Does this always happen to people here?

Sofakinguseless

Weaksauce
your in a quiet place, bunch of people just sitting around reading books in a library or in a class room. you open your laptop. the fan sounds like its powered by a V12 and everyone stops, turns, and looks at you for about 5 second for each? i have a pretty new gateway 400SD and my fan is sooo damn loud! what can i do?

Your Gateway 400SD notebook is noisy because it is equipped with a desktop CPU. A desktop CPU runs hot so it requires fans running to cool it. I expect that your battery life is short as well for the same reason. I don't know any good way to make such a notebook quieter. You could try replacing the internal fans with quieter ones that match in size, voltage and output (CFM); but I doubt that you would hear a huge difference.

If you want a notebook that is nearly silent in operation, you'll need one with a Pentium M CPU such as the excellent Gateway M505.

Download an application to control the fan speed. Dont know of any off the top of my head, but they do exist, my friend used one on his Inspiron 8000 to slow down his fans.

Just dont leave them off all the time lol; you'll probably fry your chip.

Well, this will go over well when I walk into the classroom with a new Sager next fall. *shrugs*

Back