Domain User Profiles? Wha?

-=FNW=-j@br0n1

Weaksauce
Hey there all...

Quick n00b question:

I have a new Windows 2000 PC I am connecting to the domain here at work.

I want certain settings and such for all users on this computer to be used, such as the following:

* Enable viewing all file extensions (not hidden)
* Removal of all desktop icons
* Disabling the damn "Let me help you connect to the internet" thing that comes up whenever you first run IE
* Disabling personalized menus
* Removal of the "new user" startup screen in Win2000
* A specific webpage to be used as a homepage in IE

I know that "user profiles" can exists (never tried to use them , though), but does it cover things this specific and what happens when a user logs on that does not have a profile specifically set up for him/her?

Now remember - I want all domain users to have the same settings on this PC, not necessarily the same settings for all PC's (I believe that is a roaming profile, no?).

Thanks in advance for some advice and/or direction!

J

Originally posted by -=FNW=-j@br0n1
Hey there all...

Quick n00b question:

I have a new Windows 2000 PC I am connecting to the domain here at work.

I want certain settings and such for all users on this computer to be used, such as the following:

* Enable viewing all file extensions (not hidden)
* Removal of all desktop icons
* Disabling the damn "Let me help you connect to the internet" thing that comes up whenever you first run IE
* Disabling personalized menus
* Removal of the "new user" startup screen in Win2000
* A specific webpage to be used as a homepage in IE

I know that "user profiles" can exists (never tried to use them , though), but does it cover things this specific and what happens when a user logs on that does not have a profile specifically set up for him/her?

Now remember - I want all domain users to have the same settings on this PC, not necessarily the same settings for all PC's (I believe that is a roaming profile, no?).

Thanks in advance for some advice and/or direction!

J

You can start by checking out group policies, in there are seperate settings for users and computers. You can accomplish what you ask by placing that one computer in its own OU, then apply a group policy configuring everything you listed *except* viewing file extensions.

Back