Done with Paypal. Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
After giving up on selling on eBay along time ago due to their rising fees, I tried selling an item once more. Well it's turned into a struggle trying to get my money from their pockets to my bank account. Plus other problems with refunds being detained and restrictions.

What alternatives do I have? I know of Amazon payments, how are they now, in terms of simplicity and ease of use, without ridiculous limits.

Edit: I forgot to add, the paypal app is horrible, and causes nothing but problems. See my related thread with slufa111. DO NOT USE THE IPHONE PAYPAL APP!

Last edited:
I'm fed up with Paypal as well. To keep the long story short (and this thread related to this forum), Paypal/eBay will hold some buyers' payments for up to 21 days at their discretion to prevent people from stealing money. I'm an established seller and they held my $265 for 4 days, only because I updated my tracking information early; they could have held it until the 20th.

I used Amazon Payments for the first time using my CC (adding bank account now) on this forum, and it went very smoothly. The interface for sending money is essentially exactly the same, but the only thing it didn't do was send an address like Paypal does. It charges your CC similarly to a regular Amazon transaction (i.e. very quickly). I'm going to stick with it from now on.

google checkout, fees are very reasonable and it's got a good interface and setup. I wish it was more mainstream.

all of the things you describe though are part of online commerce bro. they can't just instantly transfer funds in all cases. transfers to bank accounts only take a couple business days and most of the time you don't have refunds detained unless the transaction is either very large or very out of the norm for the type of activity on your account

it's all very necessary stuff to protect people and a minor inconvenience if you had looked into the policies you agreed to before using the service to make those transactions.......honestly most of the fuss people make over paypal is just them being impatient kids or their problems are a result of them engaging in "less than typical" activities online......

i would probably look at google checkout if i had to choose an alternative but after many years of successful transactions and no problems, I can't be bothered. I have dealt with the stuff you mention in terms of funds being held a few days, it's no big deal.

I have dealt with the stuff you mention in terms of funds being held a few days also .

Its funny, Amazon Payments has the same kind of fees for merchants as does Google Check-out as well as waiting periods for transfers.

all of the things you describe though are part of online commerce bro. they can't just instantly transfer funds in all cases. transfers to bank accounts only take a couple business days and most of the time you don't have refunds detained unless the transaction is either very large or very out of the norm for the type of activity on your account

it's all very necessary stuff to protect people and a minor inconvenience if you had looked into the policies you agreed to before using the service to make those transactions.......honestly most of the fuss people make over paypal is just them being impatient kids or their problems are a result of them engaging in "less than typical" activities online......

I understand waiting for transfers (I do it all the time), but when my payments suddenly go from instant, to "your funds will be available in 21 days," that is the tipping point. It basically says that Paypal doesn't trust sellers at all.

I don't think Amazon's fees apply to private sales, rather only merchants that sell in the marketplace. I'm probably wrong though. However, I did find it to be smooth because I'm already an Amazon user.

Google checkout or MO or check. I was done with Paypal many years ago....

Paypal can't ever seem to link to my bank, always says it doesnt exist. But newegg takes paypal so I usually end up spending my funds there.

I understand waiting for transfers (I do it all the time), but when my payments suddenly go from instant, to "your funds will be available in 21 days," that is the tipping point. It basically says that Paypal doesn't trust sellers at all.

I don't think Amazon's fees apply to private sales, rather only merchants that sell in the marketplace. I'm probably wrong though. However, I did find it to be smooth because I'm already an Amazon user.

But bro if you read you would know its coming. Any time you have transactions that somehow are out of the ordinary for your account, things like suddenly high amounts or out of normal item type....they do it because of out of ordinary circumstances. It could even be something on the other end. Its just part of the convenience. You have to take the good with the bad and the alternative is accepting a check from a stranger. The other payment systems like Amazon and Google have similar policies.

But bro if you read you would know its coming. Any time you have transactions that somehow are out of the ordinary for your account, things like suddenly high amounts or out of normal item type....they do it because of out of ordinary circumstances. It could even be something on the other end. Its just part of the convenience. You have to take the good with the bad and the alternative is accepting a check from a stranger. The other payment systems like Amazon and Google have similar policies.

yeah I guess being a verified Paypal member and seller for 6 years now, with zero problems means I should get treated like a shady backalley out-of-a-van seller.

yeah I guess being a verified Paypal member and seller for 6 years now, with zero problems means I should get treated like a shady backalley out-of-a-van seller.

