Does the nVidia Havoc FX solution generate more heat?

LazerWire

Limp Gawd
I have an air cooled system, nVidia 6800Ultra OC.

Recently I installed Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, and have had major heat issues, causing artifacting, crashes, etc. I removed the side from my PC, which took care of the heat issues.

Oblivion is the first Havoc game I've played extensively (Some D&D Online), but untill now, I have never experienced heat issues with my PC, which is well maintained and well ventilated.

My point here is this... in using the GPU to process extensive Physics calculations, will nVidia and ATI be placing undue heat stress on the GPU, which could potentially be easily offset with a PPU?

-LW

LazerWire said:
I have an air cooled system, nVidia 6800Ultra OC.

Recently I installed Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, and have had major heat issues, causing artifacting, crashes, etc. I removed the side from my PC, which took care of the heat issues.

Oblivion is the first Havoc game I've played extensively (Some D&D Online), but untill now, I have never experienced heat issues with my PC, which is well maintained and well ventilated.

My point here is this... in using the GPU to process extensive Physics calculations, will nVidia and ATI be placing undue heat stress on the GPU, which could potentially be easily offset with a PPU?

-LW

First off, you shouldn't be experiencing heat issues just because Oblivion is a Havok game, or for any other reason. That sounds like you're going to either need to back off of your overclock (if you have overclocked), and/or reseat your heatsink.

Secondly, I don't think that the vid card would really produce any more heat than it is already. Adding a ppu to the mix would just heat the entire case up even more (I'm not sure if you've heard how hot these things are), and make things worse for the other components.

Also remember you need 2 cards to be able to utilize what they want. The acceleration wont work with just 1 card. None of the games right now utilize the gpu for physics

psychoace said:
Also remember you need 2 cards to be able to utilize what they want. The acceleration wont work with just 1 card. None of the games right now utilize the gpu for physics
You only need 1 card.

Oblivion only uses regular Havok, not Havok FX.

Reg Havok physics isn't accelerated by the gpu. It's just coding to calculate gravity and force and other junk. It is accelerated by nothing. Still Havok fx is only accelerated by a second card because it needs the full card. 1 Gpu can't be half gpu half ppu at the same time.

psychoace said:
Reg Havok physics isn't accelerated by the gpu. It's just coding to calculate gravity and force and other junk. It is accelerated by nothing. Still Havok fx is only accelerated by a second card because it needs the full card. 1 Gpu can't be half gpu half ppu at the same time.
Do you have a souce to backup what you claim? Everything I have read says that only 1 videocard is necessary

Because nVidia's slides say that Havok FX support single GPU or SLI. Unless your arguing with nVidia.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE0MjczMzA0M0dNNUU1WXozREdfMl81X2wuanBn

Back