since I removed it, I was not worried about the temperature. For better or worse I have left my ipod classic in the my car in the sun and it reached MUCH higher temperatures than the non-op conditions. I'm not saying this is ok to do repeatedly but I don't believe this is what caused the damage.

It does seem like heat. In the last pic near the battery icon, it looks brown, like it was burnt.

(0° to 35° C)
(-20° to 45° C)

It does seem like heat. In the last pic near the battery icon, it looks brown, like it was burnt.

I wasn't clear in the original post. The first two pictures are from after I "baked" it in rice the first time hoping it was just water stuck between the LCD and the backlight.

The second set of pictures are from after I soaked in alcohol and then "baked" it a second time, which is why I still think the alcohol was the real culprit. Either way, I would recommend against both the alcohol and the oven.

the normal process would be to disassemble it and clean it with 99% pure alcohol, not bake it for 12 hours in rice -- what were you thinking?

Are you certain that issue isn't more with whatever film/technology they used for the touchscreen sensor as opposed to the LCD/backlight? Just curious.

Oh, and the process you're describing usually begins with distilled water. IIRC, sugar doesn't dissolve in isopropyl alcohol so it does nothing to clean up after sugary spills (which they almost always are). The alcohol follows for drying effect, not as a solvent, as the alcohol may attack other components. The alcohol will creep and "find" the distilled water in every crevice, dissolve in it, and make it evaporate more quickly in the oven phase. You don't need much exposure to the alcohol to perform this function.

You perhaps could have just used rice and set it in the sun...

Points for trying, and posting about it. :)

the normal process would be to disassemble it and clean it with 99% pure alcohol, not bake it for 12 hours in rice -- what were you thinking?

There is no "normal process" to dislodging gunk stuck between the backlight and LCD. I am very confident that it was the alcohol that actually caused the damage, not heat from the oven. I'm apt to borrow a thermocouple from school and demonstrate that an iPod left in a hot car is subjected to much worse than about 125 F from which I have never seen LCD damage like this.

Also, to anyone else jumping in this thread, please contribute constructive advice. If you think you might be a prick or have nothing to offer except negative criticism, please refer to my edit in the OP.

Also, to anyone else jumping in this thread, please contribute constructive advice. If you think you might be a prick or have nothing to offer except negative criticism, please refer to my edit in the OP.

I'd agree with Chops above that getting a replacement panel might be worth it. You'd still be getting it for less than a new 16gb unit.

The problem with rubbing alcohol is that, if I'm correct, it has glycerin in it which likely does not evaporate along with the alcohol. This is why Isopropanol (I'd hope) would be better.

i just saw a wall of text, but if what happened is what it hink it did, sorry about that, we all make mistakes, hope youre more of a music person.

99% isopropyl with lint free cloth , buy some from your pharmacy. I've been cleaning displays long enough with this stuff to know it works and does not cause warping.

I'm giving you free advice so you dont destroy your equipment next time :)

99% isopropyl with lint free cloth , buy some from your pharmacy. I've been cleaning displays long enough with this stuff to know it works and does not cause warping.

but can you get the stuff from under the display surface?

I'd agree with Chops above that getting a replacement panel might be worth it. You'd still be getting it for less than a new 16gb unit.

The problem with rubbing alcohol is that, if I'm correct, it has glycerin in it which likely does not evaporate along with the alcohol. This is why Isopropanol (I'd hope) would be better.

I think Chops is right but I believe I can buy just the LCD for about $50 instead of a new LCD and digitizer combo for $100. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, according to the bottle, my rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. I don't see any mention of glycerine but i'm not completely sure. I had asked a chemistry professor what I should use and he suggested that I use the 70% mixture instead of pure isopropyl alcohol because he was afraid that it would damage it. Guess he was right!

I actually did use isopropyl. I'm sure the isopropyl is safe for very brief contact for cleaning. My error was soaking it in the alcohol overnight.

Back