I think without looking I've been a verified member for longer and I have no trouble with them sitting on a few bucks for a few days. Its no big deal man. Paypal isn't your passive girlfriend ready to take it how you like. Its a business, enter transactions with that attitude and you're golden. Nobody owes you shit. Remember that.

most of the time you don't have refunds detained unless the transaction is either very large or very out of the norm for the type of activity on your account.

Have to disagree here. I sent someone $15.00 as a gift most recently which by now most people know the details on this forum. He refunded it back and several days ago and is currently being held until September 7th. Doesn't make sense. I've had Paypal hold numerous transactions for no damn reason. I've been on there and verified since the 90's without ever an incident. The only reason I use it is because people are still requesting to be paid through it. Otherwise, I'm using something else.

I think without looking I've been a verified member for longer and I have no trouble with them sitting on a few bucks for a few days. Its no big deal man. Paypal isn't your passive girlfriend ready to take it how you like. Its a business, enter transactions with that attitude and you're golden. Nobody owes you shit. Remember that.

thats where you and I differ, paypal is a horrible middleman, I get money, buyer gets item, end of transaction, I dont need paypal to hold on to MY money for another 2-3 weeks, with a potential to get a SNAD scam and be out the product AND money.

thats where you and I differ, paypal is a horrible middleman, I get money, buyer gets item, end of transaction, I dont need paypal to hold on to MY money for another 2-3 weeks, with a potential to get a SNAD scam and be out the product AND money.

thats ridiculous, for one its good to know if i ever get in a transaction with 86 5.0L that after he has my money i am shit out of luck.......secondly there's never a "two to three week hold" on your money unless you are doing something completely out of the norm, and even then i dont see it. honestly i see you making shit up. i have been involved in a transaction once that was WAY out of the norm, my account usually selling computer parts in the $50-$200 range and all of a sudden one day i was selling a $100 worth of clothing items. They held the funds for something like 4-5 days....best part of a week...because i made a move that was well outside of the norm, which is exactly what they should do in such a case.....because there should be a level of protection there....

if you do the appropriate amount of research and use good judgement, you won't be scammed either. there are many things that can go wrong with a transaction. the LEAST of which is how the money is transferred between two parties. you obviously have engaged in some "less than typical" or "less than customary" transactions to be encountering two to three week money holds or being subject to scams

you really should think before you act for a change if this is your problem.

Listen, I was the same as you and perfectly content with paypal, until they decided I was a scam artist and held my money for en extended period of time, 21 days this time.. Refunds are now held 7 days, I wish you the best of luck with paypal, and hope you never have problems.

I'm not going to be some kid on the bandwagon exaggerating things and making stuff up because its "cool" to hate paypal. There's a reason they do what they do. All of the electronic payment systems have similar policies in place. So sooner or later you will get the same treatment from them too and what then? Meanwhile there's plenty of us who have used and continue to use it for years and never had a problem. Is that maybe because I am an adult who has no problem with the occasional hold, especially when I am involved in an out of character transaction? Probably so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon payments is all I plan on using for selling. I don't really care if I am the buyer...

Amazon payments is all I plan on using for selling. I don't really care if I am the buyer...

thats what I meant, as a buyer I have no problem, its selling that just makes me feel like im getting rammed with no lube :eek:

serve.com (formerly revolution money exchange) is a possible alternative (free cc payments at least through the end of the year, but more restrictive than amazon payments, I think)

Bitcoin. (Just kidding)

I haven't had any issues with PayPal since they got sued. My last resort for payment is usually a wire transfer because Amazon and Google can't match PayPal's ubiquity. Online payment systems are intended to be more convenient than cash or check, but signing up for more services and maintaining more accounts makes it considerably less convenient.

I sell a lot on ebay, I used to get the buyer payments instantly. I've never had a negative feedback, plus the person always gets the item in 2-3 business days.

Now they hold my money for ~20 days. Makes no sense.

Paypal isn't worth it. The fees are just beyond ridiculous. I always request Amazon Payments as a seller of anything now. As a buyer, I'll use either. But I always let the seller know of the better alternative.

I'm pretty sick of PayPal as well. I take rent from my renters through PayPal, but I like the idea of the credit card thing with Amazon Payments. Google Checkout is good too, but they have also held money. When I ran an online reseller they held $60k for 60 days at a time. Huge downer for a small retailer. We had to stop using Google Checkout once they did that. We had to cancel our PayPal account for similar reasons. We ended up just only having credit card payments through our website, as they only took 1-2 days to transfer the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back