Does the different shapes matter?

AnIgnorantPerson

Limp Gawd
I have never had cables with the same shapes as my intel boards. Is there a difference? I always in the past just shoved them in and it worked and asked others in the past and it was never an issue but wanted to double check.

MB: []=square
D[]
[]D

PSU cable:
DD
DD

Does that make sense?

My power supply is a EVGA P1000

Attachments

• 2019-05-26 22.16.17.jpg
    2019-05-26 22.16.17.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2019-05-26 22.15.58.jpg
    2019-05-26 22.15.58.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 0
They are keyed so that they only fit one way. If you tried to plug it in backwards, it wouldn’t fit.

Now, the PSU connector you have appears to have the cable lock act as the method to prevent it from going in backwards.

Also make sure you have the motherboard Aux cable and not a 8-pin PCIe cable

They are keyed so that they only fit one way. If you tried to plug it in backwards, it wouldn’t fit.

Now, the PSU connector you have appears to have the cable lock act as the method to prevent it from going in backwards.

Also make sure you have the motherboard Aux cable and not a 8-pin PCIe cable
huh? My PSU CPU cable has different shapes than the motherboard. Why? and does it matter? Should I just force it in like the last build?

did you not see motherboard has Ds and squares but PSU cable is just D shapes

PSU CPU cable:
D[] DD
[]D DD

MB:
D[] D[]
[]D []D

Attachments

• 2019-05-26 23.07.35.jpg
    2019-05-26 23.07.35.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2019-05-26 23.07.55.jpg
    2019-05-26 23.07.55.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The cable you show is a 8 pin PCIe cable, not the motherboard cable. I see it's labeled CPU, but the pin interlocks don't match up, and the pin interlocks do match a PCIe 8pin. I don't know if they are pin compatible or not, but it looks like it was mislabeled from the factory maybe?

The D [] pins are an interlock to keep you from plugging in a cable backwards, or using the wrong cable. I'm sure you could get a hammer and cave man it in there anyway, but at least you'd realize your probably doing something that you shouldn't be doing.

Does the different shapes matter?

Yes. very much so. They are keyed so that you don't fry your motherboard or other components by plugging in the cable backwards or applying the wrong voltage to the wrong pin.

Spsgx.png

There were other connectors in the past and also OEMs can use different connectors to try to force users to buy a replacement OEM power supply for $200+.

Last edited:
Yes. very much so. They are keyed so that you don't fry your motherboard or other components by plugging in the cable backwards or applying the wrong voltage to the wrong pin.

View attachment 163636

There were other connectors in the past and also OEMs can use different connectors to try to force users to buy a replacement OEM power supply for $200+.
The motherboard looks like it has the proper EPS-12V 8pin CPU pinout.
yea I never got that in any of my EVGA PSUs :/ They are just like the EPS-12v but then the last 4 are all D shapes. Do you know of where i can get one of those cables that is of quality?

You guys see the pictures right and how it is all D shapes on 1. Why is it like that? How do I buy the correct one.

I don't understand why your PS cable is the way you pictured.

Edit:

The funny thing is I have an EVGA Supernova 1000 G2s and it appears to have the same cable. I am checking the cables now.

The non split end seems to be the right one for EPS-12V I will have to look at the power supply side.

With mine there are two 8 pin CPU power cables for this supply. The second one looks like what you have pictured. The first I have installed in my ASUS X470 Prime

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you can insert the split end into your motherboard without issue. I just inserted this cable into my PS into CPU2 and tested the voltages at every pin with a DVM at the split end. The +12V and GND were all correct.

Pin 4 and pin 7 are have rounded off corners on the bottom instead of square.

I did not try to remove the 8 pin CPU cable from my Prime Pro because its in a very tight spot. I can't easily fit my fingers in the location to depress the locking mechanism.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you can insert the split end into your motherboard without issue. I just inserted this cable into my PS into CPU2 and tested the voltages at every pin with a DVM at the split end. The +12V and GND were all correct.

Pin 4 and pin 7 are have rounded off corners on the bottom instead of square.

I did not try to remove the 8 pin CPU cable from my Prime Pro because its in a very tight spot. I can't easily fit my fingers in the location to depress the locking mechanism.
So i can just use the cable even though its off in shapes as long as I use the power supply CPU outputs?

I need 3x4 pin for this MB and I have 2x8 pin CPU power ports. So the all D shape one is fine?

It's made that way so you can use the second half in another 4pin +12v socket if you motherboard had more than one.

Are you sure you don't have the cable turned around? E.G. the end that plugs into a modular PSU attempting to plug into the motherboard/PCIe connector

I thought this when I looked at my cable last night but its a EPS-12V pin out at the PS side and split 4pin on the other end.

I thought this when I looked at my cable last night but its a EPS-12V pin out at the PS side and split 4pin on the other end.
my question is why am i one of the first to post this haha. My last 2 builds i said fuck it and just out it in but this time with how expensive my CPU is I didnt want to take a chance haha

To be honest, I am now pretty sure I went through at least some of this last year when I installed the EVGA 1000 G2 in my X470 system. I had totally forgotten about this.. I expect I used a DVM (digital volt meter) to make sure.

The cable you show is a 8 pin PCIe cable, not the motherboard cable. I see it's labeled CPU, but the pin interlocks don't match up, and the pin interlocks do match a PCIe 8pin. I don't know if they are pin compatible or not, but it looks like it was mislabeled from the factory maybe?

The D [] pins are an interlock to keep you from plugging in a cable backwards, or using the wrong cable. I'm sure you could get a hammer and cave man it in there anyway, but at least you'd realize your probably doing something that you shouldn't be doing.
Mislabeling is the only thing I can think of. Maybe a PCI-E connector got mixed in with the EPS and got crimped onto an EPS cable.

It’s not a PCIe connector. Those only use split 6 pin and 2 pin plugs or single 8 pin plugs. This connector is two 4 pin plugs, one a standard ATX +12v keying, the other non standard keying that will fit into both ATX+12v and the left side of EPS+12v .If he tried to plug the combined connector into a GPU, it wouldn't fit as pin 6 would block.

upload_2019-6-4_12-51-55.png

Back