Does the Norco RPC-4020 pass existing raid thru?

fritzman

n00b
I have just bought an Norco RPC-4020 case to house my existing raid6 array in, along with a bunch of additional drives. After moving it all across, the LSI Raid BIOS says the drives have gone.:eek:

Background:
Using a standard 8-bay PC case, I set up a fileserver with a standard Gigabyte 1155 board, low power cpu, 8Gb ram and an LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i & 8 x 3Tb Hitachis in Raid6.

Migration:
Carefully noting the cables and which drive they were attached to, I disassembled the old case. Mounted the motherboard, then the raidcard and the drives, connecting the cables the way that seemed logical... bottom-left tray at the front = 0, above it = 4, so 0, 1, 2, 3 across the bottom and then 4, 5, 6, 7 above that.
Around the back, I assumed that each sata connector related to the drive in the same position as the relevant drive tray.

The Problem:
Powered up the machine, and all the fans go, boot process starts up, but when we get to the LSI BIOS, it says that None of the Drives are present... press C to continue or shutdown and check the cables if this is not expected.

The only hardware items that have changed, are two...
1. Instead of my HX1000 psu, I have used a Seasonic 750W bronze one (believing that it would be powerful enough).
2. The Norco has a small electronic board that connects the sata port to the drive.

My thoughts:
Never having had the luxury of a Norco case before... should it simply pass the existing raid config in the drives through or or not?

Is it likely to be as simple as an under-powered PSU? (that certainly is the easiest thing to swap out and test to see if it makes a difference).

Worst case, I can put things back the way they were and back everything up, then move it to the Norco, set up new arrays and migrate the data to the new arrays, but that will be a pita.

Value some thoughts from those who have trod this path with the Norco case before, so I can rule that aspect out or not.

The backplanes have no logic. It's like a SATA cable in PCB format. That power supply is more than adequate too. Not sure why the drives wouldn't show up at all. Try rewiring it to some of the other connectors and move the disks around to see if anything pops up.

Back